Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Stars - 7:00 - FSMW/ESPN+ - 3/2

T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:20 am Yeah, no way is that the "singularly most embarrassing moment". Allen's dive the other day was even arguably more embarrassing than Benn sitting on Petro. Bergevin throwing the puck into his own net certainly was. Winning the president's trophy and then bowing out in the first round was as well.
those were embarrassing, sure.
1) allen's dive - he fucked up multiple ways on that one play and displayed prime allen-ing. one man fucking up.
2) bergevin own-goal was ridiculous, but the right idea at least. it was one goal and we had to move on. we even gave him a watch afterwards. one man fucking up.
3) 1999-2000 blues - losing in 7 in the first round after winning the president's trophy was a disaster. there were appropriate consequences for the team. we went out and got guys like mellanby and dropped noodles, for example. and we beat the sharks in the rematch the following year. ultimately, i'd argue that almost the entire team showing up with bleached hair/eyebrows was the most embarrassing thing about it.

you see two examples of one guy embarrassing himself (nothing to be done about that) and an entire team embarrassing themselves (things were done about it afterwards). none of these things are remotely in the same arena as the opposing team's captain manhandling and embarrassing our captain. that is something that just can't happen without consequences. while petro absolutely should have immediately exacted payment for this offense, there were 20+ other guys that could have done something about it, many times over by now. and no one has. if you think this doesn't speak volumes about how these guys feel about their captain, i don't know what to tell you. an emasculating, embarrassing thing happened to your captain, and it is completely within your power to create consequences for the offender, and you don't do it? not remotely related to the other "embarrassing" things you listed.
Ditto. That's why I can't see Berube letting him wear the C next year.
Last edited by barnburner on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:20 am
bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:03 amI don't agree with that, Rivers discussed it on his podcast yesterday too. I've also seen Dallas fans post about it on Twitter this year too:

(For a non-Blues game even)

Sorry, but outside of some terrible goals let in from the blue line, #Sitgate was the singularly most embarrassing moment for this Blues franchise in the last 25 years, at least IMO.
Okay, so some people are still talking about it. I stand corrected.

Yeah, no way is that the "singularly most embarrassing moment". Allen's dive the other day was even arguably more embarrassing than Benn sitting on Petro. Bergevin throwing the puck into his own net certainly was. Winning the president's trophy and then bowing out in the first round was as well.
Not just the last 25 years...the Benn incident is the most embarrassing moment in Blues history at least when it comes to stuff that happened on the ice. Like JR mentioned...a lot of Blues alumni weren't happy with the captains lack of response.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

39hurricane wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:04 am Petro for Nylander all day.
Probably could of got Nylander and picks. He's up to speed now and is looking great these days. Big whiff by Army in not unloading him to Toronto. Like I said before, I got complete confidence in Army that he will screw this up with Petro. Either we end up with less than what we could of originally had or he'll end up resigning him.

The obsession with this incident is seriously bizarre. This thread just makes it all the more clear that there are quite a few people who cannot judge anything regarding Pietrangelo logically. This is the thread about a game, where Petro largely played well, scored the Blues only goal, yet the only talk in here about how Petro is terrible or whatever because of an incident that happened a year ago. Seriously strange. Whatever you guys think though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am the fact that the thread kind of forked lead us here. i didn't feel like it was enough to warrant splitting the thread. the positives about this one game you mention are exactly what started it. "yes, he's good, but..." and i feel like i detailed why we are still talking about it well enough.

shrug right back at ya.
The point isn't that the thread should be split or anything like that.

The point is that its a testament to how much a few posters here dislike Petro (and therefore are unable to objectively criticize, praise, or discuss his play) that in a game in which he largely played well and scored a goal, the post-game discussion goes back to an incident a year ago. And further testament to the original point that this incident a year ago is then blown up to "the most embarrassing thing ever".

For those of us who used to post on the asylum, its nearing a Bleeder-Elliott level obsession with some of y'all with Pietrangelo and the whole sitting incident.

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:21 am What "kind of forked" this thread was too many days between Blues games. The NHL needs to compress their schedule so there's little time for fans' minds to wander & reminisce about past transgressions. Give us games, and give them to us NOW!
It is pretty crazy that we were playing 4 games a week it seemed like every week and now we're hardly playing at all.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:24 am
JMC-STL wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:21 am What "kind of forked" this thread was too many days between Blues games. The NHL needs to compress their schedule so there's little time for fans' minds to wander & reminisce about past transgressions. Give us games, and give them to us NOW!
It is pretty crazy that we were playing 4 games a week it seemed like every week and now we're hardly playing at all.
yeah, this. easy way to make us all shut up would be to play more games and either a) play well and win them so we talk about that, or b) play like shit and lose them so we find something/someone new to hate and talk about that. but i'll never forget benn sat on petro and laughed and no one did anything. just like i'll never forget mayers bleached his fucking eyebrows.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:23 am
T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am the fact that the thread kind of forked lead us here. i didn't feel like it was enough to warrant splitting the thread. the positives about this one game you mention are exactly what started it. "yes, he's good, but..." and i feel like i detailed why we are still talking about it well enough.

shrug right back at ya.

The point is that its a testament to how much a few posters here dislike Petro (and therefore are unable to objectively criticize, praise, or discuss his play) that in a game in which he largely played well and scored a goal, the post-game discussion goes back to an incident a year ago. And further testament to the original point that this incident a year ago is then blown up to "the most embarrassing thing ever".

For those of us who used to post on the asylum, its nearing a Bleeder-Elliott level obsession with some of y'all with Pietrangelo and the whole sitting incident.
C'mon man....its nothing of the sort. Most of us here probably believe Petro is a good player. i certainly believe he's a good player.,,,i just feel he's quite a bit overrated, Granted there are players I like better but when it comes down to it, I'm not tied to any player long term. I have my own rules in terms of keeping players....not that it applies to any actual team but in this day and age with salary, contract length and value...if you've been on my team for 7 years and you are 27 or older and we haven't won anything....I'm moving you for the next wave of younger players.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:22 am
Probably could of got Nylander and picks. He's up to speed now and is looking great these days. Big whiff by Army in not unloading him to Toronto. Like I said before, I got complete confidence in Army that he will screw this up with Petro. Either we end up with less than what we could of originally had or he'll end up resigning him.
Armstrong talked to Toronto about Nylander for Petro during his holdout and they weren't willing to move him. If they're not trading him for Petro straight up when he's unsigned, they're not giving him up plus picks.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army. Army.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:50 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:22 am
Armstrong talked to Toronto about Nylander for Petro during his holdout and they weren't willing to move him. If they're not trading him for Petro straight up when he's unsigned, they're not giving him up plus picks.
It was reported that Army asked for Nylander plus more. We assume it was a first round pick and a top prospect as well. Considering that Dubas screwed up the Muzzin deal and their defense is still an issue, Dubas might of been better off working out that deal with Army any way. I don't blame Army asking for the moon but we've been down this road before where he ends up with less like the Oshie and Shatty deals. He'll have to hit the home run at the next draft, after that the return for Petro will drop, if it hasn't already.

shrug right back at ya.

Speaking for myself, when Petro has a good game, I say so. I would assume that different people have different criteria regarding what a good or bad game is for Petro. He's supposed to be the #1dman and Captain. If he's not the best dman on the ice for the Blues that night, then he didn't have a good game. He's rightfully held to a higher standard. I will admit to believing that he does not, and never will, live up to the title of a #1dman and Captain. It's just not in him. As a2d pairing guy, he's ok.

I have ZERO issue with Petro's play as a dman overall, and most on here don't either (cannot speak for Tim ;) ).

MY issue is about his leadership, or lack of it. About his ability to respond, or lack of it. About his ability to inspire, or lack of it. Those 'intangibles' that we talk about and value. Seeing your favorite team's Captain getting owned like a bitch by a rival team's Captain, AND then there being ZERO response is what this is about. It's about having some fucking pride in your team, your teammate, your franchise, etc.

Has this issue been overblown...yeah, a bit. But I will not apologize for being extremely disappointed in Petro's leadership skills. His on ice skills as a dman? Top pairing for sure. His leadership skills, they aren't even questionable anymore. The answer was found under Benn's ass.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

shrug right back at ya.

Let's not get crazy here. :lol:

If this were the asylum people would have started 13 different threads on the same subject and half of them would be the same poster under five different names, and personal attacks would be flying everywhere.

Overall this is just people disagreeing all civil like about the captain. The way it should be. It's no fun to agree on everything anyway.

ratonmono wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:34 pm

shrug right back at ya.

Let's not get crazy here. :lol:

If this were the asylum people would have started 13 different threads on the same subject and half of them would be the same poster under five different names, and personal attacks would be flying everywhere.

Overall this is just people disagreeing all civil like about the captain. The way it should be. It's no fun to agree on everything anyway.
Yes, I made a drastic exaggeration.

Just like many others are doing in this discussion. ;)

I wasn't exaggerating when I said it was the most embarrassing moment for this franchise over the last 25 years. I said 25 because I couldn't remember what year it was the franchise missed the draft because of the whole ownership debacle. So in the WHOLE history of the franchise, #sitgate is definitely in the top 5 of most embarrassing things to happen to the Blues, IMHO....and in the opinion of many other Blues fans and Alumni and those who cover the Blues.

But I'm done with it now. I do understand where you are coming from UMSL, and as someone who only recently left the Allen defense squad, I admire your defense of Petro. And again, at least for me, I ain't got too many issues with his d play on the ice for whom he is. But I will never be convinced that he is a great leader and should remain the Blues Captain.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:45 pmBut I'm done with it now. I do understand where you are coming from UMSL, and as someone who only recently left the Allen defense squad, I admire your defense of Petro. And again, at least for me, I ain't got too many issues with his d play on the ice for whom he is. But I will never be convinced that he is a great leader and should remain the Blues Captain.
I don't really see what I'm doing here as "defending" a player. This conversation hasn't been about the merits of Petro (who, I think, should be moved this offseason as I think the core is stale, could use a leadership shakeup, and I prefer to keep Tarasenko).

I just think its crazy that people are still on about the Benn sitting on Petro thing. I'd feel the same way if Benn had sat on any other Blues player (whether I liked that player or not). I just hardly see it as some monumental incident that some here see it as, and I think many here draw way too many conclusions about Petro from this one singular incident. Its a thing that happened and the optics of it were terrible but thats about it. People in here make it seem like Petro is skating around the ice against the Stars thinking "I hope I don't get sat on again!" and its just crazy to me.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:58 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:45 pmBut I'm done with it now. I do understand where you are coming from UMSL, and as someone who only recently left the Allen defense squad, I admire your defense of Petro. And again, at least for me, I ain't got too many issues with his d play on the ice for whom he is. But I will never be convinced that he is a great leader and should remain the Blues Captain.
I don't really see what I'm doing here as "defending" a player. This conversation hasn't been about the merits of Petro (who, I think, should be moved this offseason as I think the core is stale, could use a leadership shakeup, and I prefer to keep Tarasenko).

I just think its crazy that people are still on about the Benn sitting on Petro thing. I'd feel the same way if Benn had sat on any other Blues player (whether I liked that player or not). I just hardly see it as some monumental incident that some here see it as, and I think many here draw way too many conclusions about Petro from this one singular incident. Its a thing that happened and the optics of it were terrible but thats about it. People in here make it seem like Petro is skating around the ice against the Stars thinking "I hope I don't get sat on again!" and its just crazy to me.
Hopefully, Petro will be playing somewhere else next season. While we will never agree on the severity of "SitGate," at least it will be history.

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:40 am

shrug right back at ya.

C'mon man....its nothing of the sort. Most of us here probably believe Petro is a good player. i certainly believe he's a good player.,,,i just feel he's quite a bit overrated, Granted there are players I like better but when it comes down to it, I'm not tied to any player long term. I have my own rules in terms of keeping players....not that it applies to any actual team but in this day and age with salary, contract length and value...if you've been on my team for 7 years and you are 27 or older and we haven't won anything....I'm moving you for the next wave of younger players.
Amen

barnburner wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Hopefully, Petro will be playing somewhere else next season. While we will never agree on the severity of "SitGate," at least it will be history.
Totally agree. Kind of wonder how Berube feels about. Petro. If Doug does deal him at the draft, then IMO Berube had something to say about it and it accelerated the process. Right now, Berube is only an interim, but by the draft he’ll be the HC so he should get his say.

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:43 pm
barnburner wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Totally agree. Kind of wonder how Berube feels about. Petro. If Doug does deal him at the draft, then IMO Berube had something to say about it and it accelerated the process. Right now, Berube is only an interim, but by the draft he’ll be the HC so he should get his say.
Just my two cents, but I have to believe that Berube is going to want a more involved, aggressive, captain. I'll probably be proven wrong, but if Petro is still here next season, I think the Chief gives the C to either ROR, or Schenn.