GDT 10/18/17: Hawks @ Blues, 7p

STLtoday wrote:Blues-Blackhawks: The 'hate' continues

Mike Yeo doesn’t mince words when describing Wednesday’s contest against the dreaded Chicago Blackhawks.

“The rivalry games are always fun to play,” he said. “They’re intense, they’re physical. And obviously, there’s a lot of hatred on the ice, so it brings out the best in everybody.”

Hatred. That’s a pretty strong word. Just what does it mean in a hockey sense?

“I think it’s pretty self-explanatory, to be honest with you,” he said, chuckling. “I don’t think they like us and I don’t think we like them. So when they come out on top I think that they enjoy every minute of it. And I know we do on the flip side of things.”

If that’s the case, then the fans, players, and coaches involved better get a lot of “hatred” off their chests in the 7 p.m. faceoff at Scottrade Center. Why? Because these Midwest rivals meet only four times this season, and don’t meet again until March. You’d, uh, hate to have all those feelings bottled up for the next five months.

After Wednesday, the teams don’t meet again until March 18, and then square off April 4 and April 6.

“I didn’t know that,” Blues forward Kyle Brodziak said. “You know what, that’s good. Hopefully we’ll leave our mark on that team and they won’t forget about it come March.”

So far, the Blackhawks (4-1-1) have been leaving most of the marks — on opposing goalies. They have scored 25 goals in six games, or six goals more than any other team in the Western Conference had mustered entering Tuesday’s play.

That catches your eye. So did that 10-1 Chicago victory over two-time defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh on Oct. 5, the day after the Blues beat the Penguins 5-4 in overtime to open the season.

“That gets your attention for sure,” Brodziak said. “Obviously they were ready and they wanted to make a statement and I think the league is aware of it.”

The Blues certainly are aware of it.

“It just goes to show how dynamic and how skilled they are, and what they can do if we kind of fall back and let them play their style that they want to play,” defenseman Colton Parayko said.

In the big picture, the Blackhawks have been one of the NHL’s elite teams in recent years, what with Stanley Cup championships in 2013 and 2015. They have not made it out of the first round in the past two playoffs but did lead the Western Conference with 109 points during the 2016-17 regular season.

“After a couple years in a row of losing out in the first round, I think maybe it lit a bit of a fire under them,” Brodziak said. “They wanted to make a statement coming into the season. ... They’ve blown a few teams out so you’re almost getting that feeling that they’re hungry and they want to make up for a couple lost years.”

No slouches themselves, the Blues have the NHL’s third-best regular-season record since 2011-12, but without a ton of postseason success like Chicago experienced a couple of years back.

“They’ve kind of been there, done that,” Brodziak said. “Done some of the things that we want to accomplish as a group. They set the benchmark for a lot of years, and we’re a team that’s trying to get to that level. It creates that extra intensity for sure.”

With a roster full of players from Canada, Russia, Sweden and elsewhere, not many Blues are interested in where you attended high school. Many may have heard of Imo’s or Ted Drewes or Gus’ pretzels. But have they had a pork steak?

Even so, those players or coaches with the Blues for any amount of time have a sense of how St. Louis feels about Chicago sports teams.

“I’ve watched a few baseball games, and I think I’ve picked up on it there,” Yeo said. “So yeah, I can see why it’s a big rivalry and it’s fun to be a part of. I think that’s what made that Winter Classic last year so special. It was a great event and it was a perfect rivalry with two good hockey towns.”

“You see it in baseball, the Cubs and Cardinals,” Brodziak said. “Obviously, St. Louis is a big baseball town. But I don’t feel like hockey is trailing that far. We have a huge following of loyal fans who take a lot of pride in their team. This rivalry’s no exception.”

So there will be more fans in the stands for warmups than usual. More than a few early arrivals in Scottrade will be wearing Blackhawks jerseys, and there will be some back-and-forth between fans. Maybe that changes a little with the Cubs playing the Los Angeles Dodgers in the baseball playoffs Wednesday night. Maybe not.

But Parayko, whose big rivalry growing up in St. Albert, Alberta, was Edmonton vs. Calgary — the NHL’s Battle of Alberta — knows one thing never changes.

“At the end of the day, it’s two points on the line that we’re battling for,” he said. “Obviously, you want to get points, especially against division teams.”

Especially against a rival.
really fucking weird we don't see them again until march. way to engender rivalries, you fucking scheduling dunces.

i hate them, but one thing we can all agree on:

Re: GDT 10/18/17: Hawks @ Blues, 7p

DA ain't got nothing to do with that, it is Yeo's call on lineup.

These were practice lines yesterday:

Blais-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Sobotka
Paajarvi-Barbashev-Jaskin
Upshall-Sundqvist-Brodziak

Steen/Megan/Thornburn

My guess?

Steen/Stastny/Tarasenko
Schwartz/Schenn/Blais
Sobi/Barbashev/Jaskin-MPS
MPS-Upshall/Sundqvist/Brodziak

MPS-Jaskin-Upshall/Thornburn with Megan sent down via waivers.

LET'S GO BLUES!!!!!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

While Steen coming back would be extremely helpful, I think having 3 days of rest after 4 games in 6 nights might be even more beneficial. There were certainly some signs of fatigue in the two games in Florida. Unfortunately, the Hawks have had a similar break, and will be bolstering their forward group as well with the return of Nick Schmaltz. Should be a good one, I wouldn't at all mind seeing Schenn really endear himself to the hometown crowd with a big hit on any number of Hawks.

LGB!!!!!!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Blais-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Sobotka
Paajarvi-Barbashev-Jaskin
Upshall-Sundqvist-Brodziak

Put Steen in for Sobotka, and put Sobi on the 3rd line and sit MPS.

I think Megan will get picked up on waivers and if that happens that's a shame. The kid did everything possible to get a shot and he never got it. I hate it when players get stereotyped and typecast.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:I'm not a fan of making a trade the first week of the season. We still don't even know what kind of team we have. Getting Steen back and some stability to the top 9 will go along way of determining that.

I mean, Sobotka's gone from 1st line to 3rd line now. It's starting to to play itself out
^This...although, as the season goes on, will the price on certain players (and teams) increase or decrease? If a deal that is an obvious benefit becomes available, do it. But honestly, I like our team...the loss of Fabri has hurt the most, but hopefully that is it for major long term injuries to our top 9. Besides of course Berglund and Stanford. :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

BillP wrote:It's Armstrong's time to make a difference. Surplus at defense, lots of prospects & depth in organization. For the past year I've wanted him to grab Athanasiou off the Wings & I think that can be a had at a reasonable cost.
I don't think it's RIGHT now, but more likely after the New Year, once we've seen how the youngsters are holding up in the 'regular grind' of a pro season, once Berglund and Bouwmeester (and, to a lesser extend, Sanford) are back and, along with Steen, playing back up to potential, whether any teams are running away with their division, or already so far behind that they're sure sellers, etc.

Also, when Vegas eventually (inevitably) become sellers later on in the season, it'll surely create more of a 'buyers market' so to speak, and hopefully, the Blues will be clear buyers by that point!