John Gibson

This probably belongs in the Trade thread, but it's more wishful thinking than possibility.
Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) tweeted at 8:28 PM on Mon, Feb 04, 2019:
John Gibson went straight down the tunnel after getting pulled and still hasn't returned to the Ducks bench about 10 minutes later.
Could it be a Patrick Roy situation all over again? :o

Seriously, though, he carried the Ducks all season, & now he's just being assaulted.
Ducks are 2-12-4 in their last 18 games, giving up 33 shots/gm & being outscored 68-31 in that time. With their age issues, & salary issues, things are bleak in SoCal.

I realize he just signed an extension, but maybe Gibson's reached his tipping point, & wants a fresh start? Maybe Cam Janssen can use his former connections with the same agency representing Gibson to plant a seed in his ear about how great St. Louis would be for him & his career? ;)

To add some salt to his wounds, here's a quote after the game tonight:
Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) tweeted at 9:36 PM on Mon, Feb 04, 2019:
Jake Muzzin on the #NHLDucks: "I think the game of hockey is transitioning to a skilled, fast game like we have here [in Toronto] and over there it’s tough. The big guys, sometimes they just can’t handle the speed and skill that some of these Eastern teams have.”
Im sure thst inspires a ton of confidence in an already beaten-down team & it's goalie.

Its a total pipe dream, but if the Blues could coax Anaheim into moving him, that's your goalie situation wrapped up, right there.

Re: John Gibson

Some Anaheim perspective from Steve Palumbo:
Everybody in and around the organization has got to be boiling over with frustration. From the players, the coaches, to the fans and even the broadcast team; all seem resigned to the fact that simply scoring a goal is a bonus.

We know how bad things have been over the last month and a half, but it's been bleak for most of the season. Anaheim's record is only palatable because of John Gibson's heroics. But, even Gibson can't save this team anymore. He's been pulled in three consecutive games. He got the hook after allowing five goals on 35 shots.

Anaheim's been outscored 23-5 during this latest four-game skid. The Ducks situation is dire and I can't help but think they are the worst team in the NHL right now. 

Let's look at some of the evidence. 

- Anaheim's 2-8-2 record in the last 10 games in the worst of any team during that span. 

- The Ducks have scored one or fewer goals in 10 of the past 18 games. 

- They're not just losing, they are being curb-stomped. The Ducks have lost by three or more goals 12 times this season. 

- They have a polar vortex-like minus-40 goal differential. 

- Anaheim's 120 goals for, rank 30th in the NHL, one behind L.A,. Yay... #BeatLA

- With 21 wins, they are tied for 28th in the league in victories and only two better than last place Ottawa. The Sens have played one less game too.

- When they go on a losing streak they really make it count. The Ducks have losing streaks of seven games (0-5-2), 12 (0-8-4) games and now four games (0-4).

- They get worse as the game rolls along. They have been outscored by 24 goals in the second period and by a dozen in the third. 

- Once upon a time, the Ducks could never be counted out of a game. Nowadays, they are doomed even when they fall behind early. They are 4-13-1 when trailing after one period, 6-17-2 when trailing after two periods and only 9-3-3 when LEADING after 40 minutes of play. 

- John Gibson has faced over a 100 shots more than any other netminder in the league.

I could keep piling on, but I think you get my point. At least they get to go back at it in less than 24 hours vs. a red-hot and rested Montreal Canadiens team. 

Thanks for reading,
Steve
Sounds like a team that needs a rebuild to me.

BlueinNy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:12 pm Well in my view I think we have our goalie and his name is Binnington.
Binnington has been excellent, for sure, and Anaheim is likely not moving John Gibson anywhere. But....

If you ARE given the opportunity to grab one of the top 3-5 goalies in hockey, though, you take it & don't think twice.

BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:47 am How can Carlyle not get fired this week? It has to be happening any minute now.

Funny thing is they’ve only won 2 games out of their last 18, yet still only 3 points out from wild card.
That's how far Gibson carried them to start the season. You can see how all season long he's been bombarded with shots, but early on, he's was stopping everything. Eventully, as the graphs show, it's caught up to him.
I don't for an instant think they'd actually mske him available, but ya gotta feel for the guy when he's had to do it alone for do long

Poor Gibson's just going to have to ride it out for another couple months before the dynamite is taken to the rest of the roster. I've heard a couple places that Carlyle still has his job because ownership/front office just doesn't like firing coaches midseason. At this point I think that's fine since they're clearly going nowhere and need to be rebuilt, but you'd think if they'd pulled the plug a few weeks ago they'd still have a playoff spot.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:10 am Poor Gibson's just going to have to ride it out for another couple months before the dynamite is taken to the rest of the roster. I've heard a couple places that Carlyle still has his job because ownership/front office just doesn't like firing coaches midseason. At this point I think that's fine since they're clearly going nowhere and need to be rebuilt, but you'd think if they'd pulled the plug a few weeks ago they'd still have a playoff spot.
Anaheim goes full tank mode. Gibson for Allen, Husso, Kostin, and a pick. Goalies become gods some how in Anaheim (Gibson, Andersen, Hebert, Giguere, Bryz, Hiller). Allen may realize his potential finally.

I hope you all know that offer is complete sarcasm.

I would love if we could get Gibson, without giving up our entire future to do so. I have really like Gibosn since he lost to LA int he playoffs his rookie year, where Sutter was talking negatively about his age. Gibson gave ANH the opportunity to move on from Andersen (another goalie I would prefer over what DA deemed as the #1) for what now seems wasted (thanks to this season).

So yes, I would be ecstatic to have Gibson in a Bluenote.

But let's be honest, how many of us actually think Army wouldn't over pay for Gibson. A team needs to have a cut-off they're willing to pay for goal-tending. Goalies don't score goals, we need goal scoring in this faster paced NHL.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:32 am I would love if we could get Gibson, without giving up our entire future to do so. I have really like Gibosn since he lost to LA int he playoffs his rookie year, where Sutter was talking negatively about his age. Gibson gave ANH the opportunity to move on from Andersen (another goalie I would prefer over what DA deemed as the #1) for what now seems wasted (thanks to this season).

But let's be honest, how many of us actually think Army wouldn't over pay for Gibson. A team needs to have a cut-off they're willing to pay for goal-tending. Goalies don't score goals, we need goal scoring in this faster paced NHL.
Conversely, there's absolutely no way the Ducks would trade him unless it was an overpay. He's one of the only pieces of that roster that can give Duck fans hope. I would be absolutely floored if he were traded anytime soon.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:05 am
Cotton McKnight wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:32 am I would love if we could get Gibson, without giving up our entire future to do so. I have really like Gibosn since he lost to LA int he playoffs his rookie year, where Sutter was talking negatively about his age. Gibson gave ANH the opportunity to move on from Andersen (another goalie I would prefer over what DA deemed as the #1) for what now seems wasted (thanks to this season).

Conversely, there's absolutely no way the Ducks would trade him unless it was an overpay. He's one of the only pieces of that roster that can give Duck fans hope. I would be absolutely floored if he were traded anytime soon.
I guess he's a Duck unless he wants to test free-agency when he becomes RFA.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand nevermind, he is locked up until 2026/27.