Re: How will history remember the Jake Allen era?

BlueinNy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 am Watching him slide out of the net yesterday made me sick, he has definitely regressed. He really needs to go, but what GM in his right mind would touch him?
I wrote this in another thread as well, but it seems clear to me that Allen's weak play - especially his positioning (or lack thereof) - is in his teammates' heads. Notice how confident they are in front of Binnington - particularly in their ability to clean up on rebounds. Then watch Forsberg whack in that rebound against Allen to tie the game Sunday, as Parayko stands there with his head up his ass. It just can't be a coincidence that they have their shit together in front of Binnington. They look uncomfortable in front of Allen, and I believe it's because his shaky play has them out of sorts. Then we see brain farts like that of Parayko on the Forsberg goal, and we say "not Allen's fault on that one." I'm not saying the shit defense in front of Allen is excusable, but you can see why it's happening.

insideout wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 am
BlueinNy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 am Watching him slide out of the net yesterday made me sick, he has definitely regressed. He really needs to go, but what GM in his right mind would touch him?
I wrote this in another thread as well, but it seems clear to me that Allen's weak play - especially his positioning (or lack thereof) - is in his teammates' heads. Notice how confident they are in front of Binnington - particularly in their ability to clean up on rebounds. Then watch Forsberg whack in that rebound against Allen to tie the game Sunday, as Parayko stands there with his head up his ass. It just can't be a coincidence that they have their shit together in front of Binnington. They look uncomfortable in front of Allen, and I believe it's because his shaky play has them out of sorts. Then we see brain farts like that of Parayko on the Forsberg goal, and we say "not Allen's fault on that one." I'm not saying the shit defense in front of Allen is excusable, but you can see why it's happening.
I’m not anything close to an elite athlete, but in my experience—and I’m guessing most other posters will agree—playing in front of a goalie who you have no confidence in definitely affects your decision making. You find yourself trying to do your job as well as the goalie’s, instead of trusting them to just make the save, which is not a recipe for success. It wouldn’t be surprising if the Blues defensemen were facing a similar dilemma with Jake Allen in net.

I’d love to see Allen do well, but he’s proven time and time again that—outside of that Minnesota series where he looked like Patrick Roy Jr.—he can’t be trusted to make the needed saves. And at this point in his career, it’s hard to see him reversing the trend.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 am His lateral movement is terrible.

If he gets any slower going side to side when he hugs a post a dman better hug the other one...
Thats the thing though--he's actually not that slow moving side to side. I'd say he's actually pretty quick at it. The problem is that he loses his net so much and overslides, that when he has to slide back he's behind the play because he was way too far out to the other side. Additionally, when he's lost the net and slid out that far its harder to use the post to slide back over, making the move much slower. Like, if you look at the first wrap-chance that Dunn stopped, his issue was that he pursued so far out to his right that it was impossible for him to get back to his left.

If he could just learn to keep his net and not overslide it would fix a good deal of his problems. There would still be the soft goal and confidence issues, but I think he could actually be an average NHL starter if he just would keep hold of his net. At this point I have no hope he's going to start doing that though. If we're noticing it surely his coaches are too and trying to fix it.

To continue my point, here's Jake doing basically the same sort of thing (overcommiting to one side and thus not being able to get into position to stop a goal on the other side) back in the 2015 postseason. Almost 4 years ago. He hasn't learned. Half of his pad here is literally blocking the outside of the goal, and thus he has to chance to get to the other side to make a save.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am To continue my point, here's Jake doing basically the same sort of thing (overcommiting to one side and thus not being able to get into position to stop a goal on the other side) back in the 2015 postseason. Almost 4 years ago. He hasn't learned. Half of his pad here is literally blocking the outside of the goal, and thus he has to chance to get to the other side to make a save.

Yep. That's Jake. Yesterday, as soon as I saw him overcommit to his right, I told my wife, "Watch the wrap around goal." Shure nuff...... :cry:

barnburner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm Yep. That's Jake. Yesterday, as soon as I saw him overcommit to his right, I told my wife, "Watch the wrap around goal." Shure nuff...... :cry:
it's not like that same player tried the exact same move earlier in the same game or anything.

oh, right.

still, that is also on petro. he had every opportunity to play the man and decided to chase the puck for some reason.

T.C. wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:39 pm
barnburner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm Yep. That's Jake. Yesterday, as soon as I saw him overcommit to his right, I told my wife, "Watch the wrap around goal." Shure nuff...... :cry:
it's not like that same player tried the exact same move earlier in the same game or anything.

oh, right.

still, that is also on petro. he had every opportunity to play the man and decided to chase the puck for some reason.
Huh? Petro wasn't on the ice for the wraparound goal, JBo and Eddy were. In any case, its never the D's job to cover the other teams defenseman (Josi in this case who scored on the wraparound).

oh, right.

Because that's what he does.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm

oh, right.

Huh? Petro wasn't on the ice for the wraparound goal, JBo and Eddy were. In any case, its never the D's job to cover the other teams defenseman (Josi in this case who scored on the wraparound).

oh, yeah. that one was weirdly played by JBo, but i definitely wouldn't expect him to play the man.

i was thinking of this one:

How will history remember the Jake Allen era?
It will be remembered as "Armstrong's Folly". Can't Blame Jarmo for spending a 1st Rounder on him. But we certainly can blame Doug Armstrong for giving him a long-term contract for quality NHL starter money to a goaltender who consistently, year-after-year, showed large holes in his fundamental skills (particularly positioning errors, but most disturbing, showed little capacity for cleaning up his bad habits (e.g. learning from his mistakes, and not making them again). Coaches continued to stick with him because of his great athletic skills, hoping he'd get rid of his bad habits. But, after 5 years of continuing to fall into bad habits, ignoring what he was supposed to learn even before Bantams, anyone could see that his problems were mental, and he showed no sign that he would EVER change. After last season, I would have explained my case to Stillman, and brought in another goaltender to be the starter. At this past trade deadline, I'd have traded for a solid back-up for Binnington, and sent Allen to The Rampage to back up Husso. If he'd complain about that, I'd have offered him an early buyout. I wouldn't jeopardise this season's playoff seeding and playoffs to save some money. I think Stillman would have gone along with that. If that would have meant not being able to fit Del Zotto under the cap, so be it.

Robb_K wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:21 pm How will history remember the Jake Allen era?
It will be remembered as "Armstrong's Folly". Can't Blame Jarmo for spending a 1st Rounder on him. But we certainly can blame Doug Armstrong for giving him a long-term contract for quality NHL starter money to a goaltender who consistently, year-after-year, showed large holes in his fundamental skills (particularly positioning errors, but most disturbing, showed little capacity for cleaning up his bad habits (e.g. learning from his mistakes, and not making them again). Coaches continued to stick with him because of his great athletic skills, hoping he'd get rid of his bad habits. But, after 5 years of continuing to fall into bad habits, ignoring what he was supposed to learn even before Bantams, anyone could see that his problems were mental, and he showed no sign that he would EVER change. After last season, I would have explained my case to Stillman, and brought in another goaltender to be the starter. At this past trade deadline, I'd have traded for a solid back-up for Binnington, and sent Allen to The Rampage to back up Husso. If he'd complain about that, I'd have offered him an early buyout. I wouldn't jeopardise this season's playoff seeding and playoffs to save some money. I think Stillman would have gone along with that. If that would have meant not being able to fit Del Zotto under the cap, so be it.
That's a perfect recap/insight.