9/25 - NHL and bubble players/prospects

Per JR: Blues divided into two groups today, NHL players and then bubble players/prospects. Six defensemen, 10 forwards, two goalies. So it would appear that there is one D slot open (Dunn? Walman?) and five forward slots. Notable inclusions in the "NHL" group are Prosser, Jaskin, Barbashev, and Paajarvi (notable in that they appear to have a roster spot locked up) and notable exclusions are Bennett and Sundqvist. Let's assume those last two make it...that leaves three? There are 23 roster spots I think? At any rate, I think Blais, Megan, and maybe Thompson will make the cut? Or maybe they give Thomas or Kyrou a nine-gamer just for fun. Hmmmm...oh the intrigue. Whoever that bubble guy is, probably goes back down if Fabbri or Steen comes back in fairly short order. Megan probably second to go back down in my (absolutely worthless) opinion.

D men:
Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Parayko
Prosser-Bortuzzo

Forwards:
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Schenn-Paajarvi
Barbashev/Jaskin-Brodziak-Thorburn

G: Allen, Hutton
Last edited by Sneptsmoustache on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 9/24 - NHL and bubble players/prospects

Sneptsmoustache wrote:Per JR: Blues divided into two groups today, NHL players and then bubble players/prospects. Six defensemen, 10 forwards, two goalies. So it would appear that there is one D slot open (Dunn? Walman?) and five forward slots. Notable inclusions in the "NHL" group are Prosser, Jaskin, Barbashev, and Paajarvi (notable in that they appear to have a roster spot locked up) and notable exclusions are Bennett and Sundqvist. Let's assume those last two make it...that leaves three? There are 23 roster spots I think? At any rate, I think Blais, Megan, and maybe Thompson will make the cut? Or maybe they give Thomas or Kyrou a nine-gamer just for fun. Hmmmm...oh the intrigue. Whoever that bubble guy is, probably goes back down if Fabbri or Steen comes back in fairly short order. Megan probably second to go back down in my (absolutely worthless) opinion.

D men:
Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Parayko
Prosser-Bortuzzo

Forwards:
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Schenn-Paajarvi
Barbashev/Jaskin-Brodziak-Thorburn

G: Allen, Hutton
Interesting they divided them up like this.

Personally Sundqvist hasn't done anything for me to make the team. Additionally, he's only played center thus far. 3/4 center spots are absolutely locked up it would seem (Stastny, Schenn, Brodziak). For that third line center you have Barbashev, Megan, Sundqvist, Thomas, etc as potential guys there. I don't think he's played as well as any of those guys...and if he's only a C it doesn't make sense to me to have him making the team. And its not like he has lots of "experience" a la Bennett to break a tie for him on.

I'm assuming Bennett has a spot because of his experience. Past that, if it were up to me the last 4 forwards would be Megan, Blais, Thompson, and either Thomas or Kyrou.

The thing to me is the injured guys we've got (Fabbri and Steen) are guys we rely on for offense...replacing them in the lineup with Bennett, Sundqvist, etc isn't going to help us out much. We have kids with offensive potential, lets see what they can do. Worst case is they can be sent out to AHL/junior if need be.

I'm a huge Walman fan but I think Dunn has outplayed him, so I'd give the last D spot to Dunn. But, I think the Blues are planning on giving it to Walman. He's played a lot with Bortuzzo so you'd think that'd be the third pairing, Prosser in the press box.

Isn't it funny how we as fans spend so much time discussing lines when we know after a loss or two or just a bad shift or two they will be juggled?

Injuries or no injuries, I don't like Sobotka on a top 6 line. He just doesn't have the skillset for it. He is who he is. Would prefer a Jaskin, PRV, Barb or one of the other youngsters getting that line spot. Players with some top 6 offensive talent somewhere in them.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Isn't it funny how we as fans spend so much time discussing lines when we know after a loss or two or just a bad shift or two they will be juggled?

Injuries or no injuries, I don't like Sobotka on a top 6 line. He just doesn't have the skillset for it. He is who he is. Would prefer a Jaskin, PRV, Barb or one of the other youngsters getting that line spot. Players with some top 6 offensive talent somewhere in them.
Perhaps the lines within the group shouldn't be taken as gospel. While Sobotka is in the NHL group, it doesn't necessarily mean he's destined for the second line on opening night. Rather, it might just be how things work out within the A group to run practice. Just to extend the example, I don't imagine Barbashev/Jaskin will be skating with Brodziak and Thorburn in the regular season, but this is how the 10 "locks" sort themselves out. Having said that, I don't mind Sobotka up there for now. I think putting him with Schenn who I believe hasn't been great defensively at center in his career is a reasonable move.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: 9/25 - NHL and bubble players/prospects

BillP wrote:I want Megan to make the team. The guy deserves a legit shot this year IMO. It'll be a nice problem to have if he pans out.
Agree.

Seems to me like the guy has done everything a team could ask to improve his game, become a better player, and lead scoring down in the A. Hopefully he's got a little chip on his shoulder and plays like he wants to keep his NHL job.

Re: 9/25 - NHL and bubble players/prospects

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:What do we think Blais' upside is? Can he be a top 6 forward? 25 goals?
Honestly? I don't see why not, given his development curve over the last couple years. Unless you're talking about this season specifically, in which case I would say that's pretty aggressive.

OHHHHH the Blues just made some cuts! Thomas and Kyrou to San Antonio, plus Bennett on waivers. The intrigue continues...