Re: Blues 2019 Trade Deadline thread

ratonmono wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 pm They need to somehow dump Steen and trade Maroon. I'm not budging on that opinion. A big move is an offseason thing most likely. I'd still love to get rid of Bozak too. Can't believe I'm about to say it but I'd also think long and hard about re-upping JayBo for a year or two. I'd love to grab Stone somehow but don't know that we have the ammo.
Doesn't Steen have a NTC? I'd agree with everything above though. Either way, I can't stomach Steen and Bozak here next year. Don't see any way we dump both though. I'd imagine Army's #1 priority is dumping Allen so we may be stuck with the other 2 for another year

ZBLUES_85 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm
ratonmono wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 pm They need to somehow dump Steen and trade Maroon. I'm not budging on that opinion. A big move is an offseason thing most likely. I'd still love to get rid of Bozak too. Can't believe I'm about to say it but I'd also think long and hard about re-upping JayBo for a year or two. I'd love to grab Stone somehow but don't know that we have the ammo.
Doesn't Steen have a NTC? I'd agree with everything above though. Either way, I can't stomach Steen and Bozak here next year. Don't see any way we dump both though. I'd imagine Army's #1 priority is dumping Allen so we may be stuck with the other 2 for another year
I'm actually fine with keeping Allen through next season at least as a backup/split with Binnington. Loving Binnington so far but he hasn't proven to be able to be a true #1 just yet. Remember Allen had a very hot start to his career too. Though the comparisons do end there, Binnington is a much more fundamentally sound goalie.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:26 pm
I'm actually fine with keeping Allen through next season at least as a backup/split with Binnington. Loving Binnington so far but he hasn't proven to be able to be a true #1 just yet. Remember Allen had a very hot start to his career too. Though the comparisons do end there, Binnington is a much more fundamentally sound goalie.
That's where you lost me.

I think a LOT will depend on Perron's targeted return date. There's no question we need him, and would rather have him bump someone down the lineup, or out altogether, but I don't know that we can trade away our depth, even as 'overpriced' as it may be.

Same with our defensemen like Gunnar and Bouw. They're both playing REALLY well (when not injured), and Dunn is still playing VERY protected minutes, and we don't have much after that.

I don't think we'll make any major moves, as much as people want to get rid of certain players, at least right now, everyone seems to be playing their roles pretty well.

barcthespark wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:03 pm
ratonmono wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:26 pm

That's where you lost me.
Haha! Figured I'd lose a lot of people with that opinion but I still think he's fine as a backup. Just overpaid. Of course once upon a time I was a big Allen supporter so I've never been as down on him as some are. I'd much rather find a way to dump Steen, Maroon, and Bozak than Jake.

Charles Hudon continues to be available per the rumor world. Habs looking for a mid round pick. Blue all the sudden could use some help at LW. I'd be interested for sure. He can be a bit of a prima donna at times but I believe he's the classic case where change of scenery could do him well.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 am Charles Hudon continues to be available per the rumor world. Habs looking for a mid round pick. Blue all the sudden could use some help at LW. I'd be interested for sure. He can be a bit of a prima donna at times but I believe he's the classic case where change of scenery could do him well.
Would he really provide that much more than Fabbri, even if Fabbri never regains his pre-injury form?

RAFritchey wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:14 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 am Charles Hudon continues to be available per the rumor world. Habs looking for a mid round pick. Blue all the sudden could use some help at LW. I'd be interested for sure. He can be a bit of a prima donna at times but I believe he's the classic case where change of scenery could do him well.
Would he really provide that much more than Fabbri, even if Fabbri never regains his pre-injury form?
At this point, I believe he would. We still don't know what we have in Fabbri and his contract is up. I don't know what his future is here anymore.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Not that we need another center but Kevin Hayes is a nice player....plays a big game, skates well, seems to have a presence on the ice. I'd hate to see him end up in Nashville. Wonder if the Blues would be interested with the Tkachuk factor and everything. He's a UFA at the end of the year. Maybe they'd take two years of Bozak and a prospect.....I know wishful thinking.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Another reason I think the Blues won't do much of anything at the deadline now that they've clawed back into a playoff spot, there are just so many teams that are going to be buyers. Tampa, Boston, Nashville, Winnepeg, Calgary, and Vegas are obvious buyers, and teams like Pittsburgh and San Jose always find a way to do something. I just don't think Armstrong is going to like his position enough to outbid any of those teams for a big difference maker. I could see some tweaks for sure, but I think the price for some of the big ticket items is going to be too high.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

RAFritchey wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am He's not as dominant as he used to be, at least not this season, and he'd probably be a rental (I don't know if we could re-sign him and he'd probably want to explore UFA this Summer anyway), but I read that Wayne Simmonds might be available from Philly.
Preds, Leafs, and Bruins all interested in him....i doubt we can even afford it. The Preds are gonna land somebody big. No way Poile is happy losing two this weekend against a team that all sudden could be a 1st round matchup for him. I have to think he's going to make a lot of noise in the next two weeks. Probably going to have to trade Fabbro and Tolvanen.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Tap gthe brakes there Blues fans. There's still several tough games on the schedule before the trade deadline. Do you believe Army is going to switch to buying mode? I'm not convinced yet. We missed the playoffs after trading Stas away, maybe that will be motivation enough to add a piece.

I would like to see Army do both actually.

1. Get a second rounder for JBouw
2. Add a scoring left winger by trading Fabbri and Schmaltz

39hurricane wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 am Tap gthe brakes there Blues fans. There's still several tough games on the schedule before the trade deadline. Do you believe Army is going to switch to buying mode? I'm not convinced yet. We missed the playoffs after trading Stas away, maybe that will be motivation enough to add a piece.

Bouwmeester has actually been one of our best defenders for a little while now. Given our lack of depth on defense now, I think swapping him out for Butler, or over-exposing Dunn, would be a mistake.

39hurricane wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 am Tap gthe brakes there Blues fans. There's still several tough games on the schedule before the trade deadline. Do you believe Army is going to switch to buying mode? I'm not convinced yet. We missed the playoffs after trading Stas away, maybe that will be motivation enough to add a piece.

Earlier in the season I'd agree with the bolded, but that this point JBo has been pretty solid for us. Unless someone is willing to overpay for his services then I'm holding onto him.

As far as us being buyers, I feel like we almost have to be. We aren't going to finish in the bottom 10 (which would have saved us our first round pick), so we basically have to make the playoffs to make this season worth anything. If Army feels like this trade needs a move to get in then he's going to do it. He's never been afraid to make a move at the deadline.

RAFritchey wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am He's not as dominant as he used to be, at least not this season, and he'd probably be a rental (I don't know if we could re-sign him and he'd probably want to explore UFA this Summer anyway), but I read that Wayne Simmonds might be available from Philly.

That'd be my dream acquisition if DA could make it, especially if we could re-sign Simmonds. Love his toughness and his overall game.

Allen, Fabbri, and Kostin plus a 3rd for an extended Simmonds and a 2nd....or since this is Philly, a 1st :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

if we can get literally anything for JBo, we are a better team long-term. the "he's been good for a few games now" up and down of his bullshit is not the way forward. steen has been good for a few games now too, but he also needs to go. they aren't the only ones. if you can literally get anything for some of these guys, you make us better next year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am Wayne Simmonds has been a Blues message board darling for about the last 4 trade deadlines.
The only way I would want Simmonds is if Maroon is leaving. Plus, I wouldn't want an extension to quickly for him. I think the jury needs to be out on any bigger player. Granted, Simmonds can skate and is more offensively skilled, I'd be optimistically cautious with him.

I really don't see any major moves in the horizon for the Blues. They've finally started playing up to Armstrong's pre-season expectations, and even the players say they're finally gelling, so I have a hard time believing he'll change anything now.

Even Bouwmeester, if he's moved, leaves a hole, because you can't rely on Gunnarson to stay healthy, & that leaves only Butler as insurance.

The only real trade I believe Armstrong will actively pursue would be moving out Steen. His NTC makes that tough, but I wonder if Vegas might be a match. Their 3rd line wingers (Oscar Lindbergh & Valentin Zykov) have offered very little, so there could be a fit in the lineup. As for Steen waiving, his best buddy Stastny plays there, & they're a top level team headed to the postseason, so I think it's something he'd consider. Whatever return offered would be a net-positive for the Blues.

The only big-name target the Blues should pursue, IMO, is Mark Stone. He's elite offensively & defensively, and he'd immediately 2 top lines for teams to deal with. He's a RH version of what Jaden Schwartz is SUPPOSED to be, only he reaches that level with little support, year-in & year-out.

I wouldn't wanna empty the prospect pool for him, but I don't think that's what it would take either, since he's a UFA. Get him here, let him dominate, sign him to an extension.

usmcaaron wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:50 pm The only big-name target the Blues should pursue, IMO, is Mark Stone. He's elite offensively & defensively, and he'd immediately 2 top lines for teams to deal with. He's a RH version of what Jaden Schwartz is SUPPOSED to be, only he reaches that level with little support, year-in & year-out.

I wouldn't wanna empty the prospect pool for him, but I don't think that's what it would take either, since he's a UFA. Get him here, let him dominate, sign him to an extension.
I'd love to see Stone in the Note, but without a first for us to trade I simply do not see it happening.