Re: How will history remember the Jake Allen era?

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:54 am Remember that one good playoff series he had?
I was so convinced he was our goalie of the future after that series. That was legitimately one of the best series I’ve seen from a goalie ever. Game 1 he had like 10 unreal saves, we should’ve gotten smoked.

Also in that series, Magnus Paajarvi of all people scored the OT goal to send us to round 2. Thinking about it, that was the last time we were in the playoffs.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:54 am Remember that one good playoff series he had?
I was so convinced he was our goalie of the future after that series. That was legitimately one of the best series I’ve seen from a goalie ever. Game 1 he had like 10 unreal saves, we should’ve gotten smoked.

Also in that series, Magnus Paajarvi of all people scored the OT goal to send us to round 2. Thinking about it, that was the last time we were in the playoffs.
I was the same; I still think Jake has been mismanaged and had false expectations laid on him. Not entirely his fault IMHO. For some reason every GM and Coach wan'ts to have the 'true #1' who can play 60+ games a season and perform at a top level, even if the D in front sucks wind or the forwards aren't scoring. There are what, like 10, maybe 15 goalies out there like that who can play 60ish games and perform at a top level? Last season there were 15 goalies who played more than 55 games. Talbot, who led the league with 67 GP (.908) , Jake Allen with 59 (.906), and Craig Anderson with 85 GP (.898). were the only goalies who played that many games and had under .910 S%. As I've said many times, Jake's best seasons were when he played under 50 games, and had a better D in front of him. (As much as we dissed on Brad Shaw, he has obviously been missed or never properly replaced at least).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for Binnington, and I sure hope he keeps playing lights out. Hope whomever starts vs TB has a great game, because the team will need it. But the team cannot leave either Jake or Binnington out to dry like they were earlier this season either. And CB and DA need to manage Binnington the right way too, or he's going to stress out too. use them as they are; 1A (Binnington) and 1B (Jake); get Jake some starts...but maybe not tomorrow night :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:33 am... I still think Jake has been mismanaged and had false expectations laid on him.
Anyone who paid attention and watched Jake Allen play for Peoria & the CHI Wolves would have been rightfully skeptical about his future as a #1 goalie at the NHL level. He would display semi-regular flashes of brilliance bookended by head-bangingly awful positioning & slow reactions. No argument from me that the Blues failed to give him support in improving his skills & instead thrust him into an unwarranted position of responsibility (for a unrealistically handsome salary, I must add). But the lack of professional mentoring & skills coaching for NHL goaltenders is a widely recognized historic legacy, so it's incumbent on a modern goalie to spend some of his between-game time & annual millions to get the professional help he needs. For some of them, twice-a-week team practice sessions & pre-game warm-ups just don't offer enough rubber to keep them on the road.

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:33 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 am

I was the same; I still think Jake has been mismanaged and had false expectations laid on him. Not entirely his fault IMHO. For some reason every GM and Coach wan'ts to have the 'true #1' who can play 60+ games a season and perform at a top level, even if the D in front sucks wind or the forwards aren't scoring. There are what, like 10, maybe 15 goalies out there like that who can play 60ish games and perform at a top level? Last season there were 15 goalies who played more than 55 games. Talbot, who led the league with 67 GP (.908) , Jake Allen with 59 (.906), and Craig Anderson with 85 GP (.898). were the only goalies who played that many games and had under .910 S%. As I've said many times, Jake's best seasons were when he played under 50 games, and had a better D in front of him. (As much as we dissed on Brad Shaw, he has obviously been missed or never properly replaced at least).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for Binnington, and I sure hope he keeps playing lights out. Hope whomever starts vs TB has a great game, because the team will need it. But the team cannot leave either Jake or Binnington out to dry like they were earlier this season either. And CB and DA need to manage Binnington the right way too, or he's going to stress out too. use them as they are; 1A (Binnington) and 1B (Jake); get Jake some starts...but maybe not tomorrow night :)
I'm pretty sure Sobotka had a nice little assist on that Pajaarvi goal too. Life comes at you pretty fast.

I think it's becoming increasingly important across the league to have a backup that can give you 30ish starts. Jake is going to have to play over this next stretch just due to the compression of the schedule. Hope he's up for it.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

insideout wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 amI'm not convinced the Allen era is over quite yet. It will be interesting to see what happens when Binnington comes back to earth. I imagine Allen will get his turn again, and it wouldn't surprise me if he plays well. I kinda hope that happens so that the Blues can maybe find someone to take him off their hands.
As long as you are equally unsurprised if Allen sucks pond water when he gets back in the lineup, you will be grounded in Jake-reality.

insideout wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 am I'm not convinced the Allen era is over quite yet. It will be interesting to see what happens when Binnington comes back to earth. I imagine Allen will get his turn again, and it wouldn't surprise me if he plays well. I kinda hope that happens so that the Blues can maybe find someone to take him off their hands.
Someone one said something similar about Wally Pip.

:D J/K

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 pm
insideout wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 amI'm not convinced the Allen era is over quite yet. It will be interesting to see what happens when Binnington comes back to earth. I imagine Allen will get his turn again, and it wouldn't surprise me if he plays well. I kinda hope that happens so that the Blues can maybe find someone to take him off their hands.
As long as you are equally unsurprised if Allen sucks pond water when he gets back in the lineup, you will be grounded in Jake-reality.
Definitely wouldn't be surprised if he sucks pond water. That's inevitable. But it sure would be nice for him to catch fire just long enough for another team to see something in him and take a chance. We've seen his routine long enough to know he's capable of rattling off a string of good games.... and he's surely due.

insideout wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:13 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 pm
Definitely wouldn't be surprised if he sucks pond water. That's inevitable. But it sure would be nice for him to catch fire just long enough for another team to see something in him and take a chance. We've seen his routine long enough to know he's capable of rattling off a string of good games.... and he's surely due.
And, if we expect to make the playoffs in this heavy schedule, we are going to need Jake to play well in the starts he gets.