Re: Blues 2019 Trade Deadline thread

So Parayko for Puljujarvi++ is garbage and won't happen, but Parayko would be a great fit for Edmonton.

If the Blues get themselves into a Wild Card spot before the deadline, I think they may disappoint many on this board by standing pat. I do think that no matter what, Armstrong acquires a first round pick before the draft if they don't keep their own.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Unless there is more coming from Edmonton, I don't see that happening. Plus the guy that did the presser yesterday said they weren't going to mortgage prospects or future picks I believe.
With that said, I have been paying close attention to Puljujarvi and I'd be very interested in him. I think there is still a lot of potential there.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am Unless there is more coming from Edmonton, I don't see that happening. Plus the guy that did the presser yesterday said they weren't going to mortgage prospects or future picks I believe.
With that said, I have been paying close attention to Puljujarvi and I'd be very interested in him. I think there is still a lot of potential there.
I could see Edmonton moving the prospects for a guy like Parayko that is still young and has a lot of years left on his deal. I think what he probably meant was that they won't flip them for rentals or even a guy like Schenn that only has a year left.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 am That + after Puljuarvi's name better be a big damn plus sign because that's ridiculous.
He might just be a late bloomer because he straight up dominated his peers at the WJC's a few years ago. He was straight up on a different level then everybody else. I mean we are talking guys like Marner, Point, Rantanen,Matthews, Tkachuk and Pastrnak. Oh and he did it as a 17 year old too!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 am That + after Puljuarvi's name better be a big damn plus sign because that's ridiculous.
He might just be a late bloomer because he straight up dominated his peers at the WJC's a few years ago. He was straight up on a different level then everybody else. I mean we are talking guys like Marner, Point, Rantanen,Matthews, Tkachuk and Pastrnak. Oh and he did it as a 17 year old too!
Maybe, but I think he's more PRV and Nail than he is Hall. Can you trade CP55 on a gamble? I'd want something a bit more of a sure thing of who we know what a guy is.
Just a Russian propaganda account

I think if they trade anyone, it's Schenn. I don't see them trading Parayko, I don't see Pietrangelo or Steen waiving their NTC's.

I guess Schwartz is a dark horse.

I suppose that if it's known that Pietrangelo will only accept a trade to a couple of teams, then those teams will attempt to low-ball the Blues. I still think the required payback is a good roster forward, a draft pick and a prospect.

SpacemanSpiff wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:16 am I think if they trade anyone, it's Schenn. I don't see them trading Parayko, I don't see Pietrangelo or Steen waiving their NTC's.

I guess Schwartz is a dark horse.

I suppose that if it's known that Pietrangelo will only accept a trade to a couple of teams, then those teams will attempt to low-ball the Blues. I still think the required payback is a good roster forward, a draft pick and a prospect.
I would agree with you except I'm sure he grew up dreaming of playing for Toronto, that's the one time I could see him moving his young family for. But obviously just a guess. Someone go see if his house is on the market.

Dubas was interviewed the other day and he mentioned that talks had progressed on an extension with Matthews. He said he'd obviously like to get it done before the trade deadline so he'll know how much room he has to work with next year before making any deals, but didn't know if that would happen. To me that is relevant to a big Toronto trade, and certainly one that would Pietrangelo. I don't think Dubas makes any big trades until he knows about where Matthews extension is going to come in at. Marner and his agent have made it clear they're not talking to after the season, so it's going to be tough for him to make any big deals that involve contracts beyond this season until he has an idea of what that Matthews ticket looks like.

If the Blues are trading with Edmonton for a guy named Pjärvijiiäji again, it seems like Perron would be the right fit going the other direction, no?

Expanding on the overall topic of the trade deadline, if the Blues have short-term and/or long-term personnel strategies, I'd love to know what they are. It is entirely unclear what they are trying to accomplish right now. I don't think they even know.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:39 am Dubas was interviewed the other day and he mentioned that talks had progressed on an extension with Matthews. He said he'd obviously like to get it done before the trade deadline so he'll know how much room he has to work with next year before making any deals, but didn't know if that would happen. To me that is relevant to a big Toronto trade, and certainly one that would Pietrangelo. I don't think Dubas makes any big trades until he knows about where Matthews extension is going to come in at. Marner and his agent have made it clear they're not talking to after the season, so it's going to be tough for him to make any big deals that involve contracts beyond this season until he has an idea of what that Matthews ticket looks like.
We can solve his issues by taking Marner off his hands for him.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:15 am
Maybe, but I think he's more PRV and Nail than he is Hall. Can you trade CP55 on a gamble? I'd want something a bit more of a sure thing of who we know what a guy is.
Oh I wouldn't trade Parayko for him unless there was more coming back. I think everybody's opinion is that he's Paajarvi or Yakupov....but maybe thats just because he's an oiler and has a stigma associated with that? When I watch him, he reminds me a lot of Oli Jokinen more so than players mentioned.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am Unless there is more coming from Edmonton, I don't see that happening. Plus the guy that did the presser yesterday said they weren't going to mortgage prospects or future picks I believe.
Yeah. I don't see Edmonton making big moves from now until the draft. They will likely try to get rid of UFA's and overpriced contracts as rentals.

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:23 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:15 am

Oh I wouldn't trade Parayko for him unless there was more coming back. I think everybody's opinion is that he's Paajarvi or Yakupov....but maybe thats just because he's an oiler and has a stigma associated with that? When I watch him, he reminds me a lot of Oli Jokinen more so than players mentioned.
I don't think he is those guys, I just think he's closer to that than say he is to being Oskar Sundqvist. As for the Jokinen comp, are you saying he also likes waffles?

Surely I have woke up in the twilight zone. After half a season of turrible play by our Blues we are 4 points in front of last place and just 3 points out of a playoff spot.

These guys are going to screw up being sellers at the deadline and were not going to get our first round pick, all while missing the playoffs.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:42 am So Parayko for Puljujarvi++ is garbage and won't happen, but Parayko would be a great fit for Edmonton.

If the Blues get themselves into a Wild Card spot before the deadline, I think they may disappoint many on this board by standing pat. I do think that no matter what, Armstrong acquires a first round pick before the draft if they don't keep their own.
I agree, I believe the DA and Stillman think the playoffs are still reachable with this team, sucks, but it should mean no movement.

39hurricane wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:43 pm Surely I have woke up in the twilight zone. After half a season of turrible play by our Blues we are 4 points in front of last place and just 3 points out of a playoff spot.

These guys are going to screw up being sellers at the deadline and were not going to get our first round pick, all while missing the playoffs.
Draft Position
By Point % (Which I like to go by since it tends to even out the disparity in games played), the Blues, at .500 even, are in a FOUR-way tie for the #8-11 overall draft picks (21st through 24th overall) with Anaheim, Arizona, and Florida. Unless we really sack games, it's not likely we'd get better than drafting #6 or #7 overall. Ottawa, Chicago, Detroit, New Jersey, and Philadelphia all suck far more than we do, and Edmonton is kind of in a state of turmoil right now, even though they're only one point below .500.

Wild Card Race
In the Western conference, we are in a THREE-way tie for 10th, so we'd need to leap over at least two other teams (Vancouver and Colorado) to get the #8 spot, while outperforming two other teams we're tied with (Anaheim and Arizona). We have at least one game in hand against all four of those teams, but winning that one game alone wouldn't be enough to catapult us to the #8 spot. Dallas sits in the #7 spot with 3 more points than us, and the same number of games played, so even reaching the #7 spot isn't entirely out of reach. Edmonton, in the #13 spot, also has the same number of points as us, and have only played 1 more game, so it's not unrealistic that they could catch up to us.

Basically, there are 7 teams that are from 3 points above .500 to 1 point below .500, all realistically vying for the #7 and #8 spots. Crazy.