Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Stars - 7:00 - FSMW/ESPN+ - 3/2

Beatoni12 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:50 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 am
Beatoni12 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:21 am

https://twitter.com/globekpd/status/110 ... 64320?s=21

Not sure I linked that properly on my phone, but apparently Backes is choosing to ignore them. We should never be surprised hockey players think like this, but that seems incredibly stupid just to stay in the lineup.
How much money is enough money?
That’s the thing, it’s not about money at all. He’s gonna get paid the same regardless of what he does. He’s choosing to do this just so he can stay in the lineup as opposed to sit in the press box, where he’d get paid the exact same amount.
Yeah, I get that, but there comes a time to walk away from whatever job one's body can't handle anymore. I've been there and done that. It's not the end of the world...but in Backes' scenario, if he doesn't, it could be.

MissouriMook wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:17 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:07 pm Since we’re talking about leadership and captaincy, etc., David Backes just had his 3rd fight in 4 games for Bruins. Backes, standing up for Johansen, who got knocked out of the game by Ferland. Backes on the next shift takes Ferland on off the next faceoff as retribution. I think Berube would have a lot of respect for David if he was still here.
Where was Chara in all of this? What a shitty captain.
sigh. once a-fucking-gain, no one is saying petro has to fight all the battles or that we expect him to. what we do expect from a C is to inspire the team to fight for each other, which Chara clearly does, and Petro clearly, historically, hasn't.

T.C. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:48 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:07 pm Since we’re talking about leadership and captaincy, etc., David Backes just had his 3rd fight in 4 games for Bruins. Backes, standing up for Johansen, who got knocked out of the game by Ferland. Backes on the next shift takes Ferland on off the next faceoff as retribution. I think Berube would have a lot of respect for David if he was still here.
sigh. once a-fucking-gain, no one is saying petro has to fight all the battles or that we expect him to. what we do expect from a C is to inspire the team to fight for each other, which Chara clearly does, and Petro clearly, historically, hasn't.
Ah, inspiration. Great theme. I'm sure you and the other Petro detractors would be happy to provide all of the information you have at your disposal as to what Petro ISN'T doing on the bench and in the locker room to "inspire" the team that a "good captain" would be doing. No? As usual, we have another player in the game of "let's rush to crap on the captain even though I really don't know what goes on in the locker room, or on the bench or on the ice, but dammit I think he is a bad captain because I don't like a captain that doesn't fight". For fuck's sake, what does "inspire the team to fight for each other" even mean in the context of what a guy like Chara does and Petro doesn't?

So tell me, if I go out and give a Knute Rockne level speech to a team and they play pretty meh and don't fight for each other, is that on me or on them? As usual, this whole theme around Petro as a leader has a hell of a lot more to do with what the other 17 skaters have refused to do for each other (did you even watch them the first three months of the season?) than it does with him as a leader.

insideout wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:58 pm
I don't know where Chara was at the time, but I'm fairly sure Justin Williams wasn't sitting on him.
😀😆

MissouriMook wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm
T.C. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:48 pm
Ah, inspiration. Great theme. I'm sure you and the other Petro detractors would be happy to provide all of the information you have at your disposal as to what Petro ISN'T doing on the bench and in the locker room to "inspire" the team that a "good captain" would be doing. No? As usual, we have another player in the game of "let's rush to crap on the captain even though I really don't know what goes on in the locker room, or on the bench or on the ice, but dammit I think he is a bad captain because I don't like a captain that doesn't fight". For fuck's sake, what does "inspire the team to fight for each other" even mean in the context of what a guy like Chara does and Petro doesn't?

So tell me, if I go out and give a Knute Rockne level speech to a team and they play pretty meh and don't fight for each other, is that on me or on them? As usual, this whole theme around Petro as a leader has a hell of a lot more to do with what the other 17 skaters have refused to do for each other (did you even watch them the first three months of the season?) than it does with him as a leader.
you're right. i don't know. i only know what i've seen on the ice over the last few years. my hypothesis is that if a behavior makes it onto the ice, things must be way worse than they appear for such a manifestation to occur, given these are all professional athletes. i could be completely wrong. the point was to counter your argument which seems to be that all petro detractors demand he drop the gloves at every perceived slight. not remotely the case, as i see it.

Re: Petro megathread

IMHO, Petro isn't the right leader for the Blues because he doesn't even want to be here. How engaged is Petro off the ice with the community? When was the last time, when we had a bad game that he took questions? The last time he DID give an interview with Panger and you saw him high fiving fans on the way out.

I like Petro's Gane as a dman. But his leadership skills suck wind. Personally, I cannot remember a teams captain who was less engaged on and off the ice than Petro.

Please share with me something I've missed, because it is possible since I don't get all the STL news down here, bit that's my perception of his captaincy.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I hate to keep harping on it but I’m kind of late to the party. The thing is that Petro will never live this down for the rest of his career. Unless he does something about it at this point. Benn took his lunch money and still dangles it in front of him. As a MAN, you cannot let that happen, and especially not in a physically competitive sport. I’m not saying he has to fight everyone in the league, but you have to make an example out of somebody.

His trade value also went down that day.

Players look for any weaknesses they can find on their opponents and try to exploit them to the fullest. I’ll bet this gets mentioned in every opposing locker room before every Blues game.

insideout wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:58 pm
I don't know where Chara was at the time, but I'm fairly sure Justin Williams wasn't sitting on him.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Re: Rampage Rookie D/Blues Prospect Mitch Reinke

Petro is a huge problem. I don’t like it that he’s our captain. That just increases the likelihood of retaining him. Blues wouldn’t of made him captain if they didnt think he was the future. He should of been gone by now. Blues could enhance their chances of continuity by trading Petro but instead will most likely extend him to a long term deal which IMO will seal the deal for a rough road ahead.

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:57 am Petro is a huge problem. I don’t like it that he’s our captain. That just increases the likelihood of retaining him. Blues wouldn’t of made him captain if they didnt think he was the future. He should of been gone by now. Blues could enhance their chances of continuity by trading Petro but instead will most likely extend him to a long term deal which IMO will seal the deal for a rough road ahead.
yeah.

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:57 am Petro is a huge problem. I don’t like it that he’s our captain. That just increases the likelihood of retaining him. Blues wouldn’t of made him captain if they didnt think he was the future. He should of been gone by now. Blues could enhance their chances of continuity by trading Petro but instead will most likely extend him to a long term deal which IMO will seal the deal for a rough road ahead.
Jmo, but it's my belief that Berube will name O'Reilly as the new captain next year, whether Petro is here or not. Time and again when discussing O'Reilly, Berube has talked about what a great leader he is. Maybe I've missed it, but I've never heard him describe Petro even once in that manner. Again, this is just my take, but I've just never thought Petro was the sort of Captain that would be a good fit for Berube. Hell, Petro is not blind. He sees ROR taking these younger players out on the ice for extra work after practices, sharing his experience, etc. I would not be at all surprised, if Petro has not already started thinking about stepping down from wearing the C next season. It can't be comfortable wearing the C, when everybody knows who the real leader on the team is.

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:43 am
BluesSK wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:05 amTime to get out the Petro megathread again. :)
And to think, this thread started out so hopefully as a story about a young prospect in the AHL who "set a new single-season franchise record with 37 points, the most ever by a Rampage rookie defenseman." What was his name again? :roll:
I blame Petro for this thread being derailed. If he was a true captain, we would still be talking about Reinke.
KA-KAW!

Beatoni12 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:37 pm I don’t think it’s the ideal situation, but depending what other moves are made, having Petro play out his last year and letting him walk might not be the worst option. Cap space is a huge commodity these days and we may be in a situation where trading Petro before end of next year will make us a worse team at the time, therefore you keep him for the year and gain the cap space afterwards.

It’s really just the reverse of trading picks / prospects for a veteran, but you’re just not adding them as opposed to losing them.

I would expect NHLTim to be fully supportive of going for it and not worrying about the future!!!
Why not trade him this offseason? You get the cap space, assets coming back and time to bring in someone else if you go prospects/picks as the return in the trade. I think I would personally go that route.

Doug Glatt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:42 am
Beatoni12 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:37 pm I don’t think it’s the ideal situation, but depending what other moves are made, having Petro play out his last year and letting him walk might not be the worst option. Cap space is a huge commodity these days and we may be in a situation where trading Petro before end of next year will make us a worse team at the time, therefore you keep him for the year and gain the cap space afterwards.

It’s really just the reverse of trading picks / prospects for a veteran, but you’re just not adding them as opposed to losing them.

I would expect NHLTim to be fully supportive of going for it and not worrying about the future!!!
Why not trade him this offseason? You get the cap space, assets coming back and time to bring in someone else if you go prospects/picks as the return in the trade. I think I would personally go that route.
I think that’s a great idea. I think you would get more value for him in the off-season than you would at the trade deadline. You would also have the full season to work in new player(s) on the defense as opposed to only having maybe 20 games with them after the trade deadline.

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:47 pm IMHO, Petro isn't the right leader for the Blues because he doesn't even want to be here. How engaged is Petro off the ice with the community? When was the last time, when we had a bad game that he took questions? The last time he DID give an interview with Panger and you saw him high fiving fans on the way out.

I like Petro's Gane as a dman. But his leadership skills suck wind. Personally, I cannot remember a teams captain who was less engaged on and off the ice than Petro.

Please share with me something I've missed, because it is possible since I don't get all the STL news down here, bit that's my perception of his captaincy.
This is why he should have the C stripped ceremoniously. "You don't seem to give a crap about the C, so how about we just take it away from you?"
Doug Glatt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:42 am Why not trade him this offseason? You get the cap space, assets coming back and time to bring in someone else if you go prospects/picks as the return in the trade. I think I would personally go that route.
I would like to keep Petro, but if he is just biding his time to be somewhere else, then let's move him this summer and take our lumps next year with a semi rebuild (unless our depth O'Defense wants to surprise us).