Re: Sundqvist signs 1-year $700k

wannabebluesplayer wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:Sounds like a one-way deal. Hopefully he gets buried in the minors. He filed for arbitration yesterday, so this avoids that.
If it's one-way, I don't see how he gets buried.
Players on one-way contracts can be sent down, all one-way means is that the player gets paid the same salary if they're in the AHL or NHL.

As far as being buried, for 2018-2019 the amount of money that counts agaisnt the NHL cap for a players in the minors is anything over $1,025,000. So if Sundqvist gets sent down, none of his salary will count against the NHL cap. If, for example, Tarasenko was sent down (obviously not going to happen but for examples purposes), $7,500,000-$1,025,000=6,475,000 would still count against the NHL cap.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#buried

TL;DR: his entire cap hit can be buried because he's making less than $1,025,000 this year.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
wannabebluesplayer wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:Sounds like a one-way deal. Hopefully he gets buried in the minors. He filed for arbitration yesterday, so this avoids that.
If it's one-way, I don't see how he gets buried.
Players on one-way contracts can be sent down, all one-way means is that the player gets paid the same salary if they're in the AHL or NHL.

As far as being buried, for 2018-2019 the amount of money that counts agaisnt the NHL cap for a players in the minors is anything over $1,025,000. So if Sundqvist gets sent down, none of his salary will count against the NHL cap. If, for example, Tarasenko was sent down (obviously not going to happen but for examples purposes), $7,500,000-$1,025,000=6,475,000 would still count against the NHL cap.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#buried

TL;DR: his entire cap hit can be buried because he's making less than $1,025,000 this year.
Honestly, forgot about that. Thanks. Then yes, I think he could definitely be sent down. Would someone snatch him up, I honestly doubt it.

MattyIce wrote:The contract is fine but they just don't need him. Seems pointless but oh well...
Keep in mind they have an entire AHL roster to fill too. So if Sunny slides through waivers it's great. If they lose him, oh well. If he sticks on the Blues roster he will have beaten out some competition to do so. I think it's a win even though I doubt he will ever be more than a 4th liner.

blueslifer wrote:
MattyIce wrote:The contract is fine but they just don't need him. Seems pointless but oh well...
Keep in mind they have an entire AHL roster to fill too. So if Sunny slides through waivers it's great. If they lose him, oh well. If he sticks on the Blues roster he will have beaten out some competition to do so. I think it's a win even though I doubt he will ever be more than a 4th liner.
exactly. And IIRC, as long as he is sent down in the beginning of October, then he doesn't have to pass through waivers.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
blueslifer wrote:
exactly. And IIRC, as long as he is sent down in the beginning of October, then he doesn't have to pass through waivers.
He still does, but timing is everything. If you put him on waivers at the same time everyone else is doing so with their "spare parts" there is a much lesser chance of your player getting claimed because the claiming team then has to expose yet another player to waivers to make room for your guy. Losing him to waivers wouldn't be a big deal, which is exactly why you won't see this done with young/useful guys like Jaskin, Barbashev and Schmaltz.