The Athletic: NHL goalie tiers ranking

https://theathletic.com/544951/2018/09/ ... directed=1

Jake Allen came in at 19 of 31. Tier 4 ranking.

Tier 1 guys: Bobrovsky and Vasilevskiy.

"The Blues did a great job of upgrading their roster into one that should contend for a Stanley Cup, but it’s fair to question whether or not they did the right thing in goal. Carter Hutton is gone and Allen is surrounded by uncertainty.

“They’ve gone for it in all the other areas. I think this area is going to kill them,” said a coach of the Blues goaltending.

Another coach was more optimistic.

“Good structure there,” said the coach. “I think Jake will find his way.” "
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: The Athletic: NHL goalie tiers ranking

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 am https://theathletic.com/544951/2018/09/ ... directed=1

Jake Allen came in at 19 of 31. Tier 4 ranking.

Tier 1 guys: Bobrovsky and Vasilevskiy.

"The Blues did a great job of upgrading their roster into one that should contend for a Stanley Cup, but it’s fair to question whether or not they did the right thing in goal. Carter Hutton is gone and Allen is surrounded by uncertainty.

“They’ve gone for it in all the other areas. I think this area is going to kill them,” said a coach of the Blues goaltending.

Another coach was more optimistic.

“Good structure there,” said the coach. “I think Jake will find his way.” "
Considering how unpredictable goalies are, I have a feeling Jake will be the #1 goalie and win awards when the season is done.

Or he may be average, with his typical ups and downs.

Or he may just suck ass the whole season.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Doug Glatt wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:21 am You've really narrowed it down, Bradley. Great analysis. :lol:
I figured if I ever want to be a sports commentator or play by play guy, got to start with the basics of CYA, so you can always say "I told you so".

Like last night's MNF game: "Fitzpatrick, wow, what a story, he's showing he is more than a journeyman!" After 3 interceptions: "This is why Fitzpatrick is a journeyman QB" and then after his almost comeback "Wow, the journeyman may have made a touch decision for the Buc's coaching and management moving forward". Just such BS all the time.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

insideout wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 pm “They’ve gone for it in all the other areas. I think this area is going to kill them.”

My vastly under-qualified opinion matches this assessment. Hope I'm wrong... certainly wouldn't be the first time.
Just because they start the season with Allen as their #1 doesn't mean that's how they end it. If this team looks like it has a legitimate shot at winning the Cup, and Allen looks mediocre, they have the assets still to go all in and get a goalie they trust.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:40 pm
insideout wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 pm “They’ve gone for it in all the other areas. I think this area is going to kill them.”

My vastly under-qualified opinion matches this assessment. Hope I'm wrong... certainly wouldn't be the first time.
Just because they start the season with Allen as their #1 doesn't mean that's how they end it. If this team looks like it has a legitimate shot at winning the Cup, and Allen looks mediocre, they have the assets still to go all in and get a goalie they trust.
The Blues will have to clear salary to bring salary in.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:50 pm
MattyIce wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:40 pm

The Blues will have to clear salary to bring salary in.
True... but with some guys on the last year of their contracts, it should be doable.
I am with you guys, though. Goaltending could be an issue. I would rather Allen play lights out and calm our fears than have to make a deadline move and give up youth/picks for another goalie.
KA-KAW!

Could Allen be among the best goalies in the league and potentially win the cup? Absolutely. Could Allen be among the worst goalies in the league and see his career derail? Absolutely. That level of inconsistency is why I think the Blues just need to move on. The kid has undeniable talent but you just don't know what you'll get. How could any team with cup aspirations count on that? Too risky.

BillP wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:44 pm "We will rally around Chad Johnson and play good hockey."

--- Mike Yeo come next April
Yeo harnesses his inner Vermeil, cries at the press conference while also urging the squad to "rally around Chad Johnson." :lol:

Another scenario I can see happing: If Allen gets injured for a length of time, the door may swing wide open for Husso to come up and take the reins. Goaltending really will be the variable this year. I don't care who plays, as long as we have a solid goaltender in there come playoff time.
KA-KAW!

BillP. wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:16 pm
blueslifer wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:29 am I really don't care if Allen craps the bed every single January, as long as that doesn't happen in April, May, or June.
Exactly, it's all about getting hot at the right time. If Niemi can win a Cup, then the door is pretty much open to anyone.
Getting hot at the right time, and having 4 Hall of Famers playing in front of him in Nimei's case.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:17 pm
blueslifer wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:29 am I really don't care if Allen craps the bed every single January, as long as that doesn't happen in April, May, or June.
Well, last year the January swoon meant the team wasn't playing in April, May or June, so I care.
January swoon was no more reason than PP , team defense, horrible goal scoring, and injuries contribution to last year's team not making the playoffs by a single point. It's a team game, and this is a different team.

blueslifer wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:23 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:17 pm
Well, last year the January swoon meant the team wasn't playing in April, May or June, so I care.
January swoon was no more reason than PP , team defense, horrible goal scoring, and injuries contribution to last year's team not making the playoffs by a single point. It's a team game, and this is a different team.
It is a team game, and every night the goalie is the most important player on the team. I am opposed to losing points every year for a month and just shrugging it off because Allen always sucks that time of year.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Blues were 15th in the NHL last year in team save percentage with a save pct. of .909.

3 playoff teams had a worse save pct than the Blues. 18th place New Jersey at .908, Philly who was 22nd at .903 and Pittsburgh at 25 with .902

Interestingly, Florida was 6th in the NHL with .914 and they missed the playoffs.