Re: Sanford called up, Thorburn sent down

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:40 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 pm The fact that they are doing this move leads me to believe they don't expect Jaden back for the next one
I'm expecting the "Schwartz to be reevaluated" tweet from JR at any moment.... :lol:
Tim, let's say Schwartz comes back in 3 weeks, then plays well...

Could we trade him? For who?

I would! For a second next year and a good canadian center prospect. I'm just too tired of this good player mising 20-30 games every season.

We haven’t seen Sanford play in well over a year basically, I think it’s a little unfair to judge him off of that tiny sample size in what was basically a rookie year.

He’s already scored twice for the Rampage this season and from the looks of it he was playing C down there. He should have no trouble playing wing in a bottom-6 role for us. Certainly a better option than Thorburn.

insideout wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 am At what point did so many people sour on Sanford? I haven't seen enough of him to formulate an opinion, but my recollection is that he was potentially a good depth guy. Cost-controlled bottom-sixers are good to have.
I've never seen a guy his size so easily moved off of the puck. Granted it's been awhile since I've seen him play, but when I did, I didn't see much to like.
Just a Russian propaganda account

So I guess since it's not a gameday, this seems like the appropriate thread to post this:

I like giving Kyrou a shot with O'Reilly and Tarasenko, that should be a fun line to watch. With Schwartz looking like he'll be back, it's interesting that Sanford is rotating in for Thomas. I don't know that he'll actually get that spot tomorrow, but I would be pretty disappointed if that were the case.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

They have been having Sanford play center in San Antonio. My guess is that the plan was for Sanford to get his feet wet at center in the AHL while giving Thomas a taste of the NHL. Thomas will then be sent back to OHL after 9 games letting him play at the World Juniors for Canada then possibly bringing him back into the team after the Tourney.

newfiepicks wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm They have been having Sanford play center in San Antonio. My guess is that the plan was for Sanford to get his feet wet at center in the AHL while giving Thomas a taste of the NHL. Thomas will then be sent back to OHL after 9 games letting him play at the World Juniors for Canada then possibly bringing him back into the team after the Tourney.
Thomas has nothing left to prove in the OHL.

I believe if we release him back to the OHL there is no calling him back outside of an emergency situation (which is highly unlikely) until his season ends.

Also, we can keep him around and still let him play in the WJC. Not sure the Blues would do that, but I believe that Montreal did that last year with a player (can’t remember who off the top of my head).

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:20 pm
newfiepicks wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm They have been having Sanford play center in San Antonio. My guess is that the plan was for Sanford to get his feet wet at center in the AHL while giving Thomas a taste of the NHL. Thomas will then be sent back to OHL after 9 games letting him play at the World Juniors for Canada then possibly bringing him back into the team after the Tourney.
Thomas has nothing left to prove in the OHL.

I believe if we release him back to the OHL there is no calling him back outside of an emergency situation (which is highly unlikely) until his season ends.

Also, we can keep him around and still let him play in the WJC. Not sure the Blues would do that, but I believe that Montreal did that last year with a player (can’t remember who off the top of my head).
Correct...can't recall Thomas if you send him back until after his season is done. No need to send him down after 9 games when you still have the 39 game rule as well. All Thomas needs is more ice time.
Also that player in Montreal that you're thinking of was Victor Mete.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

I know the idea for most young players is the more icetime they get, the better it is, but since the NHL is really the only option this year for Thomas, keep him up here. Unfortunately more injuries will occur, so there will be opportunities for Thomas to get top 9 playing time, but even with his limited role right now, I would have to believe he is learning more about being an NHL professional than if he went back down to the minors for the season. Thomas, like Kyrou this year, will not see AHL time even next season when he is eligible. Just too much talent. Let him grow this season with the Blues, give him some extra chances as guys get banged up and he earns the chance, but he needs to stay up here, IMO.
"Do Only Good Everyday"