Re: Hitch officially back

insideout wrote:So what happens if the trade market is dry?
That's the big question. If Army can't get anything for these guys then this is going to be one ugly season. I hope Armstrong is reading things correctly here and that the market will be amenable to what Army wants to do.

ratonmono wrote:
That's the big question. If Army can't get anything for these guys then this is going to be one ugly season. I hope Armstrong is reading things correctly here and that the market will be amenable to what Army wants to do.
There are plenty of teams that will be looking to make a splash this offseason. The Bruins, Sharks, Leafs and Flyers all instantly come to mind as potential partners.

bradleygt89 wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:This is nothing but a good thing. Can't wait for Army to deliver us some new presents soon. Feels like Christmas is coming soon!
you're a LOT more optimistic than I am my friend. I just don't see DA being able to move, or more specifically, wanting to make the kind of moves that we think they should.

I just don't have faith in DA anymore to make the right kind of moves to build a team. Assemble a good bunch of skill? Yes. But this current roster he has built is such a mish-mash of everything.

Teams biggest issue IMO has been and still is identity. Hoping you are right though Tim, because from my now negative viewpoint, it's looking more like April Fools & Groundhog Day combined.
Army is now pretty much a lame duck. He has one year remaining to get this figured out. He's going to do everything possible to keep his job. While we look at guys like Backes, Steen, Oshie...etc and see failure...Other GM's don't see those guys like that. They all have value and other GM's will pay for that value.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

MIZDSP wrote:
ratonmono wrote:
There are plenty of teams that will be looking to make a splash this offseason. The Bruins, Sharks, Leafs and Flyers all instantly come to mind as potential partners.
Hope you're right, but how many of those teams are looking for veterans like Oshie, Backes, Steen, Bouwmeester? I don't know that the Leafs or Sharks want to be taking on older players.

ratonmono wrote:
Hopefully he is....he can start with my requested Bergeron and Marchand deal! :lol:

"Suck a dick Johansen"

I'm dont like this at all. Army and Hitch could feel like they are backed into a corner and start trading picks and prospects as throw ins to stack the bench. It might prove [flash=][/flash]costly in a few years. Not saying it will happen but with the history of this team I might be on social security before we see another first round pick.

I may like the song raped and freezing but I Damn sure don't want to feel that way.

You can put me on the side that thinks this is just simply a sign of what to expect this off-season. I know NHLTim keeps thumping a major overhaul to come soon, but I just simply do not see it happening.

I think most of the team from last year will be back with the exception of 1 or 2 guys.

Color me unexcited.

The team will quit on Hitchcock and either get him fired by Christmas or miss the playoffs and this thing will have to be blown completely up.

wizard pork sword wrote:You can put me on the side that thinks this is just simply a sign of what to expect this off-season. I know NHLTim keeps thumping a major overhaul to come soon, but I just simply do not see it happening.

I think most of the team from last year will be back with the exception of 1 or 2 guys.

Color me unexcited.

The team will quit on Hitchcock and either get him fired by Christmas or miss the playoffs and this thing will have to be blown completely up.
There has to be significant changes coming just for the sole reason that the players could revolt and try to get him fired. If they don't trade at least 2 core guys, I will be shocked. It has to happen, there is no way it can't happen.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote:
wizard pork sword wrote:You can put me on the side that thinks this is just simply a sign of what to expect this off-season. I know NHLTim keeps thumping a major overhaul to come soon, but I just simply do not see it happening.

Color me unexcited.

There has to be significant changes coming just for the sole reason that the players could revolt and try to get him fired. If they don't trade at least 2 core guys, I will be shocked. It has to happen, there is no way it can't happen.
Most of the "core" players have a NTC so I don't expect any of them to be moved. I mean why would a guy like Backes or Steen accept a trade to a team that they will most certainly have a lesser role on(especially Backes) unless you think they hate Hitch that much that they would up their situation and family simply to get away when odds are they can just try again to get him fired. But they surely won't do it to go to a place like Edmonton.

Oshie is pretty much the only one who can't veto a trade. I just don't think the market will be there and Army won't trade them just to trade them. Add to that Oshie's value is about as low as it's ever been.

I really hope you're right but most thought Hitch would be gone for sure and here we are, typing in his re-signing thread.

wizard pork sword wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:

Color me unexcited.

Most of the "core" players have a NTC so I don't expect any of them to be moved. I mean why would a guy like Backes or Steen accept a trade to a team that they will most certainly have a lesser role on(especially Backes) unless you think they hate Hitch that much that they would up their situation and family simply to get away when odds are they can just try again to get him fired. But they surely won't do it to go to a place like Edmonton.

Oshie is pretty much the only one who can't veto a trade. I just don't think the market will be there and Army won't trade them just to trade them. Add to that Oshie's value is about as low as it's ever been.

I really hope you're right but most thought Hitch would be gone for sure and here we are, typing in his re-signing thread.
Those guys are professionals, if the Blues come to them and say they have a trade worked out, they aren't going to stay where they aren't wanted. Granted they might not waive to go to Edmonton but I'm not even worried about that and as Army said in end of season presser, "If I ever have a guy that won't accept a deal, I'll just waive him"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Exactly WPS; I remember when I was all for firing Hitch back in Dec that those who thought I was crazy even said IF we get tossed in the first round to a lesser opponent, they'd expect Hitch to be fired. And look what happened.

This Blues franchise at this moment is the fucking Titanic; the shipbuilder (DA) going down with the Captain (Hitch) - FULL SPEED AHEAD BOYS! DAMN THE ICEBERGS! :twisted:
"Do Only Good Everyday"

NHLTIM wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:This is nothing but a good thing. Can't wait for Army to deliver us some new presents soon. Feels like Christmas is coming soon!
you're a LOT more optimistic than I am my friend. I just don't see DA being able to move, or more specifically, wanting to make the kind of moves that we think they should.

I just don't have faith in DA anymore to make the right kind of moves to build a team. Assemble a good bunch of skill? Yes. But this current roster he has built is such a mish-mash of everything.

Teams biggest issue IMO has been and still is identity. Hoping you are right though Tim, because from my now negative viewpoint, it's looking more like April Fools & Groundhog Day combined.
Army is now pretty much a lame duck. He has one year remaining to get this figured out. He's going to do everything possible to keep his job. While we look at guys like Backes, Steen, Oshie...etc and see failure...Other GM's don't see those guys like that. They all have value and other GM's will pay for that value.
I agree that the players Army will want to trade will have value but my concern is that now that it's obvious that Army pretty much has to trade some of these guys, he won't be acting from a position of strength as other GMs will try to take advantage of his desperation.

I'm excited at the possibilities of what moves may be done this summer but I caution my excitement as Army may not be able to find many/any trades that really help the team, especially since he'll be working from a bit of a position of weakness.

MIZDSP wrote:
ratonmono wrote:
The Flyers already made a splash by signing Aaron Palushaj :lol:

NHLTIM wrote:
Those guys are professionals, if the Blues come to them and say they have a trade worked out, they aren't going to stay where they aren't wanted. Granted they might not waive to go to Edmonton but I'm not even worried about that and as Army said in end of season presser, "If I ever have a guy that won't accept a deal, I'll just waive him"

1. I question how much of a professionals they are.

2. Waiving them and letting them get claimed for nothing makes zero sense. Especially if it comes after all the Free-Agents are pretty much signed else where.

I'm not trying to be Wizard Negative Sword, but I truly think those expecting a huge over-haul are going to be disappointed.

Other possibility:

Say at this press conference, Hitch says this is his last year. He's retiring after this year, no matter what. What then? Does that motivate players to play better for him? Or does it increase his lame-duck-ness?

Not saying that will happen. But perhaps an interesting scenario.

bradleygt89 wrote:Exactly WPS; I remember when I was all for firing Hitch back in Dec that those who thought I was crazy even said IF we get tossed in the first round to a lesser opponent, they'd expect Hitch to be fired. And look what happened.

This Blues franchise at this moment is the fucking Titanic; the shipbuilder (DA) going down with the Captain (Hitch) - FULL SPEED AHEAD BOYS! DAMN THE ICEBERGS! :twisted:
I definitely expected Hitch to walk away especially after another first round exit, I knew there was no way Army would ever fire him. It was either going to be him or some of the guys in the room....never thought it would be both though and the Blues have now made their choice.
With that said, there just wasn't much out there on the coaching front. Next year if they need to they can go in a different direction coaching wise but it makes a lot of sense to move some players out first and give it one more shot.
Once our guys were done playing and headed straight for the golf course and the Caribbean. Hitch stayed and headed to the media room to watch tape every day. At least we know he's dedicated.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

bradleygt89 wrote:Exactly WPS; I remember when I was all for firing Hitch back in Dec that those who thought I was crazy even said IF we get tossed in the first round to a lesser opponent, they'd expect Hitch to be fired. And look what happened.

Which will really make the metaphor "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" appropriate when they move someone like Gunnarsson and claim "hey, look we made changes!"

Also, let's not forget that IF someone significant gets traded, there will be all sorts of butt-hurt bullshit in the locker-room because "the mean old manager and coach didn't like my buddy and I just can't play good hockey if my pal isn't there to shower with me after the game."

I fully expect the narrative of "lost production" due to someone departing and the remaining line-mates not being able to adjust. I'm sure we will hear that at least once this year if someone, anyone, is shipped out.

NHLTIM wrote:

I definitely expected Hitch to walk away especially after another first round exit, I knew there was no way Army would ever fire him. It was either going to be him or some of the guys in the room....never thought it would be both though and the Blues have now made their choice.
With that said, there just wasn't much out there on the coaching front. Next year if they need to they can go in a different direction coaching wise but it makes a lot of sense to move some players out first and give it one more shot.
Once our guys were done playing and headed straight for the golf course and the Caribbean. Hitch stayed and headed to the media room to watch tape every day. At least we know he's dedicated.
I'd love to hear what he found on the tape. It'll never happen, but that would be good shit.

(Tub of popcorn. Butter all over his face and dripping off his chin onto his grey hooded sweatshirt, sitting in the dark with the flicker of the screen illuminating his face) "Buy in. You guys gotta buy in...200ft game. Not playing the right way. (smashes more popcorn into his mouth) Hit 'em again Ott. Dump it. DUMP IT! No thinking! JUST DUMP IT IN!!! MuAHahahahaha!!!

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:I can think of one poster over at the asylum whose head is probably exploding right now...
Let me guess? "In the Crease"?
Yup, thats who came to mind! :lol:
Well, thinking about it that way retaining Hitch has now moved up to my mental "Win" column.