Re: Blues 2019 Trade Deadline thread

I liked Faulk at one point....haven't checked in on him in awhile but looking at his stats...he looks like he's been regressing. I honestly don't watch a lot of Hurricanes games but it doesn't look like he's producing too much to me. I don't know that he's a better option then Dunn at this point.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

39hurricane wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 am Marcus Johansson? We can fit him under the cap.

Watching On The Fly on the NHL network Stu was saying Alec Martinez is the perfect guy to bolster our LHD. He fits under the cap but he is also signed for 2 more years at the current age of 31. (Gunnar and Bouw would surely have to be off the roster next year.)
One of them would have to be off the roster this year if you acquired another LHD

"Suck a dick Johansen"

BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 am
BlueinNy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:29 am

I have no issues with this team making a bigger trade. Let's go for that cup! Identify the weakness, correct the weakness.
I agree with you, the only weakness I can spot would be lack of PP goals. The team is playing like a team which inherently will get you opportunities with a man advantage, and yet they struggle to score, last game excluded. When the big dance starts if you don't score on PP you're probably out early, special teams are magnified 10 fold in the second season. Either that glaring deficiency is addressed or I fear we're in for more disappointment.
I'll throw my 2 cents in. Big Justin Faulk fan, love his game, would love to see him here. He would be ideal for our PP............but Tim is right, it isn't happening :lol: That would almost be like a 3 way trade with Carolina and Toronto with Petro going to Toronto and the Blues getting Faulk plus futures.
I don't know what Faulk's price would be, but I don't know that you need to move one of the core D out to make room. In theory adding Faulk would just shift Bortuzzo to the pressbox. That'd leave you with 8 D once Gunnar gets back, which should be any day now. I don't think shipping out one of those two would be too much of a shakeup. I'm not saying I necessarily expect this deal to go through this week, but I wouldn't say it's out of the question.

Faulk has another year left on his deal at $4.8M, a great value. I'd imagine the price would be somewhat futures heavy, but maybe Faulk is the subject of Armstrong's much ballyhooed "hockey trade". Dundon likes physical players, they need forwards and I imagine are interested in youth...I imagine a small piece of this very hypothetical trade is Sammy Blais.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:37 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 am
BlueinNy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 am
I agree with you, the only weakness I can spot would be lack of PP goals. The team is playing like a team which inherently will get you opportunities with a man advantage, and yet they struggle to score, last game excluded. When the big dance starts if you don't score on PP you're probably out early, special teams are magnified 10 fold in the second season. Either that glaring deficiency is addressed or I fear we're in for more disappointment.
I'll throw my 2 cents in. Big Justin Faulk fan, love his game, would love to see him here. He would be ideal for our PP............but Tim is right, it isn't happening :lol: That would almost be like a 3 way trade with Carolina and Toronto with Petro going to Toronto and the Blues getting Faulk plus futures.
I don't know what Faulk's price would be, but I don't know that you need to move one of the core D out to make room. In theory adding Faulk would just shift Bortuzzo to the pressbox. That'd leave you with 8 D once Gunnar gets back, which should be any day now. I don't think shipping out one of those two would be too much of a shakeup. I'm not saying I necessarily expect this deal to go through this week, but I wouldn't say it's out of the question.

Faulk has another year left on his deal at $4.8M, a great value. I'd imagine the price would be somewhat futures heavy, but maybe Faulk is the subject of Armstrong's much ballyhooed "hockey trade". Dundon likes physical players, they need forwards and I imagine are interested in youth...I imagine a small piece of this very hypothetical trade is Sammy Blais.
Carolina is battling for a WC spot so I agree it would have to be a hockey trade for Faulk or Dougie Hamilton.
Just a Russian propaganda account

I don't personally like the idea of trading for PP help on the defensive end. I think they just need to shift the thinking of the defensemen on the PP. Dunn or Petro can be the D on PP1 and you can have the other on PP2. I'd keep PP1 with Tarasenko off the left, Thomas off the right, then O'Reilly and Schenn down low. PP2, I'd have Parayko in Tarasenko's spot ready to blast 1 timers with Bozak on the right feeding him cross ice with Perron and Schwartz down low right now. Maroon and Steen shouldn't sniff the PP. The only problem I foresee is giving Parayko enough confidence to just let that shot loose. He has a cannon, but he needs to use it on that PP with a little more accuracy.

Justin Faulk has 2 PP goals & 5 PP points, off of 46 shots (+14 missed shots) in 182 PP minutes this year.

Over the last 2 years COMBINED, he has 5g-19a-24p on the PP, w/ 102 shots (39 misses) in over 405 minutes of PP time.
.74g/60min
3.6pts/60min
15.11s/60min
5.78 misses/60min

Compare to Alex Pietrangelo last 2 yrs:
4g-16a-20p 69 shots (28 misses) in 364 PP min.
.66g/60min
3.3pts/60min
11.4 shots/60min
4.6 misses/60 min

Point being, IMO Justin Faulk really isn't much of an upgrade to what the Blues already have, & when factoring cost plus salary, I'd rather target someone else.
Last edited by usmcaaron on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

39hurricane wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 am Marcus Johansson? We can fit him under the cap.

Watching On The Fly on the NHL network Stu was saying Alec Martinez is the perfect guy to bolster our LHD. He fits under the cap but he is also signed for 2 more years at the current age of 31. (Gunnar and Bouw would surely have to be off the roster next year.)
Would love to get MOJO on our team, would be a great fit and allow Steen and Sanford to play bottom 6 roles once DP also comes back....if he ever does.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

usmcaaron wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:05 pm Justin Faulk has 2 PP goals & 5 PP points, off of 46 shots (+14 missed shots) in 182 PP minutes this year.

Over the last 2 years COMBINED, he has 5g-19a-24p on the PP, w/ 102 shots (39 misses) in over 405 minutes of PP time.
.74g/60min
3.6pts/60min
15.11s/60min
5.78 misses/60min

.66g/60min
.33pts/60min
11.4 shots/60min
4.6 misses/60 min

Point being, IMO Justin Faulk really isn't much of an upgrade to what the Blues already have, & when factoring cost plus salary, I'd rather target someone else.
I think the reason the totals are down is because Hamilton took over PP1 duties in Carolina. All of the rates per 60 are appreciably better than Petro, so it makes sense to me if they want to upgrade there. Plop him on the 3rd pair and PP1 and you should see some improvement in both areas. I'm not clamoring for Faulk, but I see the fit. I'd rather have him than Hamilton, who despite a great deal of talent sure does get traded quite a bit. I'm sure the cost for Hamilton would be uncomfortable as well.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:12 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:05 pm Justin Faulk has 2 PP goals & 5 PP points, off of 46 shots (+14 missed shots) in 182 PP minutes this year.

.74g/60min
3.6pts/60min
15.11s/60min
5.78 misses/60min

.66g/60min
.33pts/60min
11.4 shots/60min
4.6 misses/60 min

I think the reason the totals are down is because Hamilton took over PP1 duties in Carolina. All of the rates per 60 are appreciably better than Petro, so it makes sense to me if they want to upgrade there. Plop him on the 3rd pair and PP1 and you should see some improvement in both areas. I'm not clamoring for Faulk, but I see the fit. I'd rather have him than Hamilton, who despite a great deal of talent sure does get traded quite a bit. I'm sure the cost for Hamilton would be uncomfortable as well.
I don't see them as appreciably better. He has 1g & 4pts more in over 40min more ice time. He misses the net at a greater frequency than Petro also, & we know how frustrating that is to watch.

Im not sure why you think Hamilton has taken over on the #1 PP, because Faulk has double the PP ice time , even if you break it down to 20 , 10, or 5 games. Last game Hamilton say :16 sec on the PP, compared to 1:09 for Faulk.

usmcaaron wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:26 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:12 pm

.74g/60min
3.6pts/60min
15.11s/60min
5.78 misses/60min

.66g/60min
.33pts/60min
11.4 shots/60min
4.6 misses/60 min

I don't see them as appreciably better. He has 1g & 4pts more in over 40min more ice time. He misses the net at a greater frequency than Petro also, & we know how frustrating that is to watch.

Im not sure why you think Hamilton has taken over on the #1 PP, because Faulk has double the PP ice time , even if you break it down to 20 , 10, or 5 games. Last game Hamilton say :16 sec on the PP, compared to 1:09 for Faulk.
I stand corrected on the Canes PP units, you're right about Faulk being on PP1 right now. Not sure if it's been that way the majority of the year, but no doubt about that being the case currently. Regarding the per/60 rates, I have a different view about the missed shots. Sure it's frustrating to see guys miss the net, but I'd rather have a guy that's attempting 20 shots per 60 minutes on the PP than the guy that's attempting 15. He doesn't seem to have produced much on the PP this year, but historically he's been solid there.

Again, I'm indifferent towards Faulk overall, but I see the fit on paper.

.74g/60min
3.6pts/60min
15.11s/60min
5.78 misses/60min

.66g/60min
3.3pts/60min
11.4 shots/60min
4.6 misses/60 min

I appreciate you pulling stats.

With that being said, Justin Faulk has displayed over the course of his career that he is one of the best offensive d-men in the game on the PP. Pulling his stats for the past two seasons would be like pulling Tarasenko's stats the past two seasons to compare him to another player. It's just not a fair comparison that is going to tell you the whole story of the player.

Beyond that, this isn't even a Faulk vs Petro debate. The Blues are much improved if you have Faulk on PP1 and Petro on PP2. Not because Faulk is far and away better than Petro on the PP but because Petro is far and away better than Parayko and his 1 PP assist on the 2nd unit.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 pm

.74g/60min
3.6pts/60min
15.11s/60min
5.78 misses/60min

.66g/60min
3.3pts/60min
11.4 shots/60min
4.6 misses/60 min

With that being said, Justin Faulk has displayed over the course of his career that he is one of the best offensive d-men in the game on the PP. Pulling his stats for the past two seasons would be like pulling Tarasenko's stats the past two seasons to compare him to another player. It's just not a fair comparison that is going to tell you the whole story of the player.

Beyond that, this isn't even a Faulk vs Petro debate. The Blues are much improved if you have Faulk on PP1 and Petro on PP2. Not because Faulk is far and away better than Petro on the PP but because Petro is far and away better than Parayko and his 1 PP assist on the 2nd unit.
I just find him to be highly overrated. 1/3 of his 36 career PP goals came in one season (15-16, if Im not mistaken), & for his salary, plus the cost of acquisition, I don't think he really brings enough to the table. Just my opinion.

usmcaaron wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:25 pm

.74g/60min
3.6pts/60min
15.11s/60min
5.78 misses/60min

.66g/60min
3.3pts/60min
11.4 shots/60min
4.6 misses/60 min

I just find him to be highly overrated. 1/3 of his 36 career PP goals came in one season (15-16, if Im not mistaken), & for his salary, plus the cost of acquisition, I don't think he really brings enough to the table. Just my opinion.
That’s fair, but this is the Internet. We either have to already agree or yell at each other for a couple of hours until we are so far off topic that we forget what we originally started with.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:16 pm

That’s fair, but this is the Internet. We either have to already agree or yell at each other for a couple of hours until we are so far off topic that we forget what we originally started with.
"That Jayne Mansfield had some big breasts"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

I DON'T THINK DREAD IS EVEN A REAL PIRATE!!

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 pm

You know, anyone who could get a jealous side-glance from Sophia Loren HAD to be something:
Sophia_and_jayne.jpg Sophia_and_jayne.jpg Viewed 15878 times 15.29 KiB

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:59 pm

You know, anyone who could get a jealous side-glance from Sophia Loren HAD to be something:

Sophia_and_jayne.jpg
Hot as hell.

Sophia_and_jayne.jpg
Sophia was pissed because reportedly, Jayne deliberately walked over and sat down at her table, in order to steal most of the attention from the photographers. 😄

Sophia_and_jayne.jpg
I don't think ive ever seen that pic....she was stunning.

"Suck a dick Johansen"