Re: NHL Draft Weekend

BluesSK wrote:
39hurricane wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Goalie Joel Hofer
6.03 goalie who had a 41 save shutout as a back up. In line to start this year for Swift Current.

I do like how the Blues select goalies to keep the pipeline well stocked at the position. Goalies are so weird and hit or miss, might as well have several in the org.
I hope 6.03 is his height and not his GAA.

Ha, that was the first thing I thought when I saw that, I thought it was his GAA, then I figured it out :)

BillP wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
RAFritchey wrote:
I'm always skeptical of over-aged prospects, whether they're 'late bloomers' or just a year ahead of their competition in physical development and experience. Also, it sounds like Pronman and The Hockey Writers are contradicting each other, especially about his skating and his shot. But for a mid-2nd-round pick, he could be worth the risk.
One of the best skaters in this draft...no doubt in my mind.
Just now catching up on what happened today. Man, this Perunovich guy is tiny. But the people who've watched him and played against him since he was a kid, the reports are glowing in terms of his offensive ability/command. I'm torn on this pick. Size for a defenseman is still very important IMO. The only way to circumvent that to become a Top 4 defender is that the kid as to be lights out fantastic. If he is, then cool, we got an All Star here, if not then this was a reach. Drafting a depth guy to fill a 5/6/7 role on defense is not what I had in mind for a 2nd rounder. Here's the article I was just viewing on him.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2018/6 ... defenseman
He's gonna play at 5"10 or so...he's not a giant but look at how productive a guy like Krug is in Boston. Perunovich is all skill and smarts and he can play the right side and play it well. The Blues must have really liked him and much like the Morgan Reinke addition this is without a doubt a Tkachuk recommendation to Bill Armstrong. I'm really liking what Big Walt is doing for us.
As for Tyler Tucker...so happy about that pick. I hope they let him develop and give him a real chance in a couple of years because he's a bit of a throwback...lots of grit, lots of mean...i love it!
As for the rest of the weekend....what a freaking let down. Got a feeling we are going to lose a very good prospect in whatever trade Army has lined up.
Last edited by NHLTIM on Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:
BillP wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
One of the best skaters in this draft...no doubt in my mind.
Just now catching up on what happened today. Man, this Perunovich guy is tiny. But the people who've watched him and played against him since he was a kid, the reports are glowing in terms of his offensive ability/command. I'm torn on this pick. Size for a defenseman is still very important IMO. The only way to circumvent that to become a Top 4 defender is that the kid as to be lights out fantastic. If he is, then cool, we got an All Star here, if not then this was a reach. Drafting a depth guy to fill a 5/6/7 role on defense is not what I had in mind for a 2nd rounder. Here's the article I was just viewing on him.

He's gonna play at 5"10 or so...he's not a giant but look at how productive a guy like Krug is in Boston. Perunovich is all skill and smarts and he can play the right side and play it well. The Blues must have really liked him and much like the Morgan Reinke addition this is without a doubt a Tkachuk recommendation to Bill Armstrong. I'm really liking what Big Walt is doing for us.
As for Tyler Tucker...so happy about that pick. I hope they let him develop and give him a real chance in a couple of years because he's a bit of a throwback...lots of grit, lots of mean...i love it!
As for the rest of the weekend....what a freaking let down. Got a feeling we are going to lost a very good prospect in whatever trade Army has lined up.
Yeah, I would put Krug in the fantastic category. Maybe this kid will be that good. He'll have to be to validate this pick...........I'm with you, big letdown and yeah, what is Army going to do with the surplus of prospects and all the "garage sale" players we still have?

BillP wrote:
MattyIce wrote:Question: How disappointed will you be if at the end of today, the only Blues news is the signing of Soshnikov followed by the Blues actually drafting a player with the WPG 1st?
About as disappointed when I found out Army got 4 years on his extension :D
Bump just for BillyP. I’m glad Army didn’t overpay for someone, but I am now fully prepared for either a Stastny signing or a “youth movement” speech at the next press conference. I had a feeling this weekend would be a disappointment.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote:
BillP wrote:
MattyIce wrote:Question: How disappointed will you be if at the end of today, the only Blues news is the signing of Soshnikov followed by the Blues actually drafting a player with the WPG 1st?
About as disappointed when I found out Army got 4 years on his extension :D
Bump just for BillyP. I’m glad Army didn’t overpay for someone, but I am now fully prepared for either a Stastny signing or a “youth movement” speech at the next press conference. I had a feeling this weekend would be a disappointment.
I do like having the kids in the pipeline and maybe going with kids isn't a bad idea. You got a top line, you got a great defense. If the Blues hold onto their kids and stay that route yearly now, they'll be set up to compete for a playoff berth for a very long time. Only trouble is you waste away Tarasenko's contract term. But maybe just being good and not great is all they want. We'll see what DA does.

Ok, I took a nap and a shower and washed off most of last night's bed decisions. Reading about Scott Perunovich more I'm going to give him credit. All the writing about him at UMD is that he was instrumental in the National Championship. That sounds great. I won't bag on his size.

Look for him to play 2 more years of NCAA, then 2 years of AHL.

Ryan Ellis is listed at 5.10 and he's pretty damn good.

BillP wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
BillP wrote:

As for the rest of the weekend....what a freaking let down. Got a feeling we are going to lost a very good prospect in whatever trade Army has lined up.
Yeah, I would put Krug in the fantastic category. Maybe this kid will be that good. He'll have to be to validate this pick...........I'm with you, big letdown and yeah, what is Army going to do with the surplus of prospects and all the "garage sale" players we still have?
Looking back at drafts from 4, 5, 6, 7 years ago, second round picks have about a 50/50 chance of ever even playing more than half a season in the NHL. I'm perfectly fine with trying for a home run with a mid-2nd.

Just watched the video with Bill Armstrong recapping the draft. He mentions Tkachuk and Jay Niemiec bringing up Perunovich all the time. He told them, "he's already been passed over twice". Tkachuk tells him you have to get out and see this kid. Bill Army says they went and watched him a couple of times and the more they saw him, the more they fell in love with him. They wanted him so bad that they chased him...but a bit but later in the interview he does say that Perunovich was the one player they wanted to leave with during today's portion of the draft. That is great stuff.
Watch Army's eyes light up when Strickland gets to Tucker!!! That's focking awesome!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote:Just watched the video with Bill Armstrong recapping the draft. He mentions Tkachuk and Jay Niemiec bringing up Perunovich all the time. He told them, "he's already been passed over twice". Tkachuk tells him you have to get out and see this kid. Bill Army says they went and watched him a couple of times and the more they saw him, the more they fell in love with him. They wanted him so bad that they chased him...but a bit but later in the interview he does say that Perunovich was the one player they wanted to leave with during today's portion of the draft. That is great stuff.
Watch Army's eyes light up when Strickland gets to Tucker!!! That's focking awesome!

I feel better about the draft - thanks. I'm sold. It's great Tkachuk is working for us. I'm starting to believe Perunovich is the real deal. If he's got the skill and speed they claim then I'm in. You just don't lead and dominate competition like he has, especially on D, obviously the computer chip in his head is special.

Drubilly wrote:As soon as I saw BA’s face beam I immediately thought of your post earlier. “Oh! Tim wasn’t being snarky, he’s genuinely excited about Tucker.” Ha
Tucker sounds like a bigger version of Jax. I don't think you could make a better effort in the 7th round.

Drubilly wrote:As soon as I saw BA’s face beam I immediately thought of your post earlier. “Oh! Tim wasn’t being snarky, he’s genuinely excited about Tucker.” Ha
yep...I spend a lot of my free time just watching hockey during the winter months....that's what I love to do so I do see a lot of these kids play. I put a list together every year...been doing it for sometime. It's definitely a hobby of mine and I love being able to put this stuff out there for you guys to read. I know i've got a few people that like the updates that I provide, or like to read reports on players that I might give.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote:
yep...I spend a lot of my free time just watching hockey during the winter months....that's what I love to do so I do see a lot of these kids play. I put a list together every year...been doing it for sometime. It's definitely a hobby of mine and I love being able to put this stuff out there for you guys to read. I know i've got a few people that like the updates that I provide, or like to read reports on players that I might give.
and while I know you don't ask for it, thank you for all your input. Makes me feel as if we have a bit of Bob and Pierre right here on our little forum :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

NHLTIM wrote:
Go get ur job with the Blues as a scout!

Then we can all have the inside scoop 8-)

39hurricane wrote:UMD's coach had Perunovich out there with 40 seconds left, the ND net empty, and the national championship on the line.

Scott makes a nice chip off the glass, then ices it for some last second drama.
Ha, I watched the first period earlier this evening. Was planning to watch more. I love listening to Melrose doing the game. That guy Wade for ND was hitting everything in that game. I plan on watching the rest, but from what I've seen so far, Perunovich isn't afraid to take control of the puck. And I have to say, college hockey is pretty entertaining to watch.

bradleygt89 wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
and while I know you don't ask for it, thank you for all your input. Makes me feel as if we have a bit of Bob and Pierre right here on our little forum :)
haha...thanks Brad!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

BillP wrote:How in the world did Zadina fall to 6th? This guy is going to score goals and a lot of them. Canadiens, Sens and Arizona blew it IMO. Give me the guy who's going to fill the net.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/fil ... ment-camp/
Montreal and Arizona reaching is the main reason he fell but I agree I would have taken him over Tkachuk. Arizona wanted Tkachuk and once he was gone they decided to just make the play for Hayton.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

insideout wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Blues Mic'd up at the draft. Cool video, some pre-draft stuff and Bill Armstrong telling DA they've gotta make a move for Bokk.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/video/micd-up ... c-60711903
Good stuff. Bill Armstrong impresses me, and I wonder whether he'd make a good GM. I like his demeanor.
He's excellent at evaluating and trusting his scouts evaluations of young talent so far. I'd want to see how he is evaluating pro talent, which recently hasn't been a strong suit of this front office. I believe Bill has no say so over pro scouts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm thinking Broduer is probably the next GM if he's still around.

wannabebluesplayer wrote:
insideout wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Blues Mic'd up at the draft. Cool video, some pre-draft stuff and Bill Armstrong telling DA they've gotta make a move for Bokk.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/video/micd-up ... c-60711903
Good stuff. Bill Armstrong impresses me, and I wonder whether he'd make a good GM. I like his demeanor.
He's excellent at evaluating and trusting his scouts evaluations of young talent so far. I'd want to see how he is evaluating pro talent, which recently hasn't been a strong suit of this front office. I believe Bill has no say so over pro scouts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm thinking Broduer is probably the next GM if he's still around.
I'm not sure how it's done, but I'd like to see a GM who knows how to make deals, even if he has to lean on others for scouting (whether it be at the pro or amateur level). In that sense, my biggest concern with making BA the GM would not be the inability to evaluate pro talent, but what you'd lose by taking him away from the role of amateur scout. I don't know if he's GM material, but he seems like a convincing and persuasive person who would be good face-to-face. I just get a good vibe from him.