Minor cap space / population problem

See here: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blues

We've got 7,48 mil left to spend. Jaskin Sundy Jed and Schmaltz all need new deals. Only Jed deserves a moderate raise, everybody else gets the required minimum. None of those players are waiver exempt. But if we sign all those players where's the room for Thomas Kyrou Reinke Walman???

I really want to see Thomas on the opening night roster.

Who gets sent through waivers? Not that I am worried any of those guys not named Jed would get picked.

Re: Minor cap space / population problem

Seems like Maroon is waiting something out so it sure seems that Army has something up his sleeve.
Thomas will be on the opening night roster...that's pretty much a given. The most interesting thing to me heading into camp is who's going to get that #6 spot...Schmaltz or Reinke.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:Seems like Maroon is waiting something out so it sure seems that Army has something up his sleeve.
Thomas will be on the opening night roster...that's pretty much a given. The most interesting thing to me heading into camp is who's going to get that #6 spot...Schmaltz or Reinke.
Yeah you would think that by now he would have made a decision, so it does seem like he is waiting on something, which would make you believe that it is the Blues making room for him. Gunnarson seems to me to be the easiest to move with a friendly contract. I get why people want Bouw or Steen moved, but with their NTC it is probably going to be too difficult to pull off.
KA-KAW!

If Maroon is coming here...I really think it has to be Steen moving out.

Right now, we have Schwartz, Fabbri, Steen setup to play LW. If Fabbri gets hurt, I think the plan would be to move Perron back to the left side and then Kyrou can come in and take Perron's spot on RW.

So, if we are trying to sign Maroon, its got to be a forward (probably a lefty) moving out, and Steen seems to be the best candidate for that. However, he has a full NTC so I don't see it as likely he gets moved. I also don't know who would be trying to acquire him.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:If Maroon is coming here...I really think it has to be Steen moving out.

Right now, we have Schwartz, Fabbri, Steen setup to play LW. If Fabbri gets hurt, I think the plan would be to move Perron back to the left side and then Kyrou can come in and take Perron's spot on RW.

So, if we are trying to sign Maroon, its got to be a forward (probably a lefty) moving out, and Steen seems to be the best candidate for that. However, he has a full NTC so I don't see it as likely he gets moved. I also don't know who would be trying to acquire him.
He's 1/2 the player he was, so it's an exageration, but the point remains.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:If Maroon is coming here...I really think it has to be Steen moving out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas had interest. Bringing in another productive vet would be a good move for them, and he might waive to go there to play with Stastny again.

Honestly if the team is totally healthy and the youngsters established I think Steen should be on the 4th line if he's still here.

Fabbri O'Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Perron Thomas Bozak
Steen Barbashev Soshnikov

Sanford/Sundqvist extras (Jaskin and Thorburn are waived)

That's the lineup I like best. I've been going over them in my head a lot lately. :D

BluesSK wrote:These things usually have a way of working themselves out with injuries and performance.

Berglund and Sobotka are gone. I'm still on cloud nine.
Yeah, it's a miracle. Lehtera, Berglund, Sobotka, along with (3) Number 1's, (1) Number 2 and Tage Thompson for Schenn and O'Reilly. Time to play the Beatles tune ------------ I get by with a little help from my friends...........

wannabebluesplayer wrote:I never thought about Vegas or if Steen would waive for it but with Stastny already there, I bet he would, especially if Vegas wants him. That would clear space for a potential Maroon deal but I think it should be to get Edmundson signed first. Steen to Vegas for what in return though?
He just might waive for Winnipeg too.

insideout wrote:Strange that Bouwmeester’s name never comes up in the dead weight conversations. Nothing doing there?
Bouwmeester missed significant time last year because of an injury which finally ended his season entirely and required surgery. at almost 35, even without a NTC, no-one is going to be dealing for him until they see how he's recovered. IF he gets moved at all (If he shows he's fully recovered AND the Blues feel they don't need him), I suspect it won't be until mid-season, when he might accept a trade to a contender in the Eastern conference, or to a city he might like to retire to.

RAFritchey wrote:
insideout wrote:Strange that Bouwmeester’s name never comes up in the dead weight conversations. Nothing doing there?
Bouwmeester missed significant time last year because of an injury which finally ended his season entirely and required surgery. at almost 35, even without a NTC, no-one is going to be dealing for him until they see how he's recovered. IF he gets moved at all (If he shows he's fully recovered AND the Blues feel they don't need him), I suspect it won't be until mid-season, when he might accept a trade to a contender in the Eastern conference, or to a city he might like to retire to.
EDM needs defense... just sayin'

MissouriMook wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:The most interesting thing to me heading into camp is who's going to get that #6 spot...Schmaltz or Reinke.
Unless Schmaltz shits the bed, it has to be him. Reinke is still waivers exempt. You don't risk losing Schmaltz to waivers unless Reinke plays circles around him.

Are you guys penciling in Bortuzzo as the No. 5? I would.

I mean you got Gunnarson, Bouwmeester, Schmaltz and Reinke.

I'm kind of dreaming that Bouwmeester gets healthy and then you'd have Bouwmeester and Bortuzzo as the 3rd pair. That might actually be sweet.

BillP wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:The most interesting thing to me heading into camp is who's going to get that #6 spot...Schmaltz or Reinke.
Unless Schmaltz shits the bed, it has to be him. Reinke is still waivers exempt. You don't risk losing Schmaltz to waivers unless Reinke plays circles around him.

I'm kind of dreaming that Bouwmeester gets healthy and then you'd have Bouwmeester and Bortuzzo as the 3rd pair. That might actually be sweet.
How the third pairing pans out is very interesting to me as well.

Doug Glatt wrote:
BillP wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:

Walman out of the picture?

insideout wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:
BillP wrote:

I don't think so.

I get the feeling the AHL would be best for his development at this stage, but I'd be all for him if he turns heads at camp. Schmaltz appears closer to NHL ready, imo.

Defence:

Edmundson / Pietrangelo
Dunn / Parayko
Bouwmeester / Bortuzzo or Schmaltz

Reinke, Mikkola, and Walman start in the minors. At least two of those will see NHL time this year.

Forwards:

Schwartz / Schenn / Perron
Fabbri / ROR / Tarasenko
Steen / Bozak / Thomas
Sanford / Barbashev / Nolan or Jaskin

Thomas gets his feet wet with the third line, and the second power play unit. I think Kyrou starts in the AHL, but makes it up to STL before Christmas.

If Fabbri can't go, then it accelerates Kyrou's bid:

Schwartz / Schenn / Kyrou
Perron / ROR / Tarasenko
Steen / Bozak / Thomas

If everything is working well, by Christmas, you probably see this:

Schwartz / Schenn / Fabbri
ROR / Thomas / Tarasenko
Steen / Bozak / Kryou

insideout wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:
BillP wrote:

Not out of the picture but there seems to a room issue for him right now on the left side. He can play the right side so maybe his battle is with Schmaltz and Reinke but something tells me the Blues really like Reinke alot right now. Unless Reinke comes in and has a bad camp, I think he's going to get that #6 spot.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"