NHL to begin expansion

The league's board of governors has announced the beginning of the expansion process.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hoc ... on-process

Cities like Seattle, Vegas, Quebec City, maybe even Toronto all in the mix.
My guess would be expansion to 32 teams with las Vegas and Seattle entering now, while Quebec is first in line for the next team that relocates. So Arizona.

Bettman says expansion fee likely to be set around $500 million plus; teams would start in 2017-18 at earliest.
Last edited by Oates2Hullie450 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: NHL to begin expansion

Hell yeah! Maybe St. Louis can finally get a team.... ;)

Seriously, what will happen is there will be a new rule put into place that your top point producer must be made eligible for the expansion draft. One way or another the NHL will get Tarasenko out STL :(
"Do Only Good Everyday"

insideout wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Dumb idea. Talent is already too watered down as it is.
I hear people say this a lot. What's the basis of this argument? Seems like a the talent pool is deeper now than ever.
Agreed. On most nights it seems like 16-17 of the guys on the ice for each team actually belong in the NHL.

insideout wrote:
I hear people say this a lot. What's the basis of this argument? Seems like a the talent pool is deeper now than ever.
Agreed. I do think there is a bit lacking in top scorers at the moment but the 3rd-4th liners and bottom pairing defensemen are better now than they were even 10 years ago. The league could absolutely stand to expand to two more teams. Two more teams means worse players at the bottom of the lineup and easier matchups for the top guys to prey upon. Also there's too damned many good huge goalies but that's another topic altogether.

insideout wrote:
No way. In the 80s with fewer teams you had MANY more 100 point scorers and a more run and gun game. Not to mention more fighting.

By adding more teams you are simply adding more players who would be toiling in the minors if we had the same number of teams we had in the 80s.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
insideout wrote:
No way. In the 80s with fewer teams you had MANY more 100 point scorers and a more run and gun game. Not to mention more fighting.

By adding more teams you are simply adding more players who would be toiling in the minors if we had the same number of teams we had in the 80s.
Watch highlights of great plays from the '80s, only instead of focusing on the goal scorers, watch the hapless defenders and goalies trying to stop them. I would argue that the drop in scoring is due to MUCH improved defensive play and goaltending, as well as more effective defensive schemes. In this sense, watering down the talent might actually lead to more offense. A guy like David Perron is the perfect example. Dude has ridiculous skills and would have been a PPG guy in the '80s. But he struggles to get 50 or 60 against today's world-class defense and goaltending. Perhaps highly skilled players in a 32-team league would put up better numbers if they were up against more players who would otherwise be "toiling in the minors."