Re: Confirmed: Blues Trade for ROR

BluesSK wrote:Love the oh so knowledgeable and smug Buffalo fans on twitter thinking the Blues got fleeced.
In all honesty, we did pay a heavy price. But the Blues are 'rich enough' to afford that cost. We can always move another asset to get a first round pick if desired too, and be fine. Neither side got fleeced, but both teams got what they wanted and needed.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
BluesSK wrote:Love the oh so knowledgeable and smug Buffalo fans on twitter thinking the Blues got fleeced.
In all honesty, we did pay a heavy price. But the Blues are 'rich enough' to afford that cost. We can always move another asset to get a first round pick if desired too, and be fine. Neither side got fleeced, but both teams got what they wanted and needed.
The picks are valuable, no doubt, and Thompson has a potentially very bright future, but he was probably the Blues 4th or 5th best forward prospect depending on how you rank him relative to Kostin and Bokk. It would have been foolish to hang onto all of the kids, and Thompson made a lot of sense to be the first out the door. I'm sure Tage will be motivated to stick it to the Blues for letting him go, and frankly, that's the right idea on his part. I think Berglund still has some value depending on his role, but he's a replacement level NHL forward these days. Good guy, seemingly good in the room, but on the ice he's just a decent 3rd line winger. Sobotka is a paycheck player, so he'll probably have a good year in 19-20 playing for his next deal.

The deal suits Buffalo's needs, but it's not one that is going to hurt the Blues long term at all. The cupboards are still fairly full, and now there's a top 6 center with 5 years left on his deal at a reasonable cap hit in the fray. Might be a win-win deal, but definitely a win for the Blues.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

The work Doug and Bill have done at the draft has really made these things possible. Getting that second first for Reaves and getting Kostin there in 2017 draft was huge, and surely made it a lot easier to swallow trading Thompson when you know you have 3 very good forward prospects outside of him. Getting back into the first round (and picking up another decent forward prospect in Foley) by trading an expiring contract at the deadline was also big.

Its fair to criticize the front office for some things, but there work in the draft and with trades has been great. Not much more you can ask for in those two departments, IMO.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:This is kind of a sidebar, but did Berglund have an incident involving sending some innapropriate pictures to girls around town? First two replies to a tweet from Korac about Bergie being a good guy:

https://twitter.com/FabbrisHair/status/ ... 1568563200

https://twitter.com/THEmrMATTERS/status ... 0840088578
The best parties in town were at Bergy and Oshies condo in the CWE circa 2009-10. They had a good time no doubt...those two were plastered all over social media back in the day.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

T.C. wrote:uh...
Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 12.11.47 PM.png
Welp, Tage is gonna be fired up in Buffalo! Might even win a puck battle or two.

But seriously, I think him being pissed is the right motivational play for him personally. Just get over the "don't tolerate mistakes" thing, and he'll have a nice career.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:The work Doug and Bill have done at the draft has really made these things possible. Getting that second first for Reaves and getting Kostin there in 2017 draft was huge, and surely made it a lot easier to swallow trading Thompson when you know you have 3 very good forward prospects outside of him. Getting back into the first round (and picking up another decent forward prospect in Foley) by trading an expiring contract at the deadline was also big.

Its fair to criticize the front office for some things, but there work in the draft and with trades has been great. Not much more you can ask for in those two departments, IMO.
2 trades that erased 3 mistakes ----- Lehtera, Sobotka and Berglund. Risky way to do business but he pulled it off. This roster is shaping up and looking damn good now.

Mike Harrington (@ByMHarrington) tweeted at 0:04 PM on Mon, Jul 02, 2018:
Conference call with Tage Thompson...He says he's happy to get an NHL chance and not be "pigeon-holed" like he was in St. Louis, a veteran team that couldn't tolerate mistakes. Of #Sabres:  "They really have big plans for me here to play a lot and put up points"

WTF?
Don't you need to earn your place as a rookie anymore?

usmcaaron wrote:Mike Harrington (@ByMHarrington) tweeted at 0:04 PM on Mon, Jul 02, 2018:
Conference call with Tage Thompson...He says he's happy to get an NHL chance and not be "pigeon-holed" like he was in St. Louis, a veteran team that couldn't tolerate mistakes. Of #Sabres:  "They really have big plans for me here to play a lot and put up points"

WTF?
Don't you need to earn your place as a rookie anymore?
He earned his place alright. Middle six on last season's last place team. :lol:

That's more intensity than Tage showed the entire year last year. Also, if the Blues couldn't tolerate mistakes, they would have sent him down. They kept him up with the big club to let him work on getting up to speed in the NHL. Yes, they had him in the press box a few times, but his game never seemed to progress and that's on him.
KA-KAW!

I didn't care for the way they handled Thompson at all last year but I also realize he was given opportunities and didn't take advantage of them. Hope things work out for him in Buffalo but I hated that pick at the time....always thought it was a wasted pick.
Hopefully the coaching staff learned a lesson and won't make the same mistake with Thomas and Kyrou this season.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Not related to Tage Thompson sass, but I like this quote from Pierre Lebrun in his new article on The Athletic:
From the Blues’ perspective, there’s a handful of GMs in this league that are unafraid to make bold move after bold move: I’d put Armstrong in that group along with Doug Wilson (Sharks), David Poile (Predators), Bob Murray (Ducks) and Steve Yzerman (Lightning). It doesn’t mean their trades always work, but their level of comfort in rolling the dice on roster-shaking moves has set them apart over the past several years.
For all the Army haters out there (less around here, more in The Asylum), this is exactly what I think you want from your team's GM. This quote puts him up there w/ some of the best in the league, because he's not afraid to go big to improve his team. Of course he's not w/out faults, but coupled with a solid scouting staff, there's not much else you can ask for, & just further signifies that he is the right man to lead the Blues, IMO.

usmcaaron wrote:Not related to Tage Thompson sass, but I like this quote from Pierre Lebrun in his new article on The Athletic:
From the Blues’ perspective, there’s a handful of GMs in this league that are unafraid to make bold move after bold move: I’d put Armstrong in that group along with Doug Wilson (Sharks), David Poile (Predators), Bob Murray (Ducks) and Steve Yzerman (Lightning). It doesn’t mean their trades always work, but their level of comfort in rolling the dice on roster-shaking moves has set them apart over the past several years.
For all the Army haters out there (less around here, more in The Asylum), this is exactly what I think you want from your team's GM. This quote puts him up there w/ some of the best in the league, because he's not afraid to go big to improve his team. Of course he's not w/out faults, but coupled with a solid scouting staff, there's not much else you can ask for, & just further signifies that he is the right man to lead the Blues, IMO.
I don’t think there is any doubt that Army has shown he will make huge moves. My biggest issue is that he hold onto guys too long....too much loyalty.
I hope he’s got one surprise move lined up.

"Suck a dick Johansen"