Re: Berglund rules out playing this season.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:16 pm If this was a mental health issue, which it seems to be, then a lot of people let him down. His agent, the League, the team and especially the NHLPA.
hey, maybe in 20 years someone in the NHLPA will feel like filing a documentary about trying to find him living in the woods, homeless.

(i'm saying the NHLPA doesn't have a track record of giving a shit about its alum. or, frankly, the current members)

T.C. wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:43 pm
BluesSK wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:16 pm If this was a mental health issue, which it seems to be, then a lot of people let him down. His agent, the League, the team and especially the NHLPA.
hey, maybe in 20 years someone in the NHLPA will feel like filing a documentary about trying to find him living in the woods, homeless.

(i'm saying the NHLPA doesn't have a track record of giving a shit about its alum. or, frankly, the current members)
Agreed, TC

Matangama wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:46 pm
T.C. wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Agreed, TC
[/quote

Same here. They give nothing but lip service.

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:16 pm This also means that Rutherford is a click-baiting piece of shit.
YUP!

And it's pathetic how little credence is given to any people with disability or mental illness, but that's for another day.

I truly hope that Berglund get's back to a healthy state of mind, and if he come back to play hockey, I hope he loves it. If he goes away from hockey I wish him all the best.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:16 pm This also means that Rutherford is a click-baiting piece of shit.
YUP!

And it's pathetic how little credence is given to any people with disability or mental illness, but that's for another day.

I truly hope that Berglund get's back to a healthy state of mind, and if he come back to play hockey, I hope he loves it. If he goes away from hockey I wish him all the best.
I'm glad he is trying to get help. I hate to see anyone suffer.

Any type of mental illness is nothing to laugh about, look down upon, or ignore. People of all walks of life have suffered through various forms of mental illness and they deserve dignified help. I respect Berglund for recognizing there is a problem and taking the drastic steps needed to get help. Hopefully he can get the help he needs and also become a positive role model for others going through something similar. Too many times we don't find out someone has been suffering silently until it is too late.

I may have told this story here before, but once while I was working at a hockey camp one of the young campers came to the nurses station to check in. After he walked away, the nurse told me "You never know what kind of baggage these kids are carrying with them. A month ago he found his mom's body after she committed suicide, yet you would never know it just by seeing him." That moment left a life changing mark on me and I've never looked at anyone the same since.

barcthespark wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:07 pm Any type of mental illness is nothing to laugh about, look down upon, or ignore. People of all walks of life have suffered through various forms of mental illness and they deserve dignified help. I respect Berglund for recognizing there is a problem and taking the drastic steps needed to get help. Hopefully he can get the help he needs and also become a positive role model for others going through something similar. Too many times we don't find out someone has been suffering silently until it is too late.

I may have told this story here before, but once while I was working at a hockey camp one of the young campers came to the nurses station to check in. After he walked away, the nurse told me "You never know what kind of baggage these kids are carrying with them. A month ago he found his mom's body after she committed suicide, yet you would never know it just by seeing him." That moment left a life changing mark on me and I've never looked at anyone the same since.
I think everyone has been affected by depression in one form or another, and it is a much bigger problem than anyone realizes. I hope Berglund gets help and finds his way to a normal life.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 pm Good luck Bergy. Get well soon! I've been dealing with major depression and bi-polar disorder for most of my adult life. It sucks but it's treatable.
The hardest thing I've had to learn is that how I deal with my personal issues and challenges isn't how I should expect others to deal. When I get depressed, it hits hard and fast, and I've learned to recognize and deal with by 'letting the negative out' by either physical activity or listening to dark music. My wife on the other hand is more self talk and therapy and it lasts longer, so I have to be patient and listen and support.

The hardest thing is seeing someone you love depressed and not being able to 'cure' them. But by being there for them and listening and ensuring they get the help they need is what they need. Not sure if this makes sense, as it's not easy to talk about, and I'm fucking tearing up as I type this. I lost a brother to suicide a few years back, and one of my best high school friends took his life senior skip day almost 30 years ago. I still have the scars I made on my hands from dealing with that loss back then. It took years before I opened up to someone about the hurt that caused, but the memory of his mom's sadness and carrying his casket had always been a reason I kept going, even when times were darkest. That, and knowing tomorrow is s new day. I think of the few times when I was younger and moments away...and I'd have never met my wife, nor been a father to me beautiful girls.

/
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I have family members who suffer from depression, including one who attempted suicide as a teenager. Years ago it was a taboo subject that people were shamed into not talking about. I'm glad that nowadays it's much more acceptable for those in pain to be able to come forward. It's very important that people know they can be open about depression and have people to talk to. There is no shame in it.

Yep, it's not easy to discuss, and not sure if I've shared before publicly before. It's scary as you fear being judged or even ridiculed or as you said shamed. Fuck it. We have no problem saying we have cancer, diabetes, ED, arthritis, or other 'physical' ailments. Yet when we talk about issues with the mind, it's still taboo. And imho that's due to humanities ignorance and very limited understanding of the mind. And when we don't understand something, it's easier to dismiss or have fear of it, instead of pledging to support in whatever way we can.

And here I am about to say 'sorry for talking about such a deep and dark subject"...we are like programed to apologise for even discussing mental health. We don't apologise though for talking about exercise, diets, nutrition, etc. Crazy ain't it?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:41 pm Yep, it's not easy to discuss, and not sure if I've shared before publicly before. It's scary as you fear being judged or even ridiculed or as you said shamed. Fuck it. We have no problem saying we have cancer, diabetes, ED, arthritis, or other 'physical' ailments. Yet when we talk about issues with the mind, it's still taboo. And imho that's due to humanities ignorance and very limited understanding of the mind. And when we don't understand something, it's easier to dismiss or have fear of it, instead of pledging to support in whatever way we can.

And here I am about to say 'sorry for talking about such a deep and dark subject"...we are like programed to apologise for even discussing mental health. We don't apologise though for talking about exercise, diets, nutrition, etc. Crazy ain't it?
Very well said.