Re: Confirmed: Blues Trade for ROR

BluesSK wrote:I can't believe our two biggest headaches are gone in one trade.
This reminds me so much of the Schenn trade last year dumping Lehtera. Yeah it sucks to lose the picks, but to not have to just give away bad contracts but to use them to acquire top 6 centers. Wow.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The DA that signs players to contracts leaves a lot to be desired. The DA that makes trades is good at what he does.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:IF the Blues can sign Maroon now, I'll be pretty stoked.

Sobotka and Berglund cancel out ROR's salary so hopefully they have some room for him.
Cap Friendly shows 8.4M cap space after the dust settled
That's without Eddie, Fabbri and Jaskin having RFA deals. I'd imagine we'd only have $3-$4 left after those deals and the few other nominal RFAs (Sundqvist/Schmaltz)?

RAFritchey wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
crow.jpg
You're apparently not the only one feasting on a bit of crow tonight:

I'm not feasting at all, I'm serving it up. I haven't said one negative thing throughout this process.. because it's July 1st not October 1st. The Armstrong hatred has flowing like a river all day on here. Time for the whiners to eat some crow.

ccfan22 wrote:Not to toot my own horn (but totally tooting my own horn), but I had this pegged about 8 hours ago right after news broke we signed Bozak. That move didn't make sense in a vacuum - DA played this one pretty well, have to give him credit (as well as Stillman for bucking up to keep Kyrou/Kostin/Thomas out of this trade by paying the bonus this year).
Untitled.png
Master poker player. Signs Bozak early in the day to make other teams think the Blues are out on O'Reilly. Other teams tighten up their offers to BUF and Armstrong comes in over the top to pull off the trade.

Impressive.

Re: Off-Season Signing & Trades Thread

bradleygt89 wrote:Always hard to convey on a message board so again, no disrespect to anyone here with a different opinion. Not to be repetitive, and Rat kind of summed up my thoughts:

I'd rather we added Bozak and DP and kept the kids, as we did, than deal for ROR. Put ROR in that lineup i posted earlier and subtract Bozak, DP and Thomas, and we're even weaker imho. DA has to shed some salary and third line players for sure, and im hoping it happens sooner than later.
Well he basically just took your 2nd paragraph and played it out perfectly lol

Wow, I picked the wrong time to do the dishes! I saw a tweet from JR talking about "the package the Blues gave up for ROR" and thought it was typo implying it wasn't enough and someone else got him. When was the last time this team was legitimately deep down the middle? Woooo!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Beatoni12 wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:Always hard to convey on a message board so again, no disrespect to anyone here with a different opinion. Not to be repetitive, and Rat kind of summed up my thoughts:

I'd rather we added Bozak and DP and kept the kids, as we did, than deal for ROR. Put ROR in that lineup i posted earlier and subtract Bozak, DP and Thomas, and we're even weaker imho. DA has to shed some salary and third line players for sure, and im hoping it happens sooner than later.
Yeah, totally unexpected was this trade for me. I thought he might dump their salaries for draft picks, but to also get ROR AND only lose Thompson, I'm good with :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BluesSK wrote:I can't believe our two biggest headaches are gone in one trade.
This reminds me so much of the Schenn trade last year dumping Lehtera. Yeah it sucks to lose the picks, but to not have to just give away bad contracts but to use them to acquire top 6 centers. Wow.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The DA that signs players to contracts leaves a lot to be desired. The DA that makes trades is good at what he does.
I agree with a lot of your opinions Wes, but this is easily your best. Doug (first name only because he's my best friend now) rarely loses trades, and wins big many times.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Beatoni12 wrote:

Confirmed: Bradley is DA's burner account.

BluesSK wrote:
ccfan22 wrote:Not to toot my own horn (but totally tooting my own horn), but I had this pegged about 8 hours ago right after news broke we signed Bozak. That move didn't make sense in a vacuum - DA played this one pretty well, have to give him credit (as well as Stillman for bucking up to keep Kyrou/Kostin/Thomas out of this trade by paying the bonus this year).
Untitled.png
Master poker player. Signs Bozak early in the day to make other teams think the Blues are out on O'Reilly. Other teams tighten up their offers to BUF and Armstrong comes in over the top to pull off the trade.

Impressive.
Yah, not that that's the only reason you sign Bozak, but that had to be a decent enough factor - a pretty big coup right here - to get arguably the 2nd best C available in UFA (with Stastny), and then get the best C available on the trade market. It just seemed like the Bozak deal didn't make sense in a vacuum - especially with how many forwards we had - didn't think DA would be able to get rid of Bergy AND Sobi, but figured a Thompson/Foley, Bergy/Sobi, 1st and 2nd could be a real possibility (in my dreams).

UMSLBlues12 wrote:This trade has the most bizarre comments on Twitter from Sabres fans. They think they fleeced us. Have they not watch Berglund and Sobotka play ever? One guy even said something like "Berglund and ROR are basically the same player" lol wut

Flyers fans thought the same, I remember some of them called Lehtera a top 6 forward. :lol:

Fact: Fans mostly just watch their own teams and don't know much about other players. Especially if they aren't big name players. They probably think Sobotka is tough and feisty and balls to the wall.