GDT: Blues @ Rags, 6pm CST

https://www.nhl.com/blues/video/oct-10- ... c-53336603

The New York Rangers and Henrik Lundqvist will look to build off their first win of the season when they continue a heavy stretch of home games with a Tuesday contest against the St. Louis Blues at Madison Square Garden.

Lundqvist rebounded from allowing five goals and being pulled after one period during the Rangers' 8-5 road loss against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday by making 34 saves in his 64th career shutout on Sunday, a 2-0 victory against the visiting Montreal Canadiens.

"It was very important to bounce back for all of us and also the way we won the game," Lundqvist said. "This is how we have to play; you have to do every little thing right."

Mika Zibanejad scored for the Rangers against Montreal, his fourth goal of the season. He has scored in each of the team's first three games, including two in an opening-night loss against the Colorado Avalanche.

ADVERTISEMENT

"There's no doubt that Mika knew we put a lot of faith in his play," Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said. "We signed him to a long-term deal, and we expected him to be an impact player on the team.

"The way he has started is the way that he has to continue. He has to continue to be a force on the ice -- a difference-maker -- and that's what we expect from him."

The Rangers play nine of their first 11, and 10 of their first 13, at home.

The Blues are completing the second half of a back-to-back, as they won 3-2 in a shootout against the New York Islanders in a Monday matinee at Barclays Center.

Lundqvist is expected to start for New York while Carter Hutton, who backed up Jake Allen on Monday, was announced as St. Louis' starter after the game.

Hutton appeared in 30 games for the Blues in 2016-17, posting a 13-8-2 record with a 2.39 goals-against average and a .913 save-percentage.

The Blues have won each of their first three games. Vladimir Tarasenko scored twice and converted in the shootout for St. Louis against the Islanders to begin the New York swing.

"It's hard not to just sit there and be in awe of (Tarasenko's) shot," St. Louis coach Mike Yeo said.

The Blues defeated the Dallas Stars 4-2 on Saturday, and they edged the defending champion Pittsburgh Penguins 5-4 in overtime Wednesday on opening night. Allen started each of St. Louis' first three games, stopping 107 of 115 shots, including 40 on Monday against the Islanders.

St. Louis led the Islanders 2-0 in the third period before New York scored twice in the final seven minutes of regulation to force overtime. The Blues also led the Penguins by two goals in the third before conceding twice, and they surrendered both goals against Dallas in the final 20 minutes.

"We have to make sure we're not getting caught in this cycle because, when the score is tied, or earlier in the game when both teams are pushing, that's when we play our best hockey," Yeo said. "We have to make sure that we continue to do that for 60 minutes."

The Rangers claimed forward Adam Cracknell off waivers on Monday from the Dallas Stars. Cracknell played under Rangers assistant coach Lindy Ruff in Dallas. New York scratched 18-year-old rookie forward Filip Chytil against the Canadiens, dressing 11 forwards, after Chytil appeared in the first two games of the season.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/preview?gameId=400961642

Re: GDT: Blues @ Rags, 6pm CST

I hope Bortuzzo comes out. He's been taking too many penalties and he failed to use his size effectively at the front of the net on the Isles first goal last night, which let the Isles back into the game. All Bort really has is his size/physicality, so if he isn't using that effectively he's not a very useful player.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:I hope Bortuzzo comes out. He's been taking too many penalties and he failed to use his size effectively at the front of the net on the Isles first goal last night, which let the Isles back into the game. All Bort really has is his size/physicality, so if he isn't using that effectively he's not a very useful player.
Did you guys watch the play that he got fined for? He was sticking up for Dunn who got smashed on an open ice hit without even having the puck. Not to mention, the Islanders player was bleeding because he got hit with his own teammates stick while he was on the ice. I hope Borts stays in the lineup. He is the only one that defends his teammates.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:I hope Bortuzzo comes out. He's been taking too many penalties and he failed to use his size effectively at the front of the net on the Isles first goal last night, which let the Isles back into the game. All Bort really has is his size/physicality, so if he isn't using that effectively he's not a very useful player.
Did you guys watch the play that he got fined for? He was sticking up for Dunn who got smashed on an open ice hit without even having the puck. Not to mention, the Islanders player was bleeding because he got hit with his own teammates stick while he was on the ice. I hope Borts stays in the lineup. He is the only one that defends his teammates.
It was Paajarvi who got hit I'm pretty sure. Yeah, it should have been interference on the Isles' player, but there wasn't really any reason for Bortuzzo to go crazy like he did. Knocking the player to the ice would have been fine and enough retribution, but blatantly cross-checking the guy twice while he was on the ground, in front of the zebra, was not smart. It was a late hit but wasn't necessarily dirty (wasn't a hit to the head or anything) or deserving of the kind of reaction Borts gave, and him losing his cool like that could have really hurt the team.

There are plenty of other guys who defend their teammates on this roster...Schenn fought against Wilson after Blais got boarded this season, Jaskin fought Wilson after Thomas got hit in the preseason, Petro has stepped up for teammates in the past...Bortuzzo isn't the only guy who does it.

I like a player like Bortz though... takes care of business right when he should. If you wait for the right time, sometimes it never comes, and winds up being one of those staged fights that no-one really wants to see. Let Bortz play like he has a couple of screws loose... keeps the opposition honest.

Count me in as a Bortz supporter. The guy gives the Blues a much needed edge. It's an absolute must that he stays in lineup due to the fact that not only are the Blues at least 1 thumper short in the top 9 but this team has a lot of kids in the lineup so the protection is needed.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Jaskin benched; missed team meeting. Barbashev up to 2nd line RW, Megan out as well, Thorburn and Sundqvist back in. All per Gordo
Is that why Jaskin got benched? He missed a team meeting? If so, that's understandable. Because otherwise I didn't understand it.

BillP wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:Jaskin benched; missed team meeting. Barbashev up to 2nd line RW, Megan out as well, Thorburn and Sundqvist back in. All per Gordo
Is that why Jaskin got benched? He missed a team meeting? If so, that's understandable. Because otherwise I didn't understand it.
Yup. That’s what Yeo told the media, scratches because he missed a meeting this morning.

Blows my mind a guy whose been on the fringes can be so careless to miss a meeting. Was playing well this year so far too.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:There are plenty of other guys who defend their teammates on this roster...Schenn fought against Wilson after Blais got boarded this season, Jaskin fought Wilson after Thomas got hit in the preseason, Petro has stepped up for teammates in the past...Bortuzzo isn't the only guy who does it.
True, but of all those guys, Bortuzzo is the one I'd least mind sitting in the box or even getting ejected, or possibly getting injured and missing multiple games. If he could only be at least adequate defensively...

RAFritchey wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:There are plenty of other guys who defend their teammates on this roster...Schenn fought against Wilson after Blais got boarded this season, Jaskin fought Wilson after Thomas got hit in the preseason, Petro has stepped up for teammates in the past...Bortuzzo isn't the only guy who does it.
True, but of all those guys, Bortuzzo is the one I'd least mind sitting in the box or even getting ejected, or possibly getting injured and missing multiple games. If he could only be at least adequate defensively...
No doubt. And I don’t hate Bort. He’s played well before, and is certainly a useful player. I just think he hasn’t been good enough so far this season, IMO.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
BillP wrote:
Yup. That’s what Yeo told the media, scratches because he missed a meeting this morning.

Blows my mind a guy whose been on the fringes can be so careless to miss a meeting. Was playing well this year so far too.
Seriously. Well, hopefully she was REALLY hot!

Sneptsmoustache wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
BillP wrote:

Seriously. Well, hopefully she was REALLY hot!
good one!!