Re: Off-Season Signing & Trades Thread

SpacemanSpiff wrote:What one site is saying:

So, here’s a possible trade:

Ottawa Gets: Cal Foote, Brayden Point, Brandon Gignac, New Jersey’s 2019 first round draft pick, Tampa’s 2020 second-round pick and third round pick.

Tampa Gets: Erik Karlsson

New Jersey Gets: Tyler Johnson, Ryan Callahan, Bobby Ryan (with Ottawa paying $5 million retained), and Eric Cernak.
The guy who made up this proposal also made up Thomas, Parayko, and a 1st for ROR.
No way Tampa gives up Point, Johnson, Callahan, Foote, a second, and a third for Karlsson.

I find it odd that Tampa is in so big on Karlsson. He is a great player, but I feel like they should just stay the course. They are stacked as it is and have the potential to win it all again this year.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote:

Ottawa Gets: Cal Foote, Brayden Point, Brandon Gignac, New Jersey’s 2019 first round draft pick, Tampa’s 2020 second-round pick and third round pick.

New Jersey Gets: Tyler Johnson, Ryan Callahan, Bobby Ryan (with Ottawa paying $5 million retained), and Eric Cernak.
The guy who made up this proposal also made up Thomas, Parayko, and a 1st for ROR.
No way Tampa gives up Point, Johnson, Callahan, Foote, a second, and a third for Karlsson.

I find it odd that Tampa is in so big on Karlsson. He is a great player, but I feel like they should just stay the course. They are stacked as it is and have the potential to win it all again this year.

I think the return on Karlsson will be a lot less than what most think. Similar to the ROR trade.

Just for the record, my comment earlier was that I'd just be worried about Karlsson's injury history, especially considered what's going on with Weber. Then again, it may be nothing to be worried about, and Karlsson is definitely a huge upgrade to 90% of any dman out there. So if TB gets Karlsson, I'll be excited for my 2nd favorite team, but I would hope the cost is reasonable enough that if Karlsson does suddenly become injury prone, he won't cost the franchise like Weber has long term in Montreal.

BTW:
@reporterchris
47m47 minutes ago
More
The dynamics around an Erik Karlsson trade continue to be tricky, especially with Bobby Ryan and his remaining $30M potentially part of it. Talks are ongoing, but no guarantee something gets done quickly.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Jeremy Rutherford

Verified account

@jprutherford
Following Following @jprutherford
More
The Blues are making a hard push to sign UFA forward and native St. Louisan Pat Maroon. Maroon’s camp is staying patient and weighing their options and a deal does not appear imminent . #stlblues
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:Jeremy Rutherford

Verified account

@jprutherford
More
The Blues are making a hard push to sign UFA forward and native St. Louisan Pat Maroon. Maroon’s camp is staying patient and weighing their options and a deal does not appear imminent . #stlblues
Unless we get 'rid' of Steen, I really don't see a place on this roster for Maroon.

Schwartz/Schenn/Tarasenko
Fabbri-Steen/ROR/Perron
Fabbri-Steen/Bozak-Thomas/Kyrou-Kostin-
Sanford-Soshnikov-Barby-Jaskin-Sunny-Thornburn.

Unless there is zero faith that Fabbri will be able to stay healthy and in the top 9 or not any real expectation of Kyrou cracking the lineup, I just don't get it. He'd be a good player to have, just not sure where he fits in as we are now.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:

Verified account

@jprutherford
More
Unless we get 'rid' of Steen, I really don't see a place on this roster for Maroon.

Fabbri-Steen/ROR/Perron

Unless there is zero faith that Fabbri will be able to stay healthy and in the top 9 or not any real expectation of Kyrou cracking the lineup, I just don't get it. He'd be a good player to have, just not sure where he fits in as we are now.
Hmmm... I still suspect our 4th line might be centered by Thomas creating a nightmare of matchups throughout the whole lineup.

Fabbri O'Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Perron
Steen Bozak Soshnikov/Barbashev/Sanford
Maroon Thomas Kyrou

Then again we might just still be moving Steen out too.

ratonmono wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:

Verified account

@jprutherford
More

Fabbri-Steen/ROR/Perron

Hmmm... I still suspect our 4th line might be centered by Thomas creating a nightmare of matchups throughout the whole lineup.

Fabbri O'Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Perron
Steen Bozak Soshnikov/Barbashev/Sanford
Maroon Thomas Kyrou

Then again we might just still be moving Steen out too.
I just don't think Steen is the guy that gets moved. He's not worth the money, but I think they very much value his versatility. Thing is, as has been pointed out, I think there are a lot of pieces that seem locked in right now. I think Thomas starts on the wing in the top 9. If Maroon comes in, I think maybe you see a D moved or somebody like Barbashev. It'll be tight, but I don't think you need a ton of salary to be moved to get Maroon signed up.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: I just don't think Steen is the guy that gets moved. He's not worth the money, but I think they very much value his versatility. Thing is, as has been pointed out, I think there are a lot of pieces that seem locked in right now. I think Thomas starts on the wing in the top 9. If Maroon comes in, I think maybe you see a D moved or somebody like Barbashev. It'll be tight, but I don't think you need a ton of salary to be moved to get Maroon signed up.
I agree. The Blues may move someone off of that 4th line to create room.
Also, just a question, but is Kyrou really a lock for the team this year? I know Thomas is 99% on the roster, but many people have Kyrou on their mock rosters and I'm just not sure that the Blues see it that way. Adding Maroon to this roster would make the Blues scary as hell.
KA-KAW!

ratonmono wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:I'm fine with Maroon on the fourth line, but not at the salary and term he wants, and I don't think he'd be happy as a 8-12 minutes player.
If we sign him he will get playing time. You know Schwartz and Steen will go down at some point, probably Fabbri too.
My thing, not to keep being repetitive, is that a 4th liner who can move up the lineup is great, but not at $4-5M for 3+ years, which is what I think he is trying to get right?

Even if we move some center to winger, its a full roster without moving Steen:

Steen/ROR/DP
Fabbri/Thomas/Bozak
Maroon/Barby/Soshnikov-Sanford-Thorburn-Sunny-Kyrou-Blais-Nolan-Jaskin, etc....

Would be awesome if we could package Steen and one of those mid-tiered prospects (Jaskin, Sanford, Blais, Soshnikov) for a 2019 first and a mid-tiered D prospect back, and THEN sign Maroon.

LSS: I'm just not cool spending $3+M and 3-4 years on a 'power forward' who has only scored over 20 goals ONCE in his NHL career...while playing on a top line with McDavid, and then hoping someone in out top 9 gets hurt to justify his signing.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

ratonmono wrote:Starting to get the feeling that Karlsson is Tampa bound. Think Johnson, Foote, Raddysh and a 1st gets it done. Maybe Ottawa takes Callahan's contract too? Tampa just has too many pieces at their disposal if they want him, they can get him.

Tampa's top 6 and top 4 D if they get Karlsson is like the NHL version of Golden State:

Miller Stamkos Kucherov
Palat Point Gourde

Hedman Karlsson
McDonagh Sergachev

:shock:
Theres no way Tampa gets EK without including Sergacheev. Thats why Dallas went from frontrunner to moving on because they refused to include Heiskanen. Ottawa HAS to get someone who's less than 3 years away from being a top pairing D. I dont see Dorion budging on this one, this'll be the hill he dies on one way or another......

Looks like all that's left for the Blues to take care of is Schmaltz and Edmundson.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken, a team can exceeded the salary cap in the off season as long as they are under the cap when the season starts. Actually, not sure if it's training camp or the regular season, but it can be exceeded in the off season.

So we can sign Maroon, Edmundson and Schmaltz, exceed the cap as long as we are under by the time training camp/the regular season starts. But, if teams know we're in a tight spot, it makes it easier to bend us over a barrel.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

After losing Tavares to the Maple Leafs, the Islanders have responded by re-acquiring Matt Martin, signing Leo Komarov away from Toronto on a four-year, $12 million contract, signing Tom Kuhnhackl to a one-year deal, and signing Valtteri Filppula to a one-year contract (complete with a no-trade clause). That ought to make Isle fans excited for the new year.

wannabebluesplayer wrote:

That's a lot of good young players Tampa is losing.
There is no way Tampa lands EK without losing Sergacheev. Dorion can't and won't budge on getting a Dman who will be a top pairing guy in 3 years or less. That's why Dallas went from being the odds on favorite to out of it, because they wouldn't include Heiskanen. Either way, I think Dorion is going to die on this hill because you rarely win the trade when you're losing the best player in the trade, and never win when it's a generational talent in their prime - look at Pronger, Gretzky, Roy, etc.

bradleygt89 wrote:Tampa Bay Lightning

Verified account

@TBLightning
12m12 minutes ago
More
KUUUUUUUUUCH!!!

We have signed Nikita Kucherov to an eight-year contract extension worth an average of $9.5 million.
CapFriendly (@CapFriendly) tweeted at 9:14 AM on Tue, Jul 10, 2018:
With the #Lightning announcing they've signed Nikita Kucherov to an 8 year extension at an AAV of $9.5M which kicks in as of the 2019-20 season, we now show Tampa Bay with a projected salary cap of $65,802,499 for the 2019-20 season, with 12 players under contract (7F/3D/2G)

That'sa helluva lotta scratch for 12 players. There's definitely gonna be some turnover in Tampa next year, esp. if they succeed in gettin Karlsson.