David Levin seeking history as NHL’s first Israeli player

David Levin seeking to make history as NHL’s first Israeli player
Daniel J. Friedman
Friday August 26th, 2016

Quickly
  • After growing up playing roller hockey in Israel, Sudbury winger David Levin is on a path to the NHL and shares an achievement with John Tavares, Connor McDavid and other stars.
A biblical story tells of Abraham’s departure from his birthplace, toward a land that God promises the forefathers will be a home in which their descendants grow and prosper.

Among those who have made aliyah (immigration to Israel) are Pavel and Lena Levin, originating from Latvia and Russia, respectively. Their 16-year-old son, David, fell in love with hockey and, like Abraham, left his homeland four years ago to develop his game in Canada. Through hard work and dedication to his craft, he is pushing toward his own Promised Land—the NHL. ...

Levin amassed 30 points in 47 games during his rookie season for the (OHL's) Sudbury Wolves. Odds are, there are many more to come.

He’s also well aware of the potential ripple effects of his actions, though for now, he’s just happy to be doing what he loves every day.

“I’ve thought about it for sure, but I’m trying not to think about it a lot,” he said. “I’m going to the rink every morning to just work hard and do my best every day. My time will come.” ...

Read more at: http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/08/26/david- ... ael-hockey