Re: Blues 2019 Trade Deadline thread

barnburner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:47 pm I know everyone would like to get rid of Steen's contact and cap hit, but when I watch him play, he has a way of being in the right place to make important plays, particularly defensive.
You got me biting my tongue Barn!!!! Biting my tongue I tell ya! :lol:
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm
barnburner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:47 pm I know everyone would like to get rid of Steen's contact and cap hit, but when I watch him play, he has a way of being in the right place to make important plays, particularly defensive.
LOL.. Yeah, I didn't figure that post would be well received. :D

I don't know if any of the Steen-centric locker room division rumors are true, but when healthy Steen is generally a very useful player. He's still overpaid and he's hurt all the time, but now that he's off PP1 (and PP2 for that matter), I don't think there's much to complain about with his play. I wonder how Perron's return impacts Steen and the rest of the lines.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm
I don't know if any of the Steen-centric locker room division rumors are true, but when healthy Steen is generally a very useful player. He's still overpaid and he's hurt all the time, but now that he's off PP1 (and PP2 for that matter), I don't think there's much to complain about with his play. I wonder how Perron's return impacts Steen and the rest of the lines.
Ill give you that he's not a complete waste of a roster spot, but all the things he was known for (scoring ability, defensive acumen, playing with an edge) have faded. He's not a TERRIBLE player, but his role can be filled w/out a ton of difficulty, for much cheaper. That's all the more reason to move him out, while there might be value to other teams.
There's too much smoke, for too long, with the locker room rumors for there to not be something there, so I really believe this year/offseason is the time to cut bait & move on.

Steen is still decent defensively, his hockey IQ hasn't diminished just his physical ability and quickness. Five years ago he was a pretty good skater in this league. Age and the rest of the league getting faster have now rendered him one of the slower skaters in the league. I will always appreciate what Steener brought but father time is undefeated and he's knock... Who am I kidding he's sitting on Steener's couch waiting for him to get the fuck out of the shower.

barnburner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm Whatever issues there were in that room, I get the impression that Berube slammed the door on it.
I still think those issues were way overblown. Especially when a team is directionless and struggling, you're going to get grumbling and guys snapping at each other. JR likes to stir the pot but his track record on things isn't exactly stellar. Though I would believe that Steen's a grump and can be a dick he comes off that way IMO.

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 pm
barnburner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm Whatever issues there were in that room, I get the impression that Berube slammed the door on it.
That’s what Michelletti said during the game. Berube didn’t like the locker room and he put a stop to that. So all those rumors are true. Berube is showing he’s worthy of being a NHL head coach.
Good to hear that someone with Joe's credibilty passed that along.

barnburner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 pm
If Steen was on the 4th line making about $1-2M, that'd be a good spot for him. For now though, the right spot would be one of the other teams in the NHL, or KHL, or Swedish league :) He is terrible in the offensive zone and has not been a good linemate for Schwartz/Bozak.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 am

If Steen was on the 4th line making about $1-2M, that'd be a good spot for him. For now though, the right spot would be one of the other teams in the NHL, or KHL, or Swedish league :) He is terrible in the offensive zone and has not been a good linemate for Schwartz/Bozak.
I wish I could disagree, but we better pick a different subject if that's going to happen.

Is his cap hit excessive? Sure. But that's Army's fault, not Steens. How many players are going to say, "No, I won't accept that contract. Cut it in half, and we'll talk."
My point was simply that I do not agree with the opinion that most seem to have, that Steen is worthless as a player. Clearly he's not the player he once was, due to age
and injuries. I just think he's still an effective role player. Again, yes, his cap hit is ridiculous. But my lone opinion is that as a player he is the not the piece of garbage that most see him to be. But. That's just me, and i really admit that I'm old and probably senile. :D

barnburner wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:33 am

Is his cap hit excessive? Sure. But that's Army's fault, not Steens. How many players are going to say, "No, I won't accept that contract. Cut it in half, and we'll talk."
My point was simply that I do not agree with the opinion that most seem to have, that Steen is worthless as a player. Clearly he's not the player he once was, due to age
and injuries. I just think he's still an effective role player. Again, yes, his cap hit is ridiculous. But my lone opinion is that as a player he is the not the piece of garbage that most see him to be. But. That's just me, and i really admit that I'm old and probably senile. :D
Steen is still useful, but overpaid. Certainly not his fault he got that contract, who wouldn't sign that. Conversely, of course you could replace him with roughly as reliable of a player for much less in a perfect world. If he stays healthy and his game doesn't fall off a cliff at some point, fine, you can manage the overpay without too much trouble. Since he probably won't stay healthy, it'd be great to see if you can move him, but I don't know that I want to do so if teams are going to want the pot sweetened due to that contract. We're already going to have to bite the bullet in some fashion to get rid of Allen.

If I had to choose between either Allen or Steen to 'unload', I'm moving Steen each and every day because his role can be replaced by someone much cheaper and already in the system. Move Allen, you are either bringing up another rookie from SA, OR having to bring back another goalie in the trade.

I think wait until after the season to reevaluate Binnington, give him a 2 year 'bridge deal' and move Allen in the offseason at the draft, when GMs memories are shortest, and we can pick up an Elliott or Hutton type 1B backup.

Steen, move now. It's not a hate thing, as I respect Steen and think he is a 'good role player' but he is the one we most need to move on from, IMHO.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 am If I had to choose between either Allen or Steen to 'unload', I'm moving Steen each and every day because his role can be replaced by someone much cheaper and already in the system. Move Allen, you are either bringing up another rookie from SA, OR having to bring back another goalie in the trade.

I think wait until after the season to reevaluate Binnington, give him a 2 year 'bridge deal' and move Allen in the offseason at the draft, when GMs memories are shortest, and we can pick up an Elliott or Hutton type 1B backup.

Steen, move now. It's not a hate thing, as I respect Steen and think he is a 'good role player' but he is the one we most need to move on from, IMHO.
I don't think either of them are unloaded until the offseason. For me I'd much much much rather move Allen. As you said, not a hate thing, but he's just not remotely trustworthy in his role anymore, no matter what that role is. Steen breaks down often, but at least he can play well in his own end and does a good job on PKs. Allen just can't reliably stop enough pucks.

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 am If I had to choose between either Allen or Steen to 'unload', I'm moving Steen each and every day because his role can be replaced by someone much cheaper and already in the system. Move Allen, you are either bringing up another rookie from SA, OR having to bring back another goalie in the trade.

I truthfully think Vegas would take a run at Steen because Stastny would probably talk him up. That's also a place I could see Steen waiving to go since Stastny is there. You shouldn't get 1st round pick, but you might get a 3rd or later and a B prospect. Would clearing that cap space for next year make sense for the Blues? I think it would. A little cap flexibility is always a good thing.

wannabebluesplayer wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:53 am

I truthfully think Vegas would take a run at Steen because Stastny would probably talk him up. That's also a place I could see Steen waiving to go since Stastny is there. You shouldn't get 1st round pick, but you might get a 3rd or later and a B prospect. Would clearing that cap space for next year make sense for the Blues? I think it would. A little cap flexibility is always a good thing.
"The only real trade I believe Armstrong will actively pursue would be moving out Steen. His NTC makes that tough, but I wonder if Vegas might be a match. Their 3rd line wingers (Oscar Lindbergh & Valentin Zykov) have offered very little, so there could be a fit in the lineup. As for Steen waiving, his best buddy Stastny plays there, & they're a top level team headed to the postseason, so I think it's something he'd consider. Whatever return offered would be a net-positive for the Blues.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 pm"

Great minds think alike, as they say. :lol:

usmcaaron wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am

"The only real trade I believe Armstrong will actively pursue would be moving out Steen. His NTC makes that tough, but I wonder if Vegas might be a match. Their 3rd line wingers (Oscar Lindbergh & Valentin Zykov) have offered very little, so there could be a fit in the lineup. As for Steen waiving, his best buddy Stastny plays there, & they're a top level team headed to the postseason, so I think it's something he'd consider. Whatever return offered would be a net-positive for the Blues.

Steen to Vegas does seem like a plausible in season trade. They have the cap space for this year and the life of Steen's contract, but I wonder if they'll be big game hunting rather than making deals for what will amount to a complimentary player for them. Not sure what the return would look like at all, but it's a good bit of speculation from you two.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:57 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am

Steen to Vegas does seem like a plausible in season trade. They have the cap space for this year and the life of Steen's contract, but I wonder if they'll be big game hunting rather than making deals for what will amount to a complimentary player for them. Not sure what the return would look like at all, but it's a good bit of speculation from you two.
Steen, Fabbri, and Allen for Subban and Reaves! (I wish)

I'm biased because I already picked these two players up on NHL19 right before the trade deadline, but I'd love for the Blues to acquire Simmonds and Marcus Johansson. Both UFAs attend of year, and shouldn't be too expensive as rentals. Would give some good size, skill, and speed to the team.
"Do Only Good Everyday"