Re: Off-Season Signing & Trades Thread

As I sit here drinking my morning coffee and thinking hockey, I was thinking that I can't recall a time when the Blues as an organization has been so balanced. Between the stud prospects and the big clubs on ice talent.

But, my biggest concern going into next year, even more so than Allen is if Mike Yeo is the coach to get the most out of this team and take them to the parade. I'm skeptical. What say ye? What's your confidence level in Yeo?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:As I sit here drinking my morning coffee and thinking hockey, I was thinking that I can't recall a time when the Blues as an organization has been so balanced. Between the stud prospects and the big clubs on ice talent.

But, my biggest concern going into next year, even more so than Allen is if Mike Yeo is the coach to get the most out of this team and take them to the parade. I'm skeptical. What say ye? What's your confidence level in Yeo?
Great question. I am constantly having to scale back my enthusiasm for the upcoming season (is it October yet??). I'm hoping that with this current lineup, scoring shouldn't be an issue. And that helps Jake. He doesn't have to go in with the mindset that if I give up 2 or more goals, we could be screwed. He can just play his game.

With that being said, Yeo coached teams have had bad power plays. Last year was bad. His Minnesota teams were bad. Yeo just may be the biggest question mark this team has. Please let him use Craig Berube and his assistant coaches. I can only hope that he can do for the Blues what Coach Q did for the Hawks; learn from his first job and take it to the next level now.

And with that being said, I think this deserves it's own thread. IMHO, is shouldn't be in this thread. Too many people may miss it being here. Not being critical Dead, just thinking such a great topic can stand on it's own.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:As I sit here drinking my morning coffee and thinking hockey, I was thinking that I can't recall a time when the Blues as an organization has been so balanced. Between the stud prospects and the big clubs on ice talent.

Allen is still the biggest concern for me. I completely understand the Yeo take, but the end of 2017 and start of last season should count for something too. The PP issue is a concern, but I'm not 100% sure that's not a product of Yeo not ever having the right assistant. Yeo would still be my second biggest area of concern, but a very distant second. I don't think Yeo is any worse of a coach than Dan Bylsma, and he's got a ring on his finger. Obviously Yeo doesn't have Crosby/Malkin, but my point is that with enough talent, sometimes the coach just has to stay out of the way. To me, Yeo is fine. If Jake stops pucks all year, Yeo will look great.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

usmcaaron wrote:Blake Wheeler extended w/ WPG.

5yr. $41.25 mil ($8.25/yr)
He has been one of the Jets' top-two scorers every year since they moved there from Atlanta, and put up over 90 points last season, and 21 points in 17 playoff games. 5 years may seem a bit long for a guy who's already 32, but IIRC he hasn't had much of a problem with injuries (It looks like he's missed 7 total games over the last 7 season). Even if his production drops a bit back into the 70-80 point range, he's probably still worth that.

usmcaaron wrote:Blake Wheeler extended w/ WPG.

5yr. $41.25 mil ($8.25/yr)
Love Wheeler....Gretzky was correct when he picked him, it just took him awhile to develop. He's up there for prettiest goals ever scored at Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade/Enterprise arena too.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

I think Yeo has the fire in him. I like him. I don't think there's any coach out there that you can't find some kind of fault with. I hope Yeo hits the jackpot and brings the Cup here. I don't think anyone on this board is as confident about this season as I am but I think the Blues are going to be outstanding this year. Things can change when the season unfolds (injuries, trade deadline, etc.) but right now the Blues are top 2 in the Conference IMO.

Wait...is Vegas going to be good again? They add Pacioretty and Stastny, lose Perron and Neal. They're better on paper this year, but will they be the puck luck champions again? I assume the Pacioretty deal makes them less likely to go after Karlsson, but we'll see. Good for them for taking another hard run at it in year 2.

As for the Habs, Bergavin actually did pretty well. They need centers desperately, and Suzuki should help there long term.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I'm undecided on Yeo. I was not thrilled with his hiring, but everyone deserves a chance. Nothing I've seen yet, makes me think he's anymore than an average coach. That said, players can make an average coach look great, and a very good coach look average. See Quenneville in Chicago. Joel always was a solid coach, but it took being given the great talent base in Chicago, for him to win Cups.

barnburner wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 am I'm undecided on Yeo. I was not thrilled with his hiring, but everyone deserves a chance. Nothing I've seen yet, makes me think he's anymore than an average coach. That said, players can make an average coach look great, and a very good coach look average. See Quenneville in Chicago. Joel always was a solid coach, but it took being given the great talent base in Chicago, for him to win Cups.
Joel did work miracles when he took over for Keenan. Team was a mess that year. The Blues were like 7 minutes away from winning the opening 2 games against the Red Wings in Rd 1 and then I believe it was Shawn Burr who scored on a wrister from his off wing that tied up the game 1-1 and the Blues went on to lose the series in 6. That was when Bowman had the brilliant idea to start the series with Fedorov on defense. Bowman trashed that idea after the first 2 games and then Detroit went on to win the Cup that year.

barnburner wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 am I'm undecided on Yeo. I was not thrilled with his hiring, but everyone deserves a chance. Nothing I've seen yet, makes me think he's anymore than an average coach. That said, players can make an average coach look great, and a very good coach look average. See Quenneville in Chicago. Joel always was a solid coach, but it took being given the great talent base in Chicago, for him to win Cups.
Armstrong better be prepared to pull the trigger quickly on a new coach if Yeo doesn't get the power play to click and it affects our position in the standings.

He will never have a better team to coach.

Good deal for both teams...Suzuki was a guy that I would have liked to see the Blues trade up for in 2017 and he definitely fills a need for the Habs. Vegas gets exactly what they want in Patches, hopefully they can get him signed long term. Always love deals where both teams benefit.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:38 am Good deal for both teams...Suzuki was a guy that I would have liked to see the Blues trade up for in 2017 and he definitely fills a need for the Habs. Vegas gets exactly what they want in Patches, hopefully they can get him signed long term. Always love deals where both teams benefit.
I prefer deals where one team wins, and Chicago and/or Detroit loses.

BillP. wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:29 am
Joel did work miracles when he took over for Keenan. Team was a mess that year. The Blues were like 7 minutes away from winning the opening 2 games against the Red Wings in Rd 1 and then I believe it was Shawn Burr who scored on a wrister from his off wing that tied up the game 1-1 and the Blues went on to lose the series in 6. That was when Bowman had the brilliant idea to start the series with Fedorov on defense. Bowman trashed that idea after the first 2 games and then Detroit went on to win the Cup that year.
Being 3 days older than moses, my memory is shaky, but to me it's debateable whether Q worked miracles, or, if as we've seen with many teams after a coaching change, the players were so thrilled to have an end to the Keenan/Hull soap opera, that they played over their heads. Thr funny thimg about Q, was that many of the complaints leveled against Hitch, were the same as the ones thrown at Q in his time here. (Too defensive, preferred grinders to scorers, preferred veterans over rookies, etc). I liked Q,and thimk he's a good coach. But I think half the nhl coaches could have wom those Cups with Chicago.

barnburner wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:57 pm
Being 3 days older than moses, my memory is shaky, but to me it's debateable whether Q worked miracles, or, if as we've seen with many teams after a coaching change, the players were so thrilled to have an end to the Keenan/Hull soap opera, that they played over their heads. Thr funny thimg about Q, was that many of the complaints leveled against Hitch, were the same as the ones thrown at Q in his time here. (Too defensive, preferred grinders to scorers, preferred veterans over rookies, etc). I liked Q,and thimk he's a good coach. But I think half the nhl coaches could have wom those Cups with Chicago.
I may be WAY off on this, but I thought Quenneville was credited with 'breaking' the trap that had dominated the NHL since New Jersey re-invented it in their cup-competing years, with his concept of 'puck support,' which, as I understand it, was all about quick transitions from defense to offense by your blueliners. by having defensemen who could make good stretch passes, bouncing passes off the boards, etc, as an outlet when the opposing 'trap' started to close around your initial puck-carrier when he entered the neutral zone. When the opposing forwards clogging up the NZ started to drift towards the guy with the puck, he'd wait until they were committed and then drop the puck back to a defensemen who could quickly shoot a pass thorough a now-open area of the ice, and start the breakout. When those defensemen included the likes of Chris Pronger and Al MacInnis, you've SUBSTANTIALLY opened up your game. Good-but-not-great forwards could have more scoring opportunities by playing the system, even if their one-on-one skills couldn't have beaten the opposing D on their own.

At least, that's how I understood it. Like I said, I may be completely off on all of that.

RAFritchey wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:48 pm

I may be WAY off on this, but I thought Quenneville was credited with 'breaking' the trap that had dominated the NHL since New Jersey re-invented it in their cup-competing years, with his concept of 'puck support,' which, as I understand it, was all about quick transitions from defense to offense by your blueliners. by having defensemen who could make good stretch passes, bouncing passes off the boards, etc, as an outlet when the opposing 'trap' started to close around your initial puck-carrier when he entered the neutral zone. When the opposing forwards clogging up the NZ started to drift towards the guy with the puck, he'd wait until they were committed and then drop the puck back to a defensemen who could quickly shoot a pass thorough a now-open area of the ice, and start the breakout. When those defensemen included the likes of Chris Pronger and Al MacInnis, you've SUBSTANTIALLY opened up your game. Good-but-not-great forwards could have more scoring opportunities by playing the system, even if their one-on-one skills couldn't have beaten the opposing D on their own.

At least, that's how I understood it. Like I said, I may be completely off on all of that.
Sounds pretty close to what I remember.

barnburner wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Same here, I think Q is a great systems coach. He relies on it to a fault, though, and doesn't necessarily adjust tactics when needed, like the physical style of play the Sharks beat the President's Trophy winning Blues team.

blueslifer wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:58 pm
barnburner wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Same here, I think Q is a great systems coach. He relies on it to a fault, though, and doesn't necessarily adjust tactics when needed, like the physical style of play the Sharks beat the President's Trophy winning Blues team.
I think it was more goaltending than anything else.