Re: Blues Offseason News Thread

BluesSK wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:39 pm We always think we are over paying for a D-man but at their end of their contract it usually looks like a bargain.

(Scandella being the exception)
Who have the Blues actually signed to long term deals on D that this fits? Most of their D from Parayko to Petro to Jackman were home grown.

Faulk and Krug are still in there’s so who knows how they end.

The only other big name free agents I can think of are Jay McKee and Sean Hill but that’s going way back
Just a Russian propaganda account

Robb_K wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:36 pm I also think that The Blues fans that are impatient with Kyrou's inconsistency, poor play when he doesn't have the puck, lack of progress in his defensive game, and disappearing at times, and so, wanting Army to trade him off, are giving up on him early. The Blues need to shift the bulk of their core of key players from mainly the older ones towards being mainly the younger ones. Right now, their main core players that guarantee them a decent future is uncomfortably small, having only Thomas Buchnevich, Kyrou, and Perunovich. Trading off Kyrou for a veteran Top 4 defenceman, before he even has a chance to show what level of player he will become, is a big mistake, unless the defence man received in return is a already proven to be a can't-miss difference maker on The NHL level. It's difficult to find forwards with Kyrou's offensive upside, drafting near the end of The First round every year. Trading large amounts of player assets AND never having difference-making forwards on their low-cost rookie contracts, KILLS teams' chances of icing Cup championship teams, in the long run. So drafting and home-growing such players is a must. Trading off reasonable candidates to become such players too early is a bad mistake, unless they are replaced by a player of similar age or younger, and a similar or better upside. If I were Army, I'd be careful of letting Buchnevich, Thomas, or Kyrou go before we've seen a year or two more of them, given their recent breakouts, and their recent progression in their games.
To be fair, the only trade scenarios I've ever pushed Kyrou is for Matthew Tkachuck only. If we dont get MT in return, we NEED to keep JK
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:35 pm
Robb_K wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:36 pm I also think that The Blues fans that are impatient with Kyrou's inconsistency, poor play when he doesn't have the puck, lack of progress in his defensive game, and disappearing at times, and so, wanting Army to trade him off, are giving up on him early. The Blues need to shift the bulk of their core of key players from mainly the older ones towards being mainly the younger ones. Right now, their main core players that guarantee them a decent future is uncomfortably small, having only Thomas Buchnevich, Kyrou, and Perunovich. Trading off Kyrou for a veteran Top 4 defenceman, before he even has a chance to show what level of player he will become, is a big mistake, unless the defence man received in return is a already proven to be a can't-miss difference maker on The NHL level. It's difficult to find forwards with Kyrou's offensive upside, drafting near the end of The First round every year. Trading large amounts of player assets AND never having difference-making forwards on their low-cost rookie contracts, KILLS teams' chances of icing Cup championship teams, in the long run. So drafting and home-growing such players is a must. Trading off reasonable candidates to become such players too early is a bad mistake, unless they are replaced by a player of similar age or younger, and a similar or better upside. If I were Army, I'd be careful of letting Buchnevich, Thomas, or Kyrou go before we've seen a year or two more of them, given their recent breakouts, and their recent progression in their games.
To be fair, the only trade scenarios I've ever pushed Kyrou is for Matthew Tkachuck only. If we dont get MT in return, we NEED to keep JK
Yup.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:24 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:39 pm We always think we are over paying for a D-man but at their end of their contract it usually looks like a bargain.

Who have the Blues actually signed to long term deals on D that this fits? Most of their D from Parayko to Petro to Jackman were home grown.

The only other big name free agents I can think of are Jay McKee and Sean Hill but that’s going way back
I actually mis-typed on that. What I meant was that the price for dmen has almost always caught up to what we (as hockey fans) think are overpayments.

A good example that affected the Blues was JayBo. Especially when he was struggling with his injuries. When he finally shook off the injuries his contract looked like a bargain.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:23 am

I actually mis-typed on that. What I meant was that the price for dmen has almost always caught up to what we (as hockey fans) think are overpayments.

A good example that affected the Blues was JayBo. Especially when he was struggling with his injuries. When he finally shook off the injuries his contract looked like a bargain.
This is a good take. Even Scandella's overpay isn't THAT bad. He only makes $3.25 M, and to be honest its probably not that hard of a contract to trade with only 2 years left. He's an NHL level defenseman, just replaceable by internal guys that cost less here. Just speculation here, but if he were a UFA today he probably gets something around $2M.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:32 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:23 am

This is a good take. Even Scandella's overpay isn't THAT bad. He only makes $3.25 M, and to be honest its probably not that hard of a contract to trade with only 2 years left. He's an NHL level defenseman, just replaceable by internal guys that cost less here. Just speculation here, but if he were a UFA today he probably gets something around $2M.
I think that puts him at around 90th in terms of NHL defensemen. which would make him a #3-4 defenseman across the league in terms of pay. Granted, that's not necessarily a #3-4 on a team challenging for the Cup like we're shooting for, but across the league, I think that's what he'd probably get.

From JR's latest Athletic piece on the Blues off-season. Below is the list of players that range from Listening to offers to as good as gone. If you don't see their name on the list he expect em back.

https://theathletic.com/3374258/2022/06 ... -who-goes/

Vladimir Tarasenko

This is a tricky situation, but the bottom line is that you have to listen if the phone rings. That doesn’t mean you have to trade him, but you have to listen. His 34-goal, 82-point season had to entice someone, and since he’s not signed beyond next summer and has asked for a trade in the past, it has to be a consideration.

Marco Scandella

This isn’t to imply that the Blues are receiving offers. I put him in this category because if the team is talking trade, he’s a player who you might try to include in the deal. He has two years left on his contract, and moving his $3.275 AAV would free up valuable cap space.

Could be on the move
Nick Leddy

He’ll be a UFA in July if not re-signed by the Blues. He could help the blue line, but it may be too expensive. If the 31-year-old veteran went to the market, he might find a four- or five-year contract with a $5 million AAV, and that’s probably more than the Blues can afford.

Ville Husso

Likewise, he’ll be a UFA if not re-signed, and going to market is looking like a strong possibility. Husso is looking for a big payday in free agency and, considering the underwhelming list of available goalies this summer, he’ll likely get it. So barring the unforeseen, he’ll be leaving.

So long
Tyler Bozak

You never say never, especially with Armstrong’s affinity for respected veterans, but it appears to be the end of the road for Bozak in St. Louis. If so, it was a terrific four seasons that included 220 regular-season games, 50 playoff games, and, of course, a Stanley Cup.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:31 pm From JR's latest Athletic piece on the Blues off-season. Below is the list of players that range from Listening to offers to as good as gone. If you don't see their name on the list he expect em back.

Vladimir Tarasenko

This is a tricky situation, but the bottom line is that you have to listen if the phone rings. That doesn’t mean you have to trade him, but you have to listen. His 34-goal, 82-point season had to entice someone, and since he’s not signed beyond next summer and has asked for a trade in the past, it has to be a consideration.

Marco Scandella

This isn’t to imply that the Blues are receiving offers. I put him in this category because if the team is talking trade, he’s a player who you might try to include in the deal. He has two years left on his contract, and moving his $3.275 AAV would free up valuable cap space.

Could be on the move
Nick Leddy

He’ll be a UFA in July if not re-signed by the Blues. He could help the blue line, but it may be too expensive. If the 31-year-old veteran went to the market, he might find a four- or five-year contract with a $5 million AAV, and that’s probably more than the Blues can afford.

Ville Husso

Likewise, he’ll be a UFA if not re-signed, and going to market is looking like a strong possibility. Husso is looking for a big payday in free agency and, considering the underwhelming list of available goalies this summer, he’ll likely get it. So barring the unforeseen, he’ll be leaving.

So long
Tyler Bozak

You never say never, especially with Armstrong’s affinity for respected veterans, but it appears to be the end of the road for Bozak in St. Louis. If so, it was a terrific four seasons that included 220 regular-season games, 50 playoff games, and, of course, a Stanley Cup.
JR's a fucking idiot.... he doesn't have any more idea of what's going to happen than we do.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:39 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:31 pm From JR's latest Athletic piece on the Blues off-season. Below is the list of players that range from Listening to offers to as good as gone. If you don't see their name on the list he expect em back.

Vladimir Tarasenko

Marco Scandella

Could be on the move
Nick Leddy

Ville Husso

So long
Tyler Bozak

JR's a fucking idiot.... he doesn't have any more idea of what's going to happen than we do.
I agree, but I enjoy getting everyone riled up by posting his words.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:39 pm

Vladimir Tarasenko

Marco Scandella

Could be on the move
Nick Leddy

Ville Husso

So long
Tyler Bozak

Come on. If you watched three or four Blues games in your life that might be some cutting edge reporting.

Yeah, who do you think you are JR! Where do you get off writing articles about the roster next season when you should be watching a 1987 Red Wings game instead!?!? You've got some nerve covering a team for well over a decade and writing a couple books about them, no way you know as much about them as random internet posters!! Retire and kick rocks!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:43 pm Yeah, who do you think you are JR! Where do you get off writing articles about the roster next season when you should be watching a 1987 Red Wings game instead!?!? You've got some nerve covering a team for well over a decade and writing a couple books about them, no way you know as much about them as random internet posters!! Retire and kick rocks!!!
I have watched more Blues games in my life than Army which is why I know I would be a better GM than him. He's better for Team Canada than me though.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:05 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:43 pm Yeah, who do you think you are JR! Where do you get off writing articles about the roster next season when you should be watching a 1987 Red Wings game instead!?!? You've got some nerve covering a team for well over a decade and writing a couple books about them, no way you know as much about them as random internet posters!! Retire and kick rocks!!!
I have watched more Blues games in my life than Army which is why I know I would be a better GM than him. He's better for Team Canada than me though.
Anyone can white books about the past...he's attempting to predict what Army is going to do in the future, as if he has some insider knowledge, which is total bullshit.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:18 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:54 am Might be some takes on this board stemming from this column:
Don't like either of them moves if true. Saw in the thread that Tarasenko family wants to go to Florida. That seems legit though.
I don't know how either of the Florida teams could put a package together that makes any sense for the Blues. Maybe there will be some salary cap laundering 3-way deals with AZ and teams like that.

This could be a wild-ass week for the Blues. Draft tonight and tomorrow with potential for a big trade or two. Then just a few days until free agency. I'd imagine Perron re-signs in that period. I don't know how active the Blues will be in free agency, but it wouldn't surprise me if ROR re-signs in short order after he's allowed to once the signing period starts. Armstrong has to re-sign the RFAs as well, which this year is just Perunovich and Mikkola in terms of actual NHL contributors. Not all of that will happen in the next week, but a lot of it probably will. Let's go!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:17 pm This could be a wild-ass week for the Blues. Draft tonight and tomorrow with potential for a big trade or two. Then just a few days until free agency. I'd imagine Perron re-signs in that period. I don't know how active the Blues will be in free agency, but it wouldn't surprise me if ROR re-signs in short order after he's allowed to once the signing period starts. Armstrong has to re-sign the RFAs as well, which this year is just Perunovich and Mikkola in terms of actual NHL contributors. Not all of that will happen in the next week, but a lot of it probably will. Let's go!
ROR can re-sign anytime he wants right? He's not UFA.