Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Stars - 7:00 - FSMW/ESPN+ - 3/2

barnburner wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:53 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:43 pm
barnburner wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Hopefully, Petro will be playing somewhere else next season. While we will never agree on the severity of "SitGate," at least it will be history.
Totally agree. Kind of wonder how Berube feels about. Petro. If Doug does deal him at the draft, then IMO Berube had something to say about it and it accelerated the process. Right now, Berube is only an interim, but by the draft he’ll be the HC so he should get his say.
Just my two cents, but I have to believe that Berube is going to want a more involved, aggressive, captain. I'll probably be proven wrong, but if Petro is still here next season, I think the Chief gives the C to either ROR, or Schenn.
If its not ROR, I'd be surprised, and upset a bit. There are others who've been here longer, such as Tarasenko and Schwartz, and while Tarasenko will drop the gloves on a very rare occasion, he also has his lapses of effort. I want a Captain who will consistently lead by example, on and off the ice.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:07 pm Since we’re talking about leadership and captaincy, etc., David Backes just had his 3rd fight in 4 games for Bruins. Backes, standing up for Johansen, who got knocked out of the game by Ferland. Backes on the next shift takes Ferland on off the next faceoff as retribution. I think Berube would have a lot of respect for David if he was still here.
No doubt. Berube respects players who are going to do the right thing for the team.

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:06 pm
barnburner wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:53 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Totally agree. Kind of wonder how Berube feels about. Petro. If Doug does deal him at the draft, then IMO Berube had something to say about it and it accelerated the process. Right now, Berube is only an interim, but by the draft he’ll be the HC so he should get his say.
Just my two cents, but I have to believe that Berube is going to want a more involved, aggressive, captain. I'll probably be proven wrong, but if Petro is still here next season, I think the Chief gives the C to either ROR, or Schenn.
If its not ROR, I'd be surprised, and upset a bit. There are others who've been here longer, such as Tarasenko and Schwartz, and while Tarasenko will drop the gloves on a very rare occasion, he also has his lapses of effort. I want a Captain who will consistently lead by example, on and off the ice.
I agree. ROR has carried this team all year with his noon stop effort. Taking the youngsters out on the ice and working to make them better pros, etc. When was the last time we saw our Captain do something like that?

Re: Petro megathread

ok, so i split all the petro talk from the GDT. i also went through the forum and dug up all (most?) of the petro threads and merged them. while there is, i'm sure, some petro talk in other threads, these were the dedicated petro threads. now we have one megathread. just thought it was amusing reading how some people's opinion changed over time and some didn't. regardless, it starts with us signing him to a 7yr deal. enjoy. next time someone wants to talk about petro for a while, we should do it here.

Well, I know my opinion didnt change. I said back in 14 after the Hawk series to trade Petro to Edmonton for their 3rd pick, which ended up being Draisaitl by the way. 99% jumped on me, some thought I was joking. That was over on the asylum by the way, before I came to the promised land here - ha. In fact Moose was the only one who posted in my defense on that thread. But I wanted the Blues to assemble a defense that had more bite.

T.C. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:56 am ok, so i split all the petro talk from the GDT. i also went through the forum and dug up all (most?) of the petro threads and merged them. while there is, i'm sure, some petro talk in other threads, these were the dedicated petro threads. now we have one megathread. just thought it was amusing reading how some people's opinion changed over time and some didn't. regardless, it starts with us signing him to a 7yr deal. enjoy. next time someone wants to talk about petro for a while, we should do it here.
Now thats some intense moderation work right there! I imagine this was not an easy task, haha

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:07 pm Since we’re talking about leadership and captaincy, etc., David Backes just had his 3rd fight in 4 games for Bruins. Backes, standing up for Johansen, who got knocked out of the game by Ferland. Backes on the next shift takes Ferland on off the next faceoff as retribution. I think Berube would have a lot of respect for David if he was still here.
I cringe every time I hear about Backes fighting these days. With his concussion history I just hate him inviting blows to his head. I know and respect why he does it, but big picture with him it just makes me feel uneasy.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:10 am
I cringe every time I hear about Backes fighting these days. With his concussion history I just hate him inviting blows to his head. I know and respect why he does it, but big picture with him it just makes me feel uneasy.
No kidding. Concussions are not anything to ignore.

I know I went off on Petro. I was drinking the whiskey and I hate it when my Blues don't at least appear / try to be tough opponents.

That said, I woud 100% do Petro for Nylander. Toronto should go for it. They have one of the best left D in the game. Rielly and Petro would be the best D pairing in the league.

39hurricane wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:55 am I know I went off on Petro. I was drinking the whiskey and I hate it when my Blues don't at least appear / try to be tough opponents.

That said, I woud 100% do Petro for Nylander. Toronto should go for it. They have one of the best left D in the game. Rielly and Petro would be the best D pairing in the league.
This is a wee bit off topic, but I really think Toronto made a blunder by not going all in, Columbus style this year. Their window isn't closed by any means after this year, but they will never be able to add to the elite core like they could this year. From a Leafs perspective and taking off my Blues fan hat, I think they absolutely should've overwhelmed Armstrong for Petro if they had to. He's exactly what they need on the back end. The Muzzin trade isn't quite trying to fit a round peg in a square hole, but maybe pentagonal peg (does that metaphor hold up? don't care, rolling with it). Muzzin's fine, but they really needed a top pair right D, not another left. It's going to have to be somewhat of a bloody offseason for them after they sign Marner and the Matthews extension kicks in, and while they apparently have some nice pieces in the pipeline, I don't think they'll be able to fill in and be difference makers on cheap contracts next season.

barnburner wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:50 am

Not sure I linked that properly on my phone, but apparently Backes is choosing to ignore them. We should never be surprised hockey players think like this, but that seems incredibly stupid just to stay in the lineup.

Beatoni12 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:21 am

https://twitter.com/globekpd/status/110 ... 64320?s=21

Not sure I linked that properly on my phone, but apparently Backes is choosing to ignore them. We should never be surprised hockey players think like this, but that seems incredibly stupid just to stay in the lineup.
How much money is enough money?

Oh I know. He took on a heavy weight in San Jose the other day, can't think of his name, and Backes just basically sacrificed himself there and protected himself best he could. But last night he put himself in jeopardy. The guy plays like he's willing to die on the ice, got to give him respect for what he brings. I sure hope he gets some bounces and starts getting some breaks. He deserves it. I'm still in his corner.

Yeah, you just kind of see it that his future looks cloudy. Feel so bad for him. Hope that's not the case but the history is there and he's still battling.

Loved Backes when he was here. Wish him health.

He can't skate, check, or score at anywhere near he did a few years ago. If he wants to be in the line up he has to do this.

Guy should retire after this season and come back to the Blues in a player development / scouting / assistant to the GM job.

He's made plenty of money in the league.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 am

I don't know Backes at all, but I wonder if the money is the motivation or just the cliche love of hockey/desire to get his name on the Cup. He always came off as an intelligent, thoughtful guy, and you'd think he'd have a bright future off the ice once he hangs them up, but I'm sure it's hard for a professional athlete to call it a career. Every old boxer thinks he has one more fight in them.

Where was Chara in all of this? What a shitty captain.

MissouriMook wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:17 pm
:lol:

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 am

That’s the thing, it’s not about money at all. He’s gonna get paid the same regardless of what he does. He’s choosing to do this just so he can stay in the lineup as opposed to sit in the press box, where he’d get paid the exact same amount.

MissouriMook wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:17 pm
I don't know where Chara was at the time, but I'm fairly sure Justin Williams wasn't sitting on him.