Re: Minor cap space / population problem

insideout wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:
BillP wrote:

Are you guys penciling in Bortuzzo as the No. 5? I would.

I mean you got Gunnarson, Bouwmeester, Schmaltz and Reinke.

I'm kind of dreaming that Bouwmeester gets healthy and then you'd have Bouwmeester and Bortuzzo as the 3rd pair. That might actually be sweet.
How the third pairing pans out is very interesting to me as well.
Walman out of the picture?
I forgot about him. Blues are definitely loaded on defense. I really think Schmaltz deserves to start but the Blues need Bortuzzo's skillset bad.

I can't see the need for Schmaltz here since Parayko survived the trade game. He's not going anywhere now. I really feel Schmaltz can be a 2nd pairing guy IMO. It's a messed up deal with this kid. He's worth more than what the Blues can probably get for him via trade. I don't know how this is going to work out with him.

SpacemanSpiff wrote:Defence:

Edmundson / Pietrangelo
Dunn / Parayko
Bouwmeester / Bortuzzo or Schmaltz

Reinke, Mikkola, and Walman start in the minors. At least two of those will see NHL time this year.

Forwards:

Schwartz / Schenn / Perron
Fabbri / ROR / Tarasenko
Steen / Bozak / Thomas
Sanford / Barbashev / Nolan or Jaskin

Thomas gets his feet wet with the third line, and the second power play unit. I think Kyrou starts in the AHL, but makes it up to STL before Christmas.

If Fabbri can't go, then it accelerates Kyrou's bid:

Schwartz / Schenn / Kyrou
Perron / ROR / Tarasenko
Steen / Bozak / Thomas

If everything is working well, by Christmas, you probably see this:

Schwartz / Schenn / Fabbri
ROR / Thomas / Tarasenko
Steen / Bozak / Kryou
Don't forget about Gunnarson. Lots of options on D for now.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP wrote: I can't see the need for Schmaltz here since Parayko survived the trade game. He's not going anywhere now. I really feel Schmaltz can be a 2nd pairing guy IMO. It's a messed up deal with this kid. He's worth more than what the Blues can probably get for him via trade. I don't know how this is going to work out with him.
What have you seen from Schmaltz that makes you think this? He's 24 years old and still hasn't been able to crack an NHL lineup. I haven't seen anything from him in the times he's played that makes me have any sort of confidence in him like this.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Looking at the defense, the Seattle draft is going to be INTERESTING for the Blues.

How do you just protect 3 of Petro, Eddy, Parayko, and Dunn?

Cross that bridge then, I guess.
You do the army special, give up a 1st rounder to fix your mistakes :) and have them stay away from your top players and pray to the hockey gods you don't give them the 2020 version of Bill Karlsson.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Looking at the defense, the Seattle draft is going to be INTERESTING for the Blues.

If memory serves me correctly, your UFAs would be ED exempt. Petro’s and Schenn’s current deals expire at the end of 19/20. As long as Army has their assurances that they’ll resign following the ED he can “leave them off” the protected roster until the UFA period begins. I can’t remember which GMs took advantage of that loophole last time but someone did.
"suck a dick Stan Lee"

Doug Glatt wrote:

Easy. Seattle selects David Perron.
:lol: :lol: It all makes sense why he was re-signed now!! If there's one thing DA loves more than signing David Perron, it's getting rid of David Perron.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:

:lol: :lol: It all makes sense why he was re-signed now!! If there's one thing DA loves more than signing David Perron, it's getting rid of David Perron.
How many players would be able to say that they were drafted and played for three different NHL teams?

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
BillP wrote: I can't see the need for Schmaltz here since Parayko survived the trade game. He's not going anywhere now. I really feel Schmaltz can be a 2nd pairing guy IMO. It's a messed up deal with this kid. He's worth more than what the Blues can probably get for him via trade. I don't know how this is going to work out with him.
What have you seen from Schmaltz that makes you think this? He's 24 years old and still hasn't been able to crack an NHL lineup. I haven't seen anything from him in the times he's played that makes me have any sort of confidence in him like this.
Great skater, can move the puck quickly. High offensive IQ. I've seen a lot from him. He hasn't broken in because of the Blues depth on D. It's not his fault. Same thing in Toronto the past few years with Kapanen who finally got some ice time last year with Leafs. It's a tough situation because I know Army doesn't want to give him away. Bad deal for the kid. Once Bouwmeester and Gunnarson are gone, he'll get his chance, but I don't think DA is in any hurry to move those guys given all the injuries the Blues had on D last year, including Schmaltz himself.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:
How many players would be able to say that they were drafted and played for three different NHL teams?
Which is funny because if memory serves me correct, David Perron was passed over in his original draft year. Now people can't stop drafting him at every opportunity.
Just a Russian propaganda account

MissouriMook wrote:
wannabebluesplayer wrote:I never thought about Vegas or if Steen would waive for it but with Stastny already there, I bet he would, especially if Vegas wants him. That would clear space for a potential Maroon deal but I think it should be to get Edmundson signed first. Steen to Vegas for what in return though?
100% futures
Getting back into the 1st round in next year's draft would be nice, not that I would expect Vegas to value Steen that highly. But hey, they do have a stockpile of picks if I remember right.

BillP wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Great skater, can move the puck quickly. High offensive IQ. I've seen a lot from him. He hasn't broken in because of the Blues depth on D. It's not his fault. Same thing in Toronto the past few years with Kapanen who finally got some ice time last year with Leafs. It's a tough situation because I know Army doesn't want to give him away. Bad deal for the kid. Once Bouwmeester and Gunnarson are gone, he'll get his chance, but I don't think DA is in any hurry to move those guys given all the injuries the Blues had on D last year, including Schmaltz himself.
He stalled in his development. Even with the Blues depth on the right side, not once has he been able to come in and seal the deal when he's had the chance. Now all the sudden, he's got some real competition in Reinke who's almost 3 years younger, not to mention Walman who can play the right side if needed and with our left side pretty much a lock for now, Walman might get a look on the right side. Schmaltz better come in and have the camp of his life, otherwise he might just be on life support when it comes to actually playing for this franchise.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:
BillP wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
He stalled in his development. Even with the Blues depth on the right side, not once has he been able to come in and seal the deal when he's had the chance. Now all the sudden, he's got some real competition in Reinke who's almost 3 years younger, not to mention Walman who can play the right side if needed and with our left side pretty much a lock for now, Walman might get a look on the right side. Schmaltz better come in and have the camp of his life, otherwise he might just be on life support when it comes to actually playing for this franchise.

There was a time last year where he came in and looked great but he was put back on the shelf. I do think the Blues needing Bortuzzo's toughness played a major factor. It's a tough deal IMO because I don't think his future is here and if the Blues try to deal him, I think they'll get the short end of the stick in the trade. He's going to get his chance somewhere and when he does I think he'll be a good one.

But you're right, he's going to have to come in and have the camp of his life.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
wannabebluesplayer wrote:I never thought about Vegas or if Steen would waive for it but with Stastny already there, I bet he would, especially if Vegas wants him. That would clear space for a potential Maroon deal but I think it should be to get Edmundson signed first. Steen to Vegas for what in return though?
He just might waive for Winnipeg too.
I don't see a need for wingers in Winnipeg. They need a center. I could see him waiving for Winnipeg but I don't think Winnipeg would want an aging Steen.

blueslifer wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:
100% futures
Getting back into the 1st round in next year's draft would be nice, not that I would expect Vegas to value Steen that highly. But hey, they do have a stockpile of picks if I remember right.
If Vegas wants a good veteran to play with his best friend, then I could see them maybe making a move for Steen. I think Steen would waive and after losing Perron and Neal, maybe Vegas does make that move. I wonder if Army doesn't want to move Steen though. I worry Steen's still viewed as a leader here. Personally, I'd like to see him gone because I want the leadership fully turned over to 27, 91, 17, 10, 90, etc. Steen is the last bastion of the "old core" and I guarantee still is still a big voice in the room. I know many here don't like Petro as captain, but I think some of it is the leadership around him, and Steen's a part of that.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:
Sorry David, but this has to happen.

Perron was passed over in his first draft. He was also passed over for major junior hockey, at first. His hockey history is pretty amazing.

I've always liked the guy. Not his skating in circles and offensive zone penalties, but I have always pulled for him wherever he goes.

wannabebluesplayer wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
He just might waive for Winnipeg too.
I don't see a need for wingers in Winnipeg. They need a center. I could see him waiving for Winnipeg but I don't think Winnipeg would want an aging Steen.
Yeah, I think that boat sailed a couple of seasons ago.

BluesSK wrote:
wannabebluesplayer wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: He just might waive for Winnipeg too.
Yeah, I think that boat sailed a couple of seasons ago.
Sell Vegas on a Steen/Stastny reunion. DO IT ARMY.

PS. I don't hate Steen. I just think it would be fun to see Kyrou and Thomas in the lineup and move Perron back to LW. You're also putting a LOT of hope on Fabbri returning to form and two rookies.