Re: Petro mega-thread

ratonmono wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:42 pm If they're not going to keep Petro longterm they need to knock the trade for him out of the park. Trading the best player in a deal for 2-3 lesser pieces is generally not the way you build a winner and whoever they get in return is almost certainly not going to be as good as Petro.
I hate to say it, but we should keep him, unless he refuses to sign before his last year (is it next year, then we better get it done this summer, no more Shattenkirk type shenanigans).

Cotton McKnight wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:53 pm
ratonmono wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:42 pm If they're not going to keep Petro longterm they need to knock the trade for him out of the park. Trading the best player in a deal for 2-3 lesser pieces is generally not the way you build a winner and whoever they get in return is almost certainly not going to be as good as Petro.
I hate to say it, but we should keep him, unless he refuses to sign before his last year (is it next year, then we better get it done this summer, no more Shattenkirk type shenanigans).
Yeah I've been back and forth and all over the place on what to do with him. I just have to point out that our return to relevance as a team coincided with Petro's emergence as a true #1 d-man. I mean if we move him, we move him but I am definitely afraid of what the results will look like.

ratonmono wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:56 pm
Cotton McKnight wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:53 pm
Yeah I've been back and forth and all over the place on what to do with him. I just have to point out that our return to relevance as a team coincided with Petro's emergence as a true #1 d-man. I mean if we move him, we move him but I am definitely afraid of what the results will look like.
I just read through the first few pages of this thread, forgetting how old it was (some good remarks from when he signed his extension back in '13 and then when us outcasts came on here in '15).

I have to admit that Petro has played an outstanding playoffs so far. Even though he can be a weak bitch when he get's hammered on the boards repeatedly, there are not many dmen who don't. Chara, Buff, Burns, and maybe a few others can handles relentless forechecking, but they are the top 10 d men in the league. Petro is still in that top 20 of current all around dmen IMHO and does many other things very good to great.

Point being, we all hold our team's players to a higher standard, and for players like Petro who have been on the team so long, is also a minute muncher, AND is the team's Captain, that spotlight is even brighter and hotter.

Look at it this way: If before this series started we would say that the Blues D was better and would get more points than the Jets D, you'd say I was crazy. But they did. Blues dmen had 15 points total to only 10 for the Jets, and of the 10 points, 8 came from Buff, 2 goals and 6 assists...same assist total that Petro has. 5 different Blues had at least two points..basically all Dmen except Bortz and Gunner.

I know it's only one series, and we may have a revisit with #sitgate in the next round vs Benn's Stars. However, this team, this 18/19 Blues team has done nothing but surprise everyone so far this season. Who's to say it won't continue to surprise us, and Petro continues his strong play. Not saying to award him an extension now, but if you watch other teams D, you can see that we don't have it that bad, and there is a reason 30 other fan-bases would love to have our 'problem Captain' on their team.

I do hope Petro helps take this team so deep into the playoffs and win the Cup just so DA can give him a ridiculous contract :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Petro usually shows up in the playoffs...he gets hammered on the forecheck, but he still goes back to get the puck every time. Anyone see that Dougie Hamilton play where he let Ovechkin get the puck last game? Yikes. Off topic but goes to show how a hard forecheck can get in some guys heads.

The Hawks series we won on the Brouwer goal, Petro was amazing in that series. Outplayed Keith and it was a big reason we won. He tailed off a bit against Dallas that year and then didn't play well against San Jose at all. Hopefully he can keep his play up through the entire postseason this time around.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank god we didn’t draft Luke Schenn 11 years ago.
The first round of that draft was full of land mines. You mentioned Schenn (the bad one) at 5, but Bogosian at 3...really of the top 10 I'd say only 4 of them (Stamkos, Doughty, Petro, Josh Bailey) were what you could consider "good" picks. You could make an argument that the picks 15-30 (Karlsson, Carlson, Eberle) of that first round was more impactful than the top 10. There are always some disappointments early and steals late, but that draft stands out as particularly ugly overall in the first.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2008e.html
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:07 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank god we didn’t draft Luke Schenn 11 years ago.
The first round of that draft was full of land mines. You mentioned Schenn (the bad one) at 5, but Bogosian at 3...really of the top 10 I'd say only 4 of them (Stamkos, Doughty, Petro, Josh Bailey) were what you could consider "good" picks. You could make an argument that the picks 15-30 (Karlsson, Carlson, Eberle) of that first round was more impactful than the top 10. There are always some disappointments early and steals late, but that draft stands out as particularly ugly overall in the first.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2008e.html
I will be honest....Schenn was my target in that draft....doesn't always work out for me. He was an absolute stud in the WJC's that year....I thought he was better than Doughty.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"