Re: Jagr or Upshall???

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Upshall on the ice this morning, wearing No. 9. Per JR
Upshall formerly number 10, now worn by Schenn, is now number 9, formerly worn by Jaden Schwartz, who is now wearing 17, formerly worn by Vladimir Sobotka who is now wearing 71. Just sayin......

BillP wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Upshall on the ice this morning, wearing No. 9. Per JR
Upshall formerly number 10, now worn by Schenn, is now number 9, formerly worn by Jaden Schwartz, who is now wearing 17, formerly worn by Vladimir Sobotka who is now wearing 71. Just sayin......
Soooo, number 68 is still available then?
Just a Russian propaganda account

I really hate this signing. Fuck the cap. Jagr would bring in more seats to the rink than Upshall and he would replace what we actually lost.

This signing is shit. Upshall was totally out of gas and was easily the weakest performer in the playoffs last season.

insideout wrote:Neither player would make much of a difference. Jagr would have been more interesting.
Jagr would have helped on The PP, but hurt on defence 5 on 5. Upshall can help on The PK, but is also a liability on defence, and we'd better hope he learns to stop taking unnecessary penalties (especially now that slashing is being highlighted). I'd rather they'd have signed Jagr. Other Blues can excel on The PK.

The assumptions everyone is making about Jagr are pretty hilarious. For Jagr to sign with the Blues he would have to A. Want to play in the Western Conference, B. Want to play at a salary the Blues can fit under the cap while leaving a little wiggle room, C. Not want to play in the Olympics, D. Not have any better offers or offers in from more desirable teams.

Just because he hasn't signed anywhere yet doesn't mean he hasn't gotten offers or that he won't. Maybe he wants to wait till camp is over to save his old legs. Maybe he's holding put for more money or until the Olympics are over. Maybe he only wants to play for a couple teams that wanted to see how some lids or PTO guys fared first.

Whatever the case, the notion that he was just sitting by his phone waiting for a peanuts offer from DA is a joke.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Armstrong said a new signing would have to fit within Fabbri's entry level salary which is a JOKE!

The Blues NEED a star attraction in a league that lacks the HUGE stars it had in the 80s & 90s! A Jagr signing would bring more money, tickets, ratings, & interest!

Just try it for a few months & if it doesn't work then release him.

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun 10 minutes ago

Armstrong says he, Martin Brodeur and Mike Yeo spoke with Jagr on the phone over the weekend then made him an offer. No hard feelings though
Well it sounds like an offer was made, but Jagr chose Calgary. Doesn't seem like money was a factor since the Calgary offer was for $1 million with another $1 million possible in bonuses.

Dave's a mess wrote:

Armstrong says he, Martin Brodeur and Mike Yeo spoke with Jagr on the phone over the weekend then made him an offer. No hard feelings though
Well it sounds like an offer was made, but Jagr chose Calgary. Doesn't seem like money was a factor since the Calgary offer was for $1 million with another $1 million possible in bonuses.
I call BS.

BluesSK wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:

I call BS.
They probably offered him the same $800K that they gave Uppy.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
BluesSK wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:
I call BS.
Pierre LeBrun‏
@PierreVLeBrun

I believe the Blues' offer to Jagr was similar to what he has signed in Calgary ($1 M base salary plus $1 M in bonuses). He chose the Flames

Dave's a mess wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
BluesSK wrote:
I call BS.
Pierre LeBrun‏
@PierreVLeBrun

I believe the Blues' offer to Jagr was similar to what he has signed in Calgary ($1 M base salary plus $1 M in bonuses). He chose the Flames
As has already been mentioned, why choose the Flames? They aren't close to winning a Cup. The taxes are higher. The travel is worse and if the dollars are the same it is a no brainer.

I think the Blues interest was tepid at best. "Kicking the tires".