Re: News and Games around the NHL

T.C. wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:27 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:20 pm Hmmmmmm...strange things are a foot in the NHL.
are they really a five-toed body part?

here's the entire thread for context and posterity:
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 7.25.52 AM.png

it should have been canceled long ago, as with the rest of last season. trying to do it now, after you scrambled to agree to something, is completely fucked up. i hope they do this, though - it should piss owners and players off enough to maybe finally get rid of bettman. but if they do this, expect some teams to no longer exist when/if the NHL returns.
As much as we all hate him, Bettman works for the NHL owners.

The basic divide is how much the players will have to give back if they do come back this coming season. They obviously don't want to give back much. The league has always been gate driven and the players get 50% of revenues. If Revenues are down because of lack of gate money, the players will have to take less and they are digging in saying they won't.

Vanek: The NHL 'isn't that tough anymore'

Thomas Vanek believes the NHL was a much rougher league earlier in his career.

"The last four-to-five years, besides (Zdeno) Chara, the league isn't that tough anymore. I think we can all agree on that," Vanek said on "The Instigators" podcast recently. "I think early on when we all played together and you got the (Chris) Prongers, the (Derian) Hatchers, that was tough.

"Standing in front of the net, there was no penalties back then. The ref would say, 'Hey, loosen up Pronger' and Pronger would look at the ref and was like 'Don't ever talk to me again.'"

The 36-year-old skipped out on the 2019-20 season, but he hasn't officially retired yet. A veteran of over 1,000 NHL games, Vanek began his career in 2005 and last played during the 2018-19 campaign.

Known for his goal-scoring abilities and net-front presence, Vanek has spent plenty of time battling in the crease. After playing throughout the last two decades, Vanek says he's seen a shift in how defensemen approach the game.

"I don't know if it was really dirty (in the past), that's the way it was - if you go in front of the net, you're taking a punishment," Vanek said. "Now the game has changed. You've got a lot of smaller defensemen who are more mobile. They cross-check a little bit, but those guys are nonexistent really anymore."

The Austrian native has amassed 373 goals and 416 assists over 1,029 career games. He's also been given his fair share of penalties, totaling 547 penalty minutes.

BillP. wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:10 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:16 am
Wonder what the economic impact will be. I heard there were 12-15 owners who didn't want to play. Story was that they were looking at a 60M loss per team if they played as opposed to a 15M loss if they didn't.
If the regular season concludes and no fans are allowed in the stands, I could see $60M being a realistic number. Just looking at the Blues situation, if you assume that the average ticket is $100 and they lose 19,000 in tickets sold over 41 games, that is a little under $78,000,000 they lose at the gate. Sure, they save some costs by not staffing the building, but they also lose their share of concessions and parking. We're probably near the middle of the pack as far as revenue from ticket sales, so others may lose more, some less.

It will be interesting to see what the plan is around whether or not any of the teams will be allowed to allow fans in at all, and what that will look like as the season goes along. I could see getting back to 50% of capacity as some point in April or May as long as vaccine participation reaches a certain level and cases and hospitalizations are declining. Who knows, maybe by the time the playoffs roll around we'll be back closer to 100% attendance with stipulations like mandatory masks and temperature checks.

MissouriMook wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:04 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:10 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:16 am
Wonder what the economic impact will be. I heard there were 12-15 owners who didn't want to play. Story was that they were looking at a 60M loss per team if they played as opposed to a 15M loss if they didn't.
If the regular season concludes and no fans are allowed in the stands, I could see $60M being a realistic number. Just looking at the Blues situation, if you assume that the average ticket is $100 and they lose 19,000 in tickets sold over 41 games, that is a little under $78,000,000 they lose at the gate. Sure, they save some costs by not staffing the building, but they also lose their share of concessions and parking. We're probably near the middle of the pack as far as revenue from ticket sales, so others may lose more, some less.

It will be interesting to see what the plan is around whether or not any of the teams will be allowed to allow fans in at all, and what that will look like as the season goes along. I could see getting back to 50% of capacity as some point in April or May as long as vaccine participation reaches a certain level and cases and hospitalizations are declining. Who knows, maybe by the time the playoffs roll around we'll be back closer to 100% attendance with stipulations like mandatory masks and temperature checks.
Did you hear about some teams inquiring about playing outdoors to draw fans? Teams like Pitt, Boston, LA and Carolina. The teams would have to bank roll the expenses and coordinate the details themselves. The NHL doesn’t sound like it’s on board with the idea.

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:31 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:38 pm I dont think missouri has houses like that... thats a REALLY BIG house/mansion ...
8300 sq. ft. Is "REALLY BIG"? Pffffftttt ... HomesOfTheRich.net: 20,000 Square Foot Brick Mansion in St. Louis, Missouri

And a few more over 8,300 sq. ft. In this Redfin list of Luxury Homes. You need to get out more, Oz.
JEEZUS...no wonder that house is for sale... missourians cant afford that! lol

wonder who had it built....and why in missouri
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:36 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:33 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:16 pm You guys just let me know how the 3rd period goes for almost every single fucking road game.
9:30 start times regularly? Very much looking forward to reading the GDT the next day to see how the team played. I'll still say player X looked like shit though.
We're West Coast Baby!!!! WTF!!!!
"All-Canadian teams" ... So did LeBrun forget the team names? :?

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:49 am
T.C. wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:48 am fucking awful for two reasons:
1) i'll miss most games
2) most of the rivalries we've spent years building are gone

again on point #2, fuck you bettman you fucking retard.
No....fuck you Sinclair Broadcasting...they requested the West Coast
So Wyshinski threw that out there yesterday, then walked it back (he had a rough day of reporting after his reported divisions were incorrect). In walking back the statement, he said that FSMidwest basically didn't NOT request the Western division assignment. I assume this is so there's less confict with Cards games, but who knows. We'll see, but either way there are going to be a lot of late nights, and no chance to beat up on the Hawks/Red Wings while they suck. Bummer.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:25 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:36 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:33 pm
9:30 start times regularly? Very much looking forward to reading the GDT the next day to see how the team played. I'll still say player X looked like shit though.
We're West Coast Baby!!!! WTF!!!!
Move the Blues to Saskatoon and join the all Canadian division
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:53 am
JMC-STL wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:25 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:36 pmWe're West Coast Baby!!!! WTF!!!!
Move the Blues to Saskatoon and join the all Canadian division
Had this damn COVID come a year earlier, the Saskatoon Blues might've staked the claim of being "Defending Stanley Cup Champions." Wouldn't THAT have been a hoot? :dancingbanana: