Re: GDT: Blues vs Flames - 7 - 10/25

Watching the way this team plays now, including the players (Petro especially) that were around with Hitch, is really starting to make me think Hitch was holding this team back the last couple of years. Sure, he did a ton his first few years that really helped...but these guys just have looked so much better since Yeo took over.

JR mentioned in his game column that he thinks Allen is hurt. Cites a play when he was slow to get up, the play he fell down behind the net on, apparently he left the morning skate early, wasn’t available to the media after the game, and isn’t expected to practice today.

If Allen is nursing something they need to just play Hutts. No sense in risking an injury to Allen.

How about Vince Dunn last night...his confidence is soaring and he just keeps progressing. There were a couple of times where you could see him deciding that he was going to take charge and make a play and just not make the safe play like he did the first few games.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:How about Vince Dunn last night...his confidence is soaring and he just keeps progressing. There were a couple of times where you could see him deciding that he was going to take charge and make a play and just not make the safe play like he did the first few games.
Keeps getting better for sure. He made one brutal play trying to stick handle the puck through a player in the neutral zone that ended up creating a couple good Calgary chances, but that mistake didn't make him hesitant going forward which is a good sign. Also was good that Yeo didn't overreact to it and continued to play him lots after.

Hopefully Allen is alright and I agree with UMSL that we should just play Hutton if Allen needs to nurse anything. Also agree on Dunn, he's exceeded my expectations with how well he would adapt to the NHL game and how he continues to get better every game. I wonder where his potential is. I think he'll be better than Shattenkirk in their respective primes. He won't be on the same level offensively but he'll be close and he'll be much better defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up next to Parayko by the end of the season, although he and Bortz have made a great pair.

I can see why Yeo likes Prosser, he's a great fill in guy that isn't flashy but gets the job done. But, like Robb said, he does seem to crack under pressure on the forecheck. Seems like he's a great #7 in the regular season, but his game isn't built for the playoffs.

Dunn HAS to keep playing even after Bouw returns. I don't know if that means #4 sits and Prosser is waived or they try to work out a trade of some sort. Trade would weaken the depth of the D but it's a risk that might not be bad to take and could free up some much needed cap space.

I also thought the line of Paajarvi, Sundqvist, and Bennett played decent. They weren't flashy, but they weren't detrimental, except for faceoffs. Sundqvist needs to be on a wing. He's killing us on the draws.

wannabebluesplayer wrote:Dunn HAS to keep playing even after Bouw returns. I don't know if that means #4 sits and Prosser is waived or they try to work out a trade of some sort. Trade would weaken the depth of the D but it's a risk that might not be bad to take and could free up some much needed cap space.

I also thought the line of Paajarvi, Sundqvist, and Bennett played decent. They weren't flashy, but they weren't detrimental, except for faceoffs. Sundqvist needs to be on a wing. He's killing us on the draws.
He's 37% on draws, just terrible. That is something that sucks about playing Sobotka with Stastny. The two good face-off guys on the team are on the same line. Makes me wonder if when Berglund returns they might play him on wing with Steen and Stastny so that Sobotka can take draws on the third line.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:How weird is it that through 10 games Petro leads the team in SOG...
Almost as weird as Evander Kane leading the league in SOG so far
Eh, Kane has always been a very high shot output guy. Consistently over 260.

It's more impressive that Petro has hit the net this often :lol:
Just a Russian propaganda account

Beatoni12 wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:How about Vince Dunn last night...his confidence is soaring and he just keeps progressing. There were a couple of times where you could see him deciding that he was going to take charge and make a play and just not make the safe play like he did the first few games.
Keeps getting better for sure. He made one brutal play trying to stick handle the puck through a player in the neutral zone that ended up creating a couple good Calgary chances, but that mistake didn't make him hesitant going forward which is a good sign. Also was good that Yeo didn't overreact to it and continued to play him lots after.
He's forcing his way into the lineup...he's gotten his chance and is making the most of it... some other kids could learn a lot by watching him. I'm impressed by his willingness to take a hit to make the right play. I've seen him get smoked a couple of times, now, but not before he put the puck where he wanted to. It helps that he's not playing for Hitch though...a screw-up here and there, and he'd be watching from the press box.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:How weird is it that through 10 games Petro leads the team in SOG...

WAY more impressive. Maybe he had his eyes checked??? Vastly improved player offensively, for sure.

barnburner wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:

WAY more impressive. Maybe he had his eyes checked??? Vastly improved player offensively, for sure.
Maybe he was allowed to take off his "defense first blinders" Hitch installed?